Lindy Fralin / Nordstrand on P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HotRoded, Oct 26, 2005.

1. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    I have a MIA Precision, and am looking for new pups. I generally fingerpick, with tone 80% rolled off.

Here's what I like with that bass, and don't want to loose:
    - fat tone, vintage/growly
    - good punch at attack
    - big bottom

What I'm looking for:
    - more define sound / more clarity

I like how my bass sounds, I'm just looking for a better quality sound.

From what I have seen,
    - Lindy Fralin? overwound? By how much?
    - Nordstrand?
    - Fender Original P-?
  2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Duncan Antiquity I's for the ultra fat 50's tone.
    Duncan Antiquity II's for the 60's fat growl tone.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those, and I seriously considered getting the Fralin for my 2004 MIA P-bass, because I loved the tone when I tried some Lakland Bob Glaubs. But I wanted high output for hard rock, and after an unsatisfying stint with a DiMarzio Model P, I tried Seymour Duncan's SPB-2 Hot for P-bass. So far I'm very happy with it, because it provides thick, punchy, classic P-bass tone with high output. It also has the vintage warmth that I didn't find in the DiMarzio.

It's tonally similar to stock, but a fatter, beefier version with more low end clarity. Treble is slightly pulled back, but it's plenty clear up there too. No mud unless you want it. It's a great all-purpose pickup, with the low-mids emphasis of the P-bass. So you might like it, except I think the growl factor is pretty low. It's more smooth than growly/grindy, but it certainly growls some, and this can be enhanced with string selection, technique, etc. (If you want growly/grindy, the DiMarzio has this in spades.) Based on my recollection of the Fralin, I think it has a grittier tone, but I tried it a long time ago so I wouldn't swear to it.
  4. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Do you know if these fit right in or does the cavity in the body needs to be modified or carved?
  5. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    I put a Nordstrand P in my 2000 MIA and It sounds great! The original pickup was good and smooth, but the Nordstrand just seems to have more character to it. I had to use the pickup cover from the original as the Nordstrand one wouldn't fit inside my aftermarket pickguard (no big deal, I could have filed the pickguard for the Nordstrand cover to fit).
    Sounds like you want the same tone I do with the P Bass. I think you'll really like the Nordstrand.
  6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    the Fralins are the best P pickups to get the real vintage P tone. I have two Glaubs because of that