lindy fralin or nordstrand js? Series/Parellel question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunderwood, May 20, 2007.

1. Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Mar 20, 2007
    Delafield, WI
    Hi,
    I have an american standard jazz bass with s-1 switch. I love my jazz bass, it is the only bass so far that I've felt somewhat content with but I feel the pickups are lacking a bit. I was thinking about putting in a set of lindy fralin or norstrand nj4 js into my bass but upon speculation came across a question I could not find an answer to myself. So I turn to you tech-heads in the electronics/pickup forum. My question is this; with the above upgraded pickups can these still be compatible with the s-1 switch? this question only concerns me because while some have mixed feelings about the s-1 switch, I simply love the idea and love the additional versatility this button brings to my tone. You get that lovely classic jazz bass tone with the switch off and with the switch on it just beefs up the tone and sounds incredible for slapping.

Also anyone who can make a fair judgment between the two desired pickups please post your opinions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks guys!
    Talkbass is one of the most insightful places for bassists and I love it here!

2. The general consensus I've heard is that both pickups are pretty accurate, great-sounding vintage-style pickups. The difference is small, but apparently Fralins sound a bit more raw and natural while Nordstrands are better-balanced and even.

As you can see, all of these qualities can be very positive. It depends on preference, but I don't even think it's worth A/Bing them. Either way you won't be disappointed.

3. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I called Willie's Guitars in St. Paul and asked one of their techies about this and they said S-1 is purely wiring, so it should be just fine. Yes, it does work, in other words.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The S-1 switch is just a wiring issue. If you were to add a NP4 then you'd need a custom pickup. However, the stock jazz pickups will be just fine. ;)

5. The S1 is just a series/parallel switch is it not?

No problem using that with any pickups!

6. Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Mar 20, 2007
    Delafield, WI
    thanks guys! all helpful responses, I'm going to get some lindys!

7. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    jenderfazz comparision info. on lindy and nordy is very true.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Man.. the NJ4's would be so much better.. and any nordstrand J's should work. Simply match the wires, white and black, neck and bridge.

heck, get the NJ4SV's.. they were the tonal dream i had been looking for, and blueberryhill hooked me up in a few days.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021