1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lindy fralin P pickup, worth fitting to a Sadowsky HPJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingsta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mingsta

mingsta

Mar 12, 2012
    I've recently been toying with the idea of trading my sadowsky mv4 hpj for a fender tony franklin. However, I came to the conclusion that its too good a bass to let go.

However, I'd like to get a more vintage tone out of the p pickup when solo'd. Is it worth fitting a lindy fralin p pickup or is this not going to be much different tone wise to the stock pickup? Thanks for any input!

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    IMO the Sadowsky pre has a lot to do with the tone.

3. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    An Aguilar or Bartolini Classic will get more towards what you're looking for than the Fralin. The Fralin will sound very close to what you already have.

4. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    I haven't had a Sadowsky hybrid PJ but I did install the Sadowsky pickups and onboard preamp into an American Deluxe Fender PJ. I've also had a couple of Sadowsky J basses, a 4 and a 5. I now have a Lakland 44-64 p-bass with a Lindy Fralin and I use that with a Sadowsky outboard preamp.

I agree with ugly_bassplayer that the Sadowsky pre has a lot to do with the sound of Sadowsky basses. However, the split coil pickup Roger uses (I think made by DiMarzio to Roger's specs) is not intended to get a "vintage tone." It's hotter, and with more bass. I found it to be a great P-tone, but a more modern voicing. Sounded great recorded. Most of the time, I preferred running it passive. It had so much oomph I didn't feel the need to add more. Ultimately, I didn't like the Fender all that much so I returned it to its original condition and sold it. Sold the Sadowsky pickups and pre as well because I then purchased a Sadowsky bass.

Now, a couple of years later, I have a Lakland 44-64 fulfilling my p-bass needs. It came with the Neo Punch pickup which sounds great. It sparkles with rounds on it. But since I'm going for a more vintage sound (think Pink Floyd Animals, early Black Sabbath, Wilco, Queen, Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, etc.), I decided to put in a Lindy Fralin pickup that I had laying around the house. The Lindy Fralin - IMO - nails the vintage tones I seek. I have Sadowsky flats on the bass, which are my favorite. (Although on previous basses with these pickups I've tried Chromes and LaBella Deep Talkin flats, GHS Pressure Wounds, Lakland flats, TI flats).

What I like about my current setup is that running the Lindy Fralin equipped Lakland passive gives me a pretty vintage kind of sound. So much tone comes from the fingers that it's really about getting in the ballpark I think. But if I want more oomph, or a more modern, hi-fi sound (I think of it kind of like the oomph you get from a big tube amp), I hit the Sadowsky preamp and there it is.

Hope this helps. One question I have is how much the J-shaped neck on a PJ effects the P-tone...

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Carey Nordstrand is coming out with a pj set that will suit you. Call or email them.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021