Lindy Fralin pups - how do they sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbroses, Oct 27, 2003.

1. jbroses

Sep 26, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've found a set at a good price, but I'm trying to figure out what the sound is like. People say "vintage sounding", but I must admit I have no clue what that means. How would they sound on a Fender P-bass (Mexican, 1991)? I love the low tone with the standard pickups, but am looking to boost the mid/high range too without losing clarity.

Can anyone offer a description of how these guys sound, say in comparison to Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Describing sounds is not my specialty. However, I will say that I have them on my Lakland Joe Osborn and they are just amazing. I have no problems with hum from them, yet they still maintain a good bite. I can think of no other pickups that I'd rather have.
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have them in my Lull P4 and in my MIA Jazz Deluxe. They sound great in the Lull, not so great in the jazz.
  4. I have a Fralin P on my Lakland P. The clarity is excellent. I also have Fralins on my guitars (Tele and Strat). I do not think Lindy Fralin is capable of making a pickup that does not nail the vintage vibe. Note that Fralins are the P pickup of choice for Lakland, Don Grosh, and Mike Lull, three of the most highly regarded builders of P copies. I have never played the Duncan Quarter Pounders but I am told they give a more modern sound, whatever that means. I am a blues man so old school is the only school for me. Good luck with your choice.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You should get a hold of JPJ. Carey Nordstrand is working on a P bass style pickup.
    I don't have one yet (but I will) Anyway, I'am told these will go head to head with Fralins. Also, carey handcrafts only bass pickups.
    Hope that helps.

Tim :)
  6. Another spam site that requires a login. Too bad.
  7. What are you clicking on? I've always just clicked on the song "play" button and it opens up in Realplayer.