Lindy Fralin & S. Duncan "Antiquity" J-Pickups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Oct 27, 2005.

1. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Can anyone comment on the sound of the Lindy Fralin J-Pickups??? Seymour Duncan "Antiquity" J's???
  2. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I have a lot of experience with the me they sound very SWEET and GROWLY with a emphasis on the low mids...I've only heard the antiquities once, and they were more edgy and aggressive to my ear, probably a bit more bassy as well....both pickups are excellent for vintage tone...Bassplayer did a test some years ago of different j-style pickups, you might see if you can find that article.
  3. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    If you were replacing pickups in a Warwick Corvette w/bubinga body what would you recommend???
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    That's hard to say!
    I've never played a Warwick, but isn't the typical warwick sound a kind aggresive and growly tone? To me that sounds more like the antiquities, but I might be wrong...I bet both pickups would be excellent...
  5. +1 on the Fralins. I have no experience w/ the Antiquities though, but Fralins are very Growly and Raw sounding
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Yeah, Fralin makes awesome J pickups. I have his hum-canceling Split Jazz, which provide excellent vintage tone, clarity, and growl with zero noise. They're expensive, but an excellent option for noise-free vintage J tone. They bring out many nuances of the acoustic tone of the bass, and have decent output too.

The treble is supposedly pulled back compared to a true single coil, but I don't hear much if any difference. Plus, I have a bright sounding maple fretboard J, so I'm turning down the treble anyway.
  7. Go to the pickups and electronics section of this website and look at the threads "smash's summer showdown" and "Dr. Demento's J pup experiment". There are reviews of those pups there.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    OK, this is the third one of these that got posted in Basses instead of Pickups. :eyebrow:
  9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Antiquity II's nail the 60's Jazz thing. There's no flies on Fralin's either.