Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lindy Fralin split-J PU's ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Norre, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Does anyone here have already tried the (new ???)Lindy Fralin split-J PU's??
    If you were looking for a Lindy Fralin J-style replacement PU which of the 2 would you buy? Why?
    Do you think there would be much of a difference in sound between these PU's?

Thanks,

KN

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    I had a single coil fralin`s set in my bass and I liked it a lot! But I don`t like the single coil noise... (honestly, fralin are very quiet, anyway!). I know that single and split don`t sound the same, but they can get very close.
    I tried, and I love `em veeery much, Nordstrand pups! (www.nordstrandguitars.com) I `ve heard both his single (very fralin-ish) and the split coil (the one I have in my basses now). Is difficult to describe sounds, but they are the first spilt coil that sound very close to a single, warm, punchy and no noise, that I`ve ever tried!
    This is my experience.....

ciao

...and this is what happens when your sound rocks!

3. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info Maurilio.

KN

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone else? thought i'd bring this thread back, cause i'm thinking about having them put into a parts alder/rosewood jazz i'm gonna have built for me.

5. Look for threads on Dimarzio Jazz and Ultra Jazz pickups which are split coil. I am having some Ultra Jazz put in my Hamer 2-TEK Cruise Bass. I will have to wait and see how they sound.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Maurilio!
    I'm really glad to hear that you're still diggin' those Nordstrand pickups as much as everyone else is! :D It's always nice to see things work out so well. ;)

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey Jay,
    yes, the NJSE are very good pups, but the single coil NJ are even better!
    I`ve been playing around a lot with my basses and nobody had to complain about their sound .... till now! :cool:
    I hope everything`s going well to you too.

Have a bright life

Mo`

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Nordstrand NJ4SE in the bridge position of my Deluxe MIM pbass. It's dead quiet, and sounds awesome!

JPJ-I'm really diggin' my Nordstrand pickups. The guy who works on my basses knows Lindy Fralin very well. He has used Fralins since Lindy began making them. He doesn't know Carey, but was VERY impressed by those Nordstrand pickups. He agreed-they're definitely in the league with Fralins!
    Did I say I'm really diggin mine? :hyper:

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL

KILLER! ;) That's what I like to hear. :D The Browne 4-string that I got in a week or so ago has a set of NJ4SEs in it and I've been extremely impressed at how versatile these pickups are. Instead of just coloring the instrument to sound the same everytime, they really reflect the color that the various woods and preamp have on the overall tonal quality of the bass. Even though a Nordstrand NJ Deluxe and a Browne Gnome might both have the same pickups, the Browne still soudns like a Browne and the Nordie still sounds like a Nordie....VERY nice! :smug: :bassist: