Lindy Fralin vs Antiquity IIs vs Fender 60s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, May 19, 2005.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I have an aerodyne jazz and I'm looking at pickups for it. I want a vintage sound, but deep and growly. Which of these three do you guys prefer and why? I'm looking to play in a epic sounding band so like I said really deep and really growly. any help, would be awsome :bassist:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a set of fralins in one of my Jazz basses. If you're looking for high output/overwound sounds, then I would suggest against the fralins. They're great, but definitely traditional sounding.
  3. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    what would you define overwound sound as?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The more you wind, the higher the output, and the less the high end and more lows. Overwound pickups sound thicker and fat. Traditionally Fender pickups are not heavily wound...except on those 50's guitars and basses, when they were literally wound by hand and there was no real control over turns.

In guitars it means more chimey sweet high end (think strats)...on jazz basses it means that bridge pickup sounds pretty polite, without as much 'bark'.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I would go with Fralins. They sound wonderful, and there's a reason boutique bass-makers like Lakland and Mike Lull use them for real vintage tone. In fact, I just ordered a set of his Split Jazz for my 2003 MIA Jazz. You would want a split Jazz in the bridge to avoid the 60 cycle hum and the odd volume characteristics when the split coil humbucking P interacts with a single coil J. I think that's how Fralin's P/J set comes anyway.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the output, which is probably higher than the stock Fenders. But if you are, Lindy will rewind them for more punch -- I believe at no extra charge.

They're expensive though. If you want massive punch and some serious growl at a lower price, the DiMarzio P/J set would be nice. It would be aggressive, and not a real vintage sound. I have the DiMarzio Model P in a 2004 MIA P-bass, and it's great for hard/classic/punk rock. Sounds kind of like Mike Dirnt's tone with Green Day. The output is ridiculous, and it growls.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Iv'e got an ash bodied maple necked jazz with Fralins in it. The original pups sounded fine I just wanted to try the Fralins and see for myself what they're all about. The output is slightly louder than the stock MIA pups. The Fralins cleaned up the low end and nicely brightened up the highend giving all notes greater definition as well as clarity. these pups gave my jazz "that sound" that I wanted from that bass. I'm very happy with the pup change :)
    I also had the chance to play an nos 64 jazz with CS60's pups and if I had the money on hand I would have bought it on the spot!
    I am considering putting CS60's in my Geddy Lee jazz :D
    I have never had the opportunity to hear the antiquities pup, I did run across the antiquity I version but turned them down because it was the antiquity II pups I was interested in. I hear they are awesome!
    Oh and by the way, if you are not satisfied with Fralin pups you can send them back to him and explain the sound you want and he will rewind them FREE! Ha boot that!!!!!