Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lindy Fralin vs SD 1/4 Pound for Pbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lawndart, Mar 18, 2005.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have a Fender MIA P and when i was in my punk band i put in a SD quarter pound pup in it. Now that im in a rockabilly-esque band im thinking about chaging out the pup. What would the Fralin give me that the SD doesnt. Im feeling the SD is giving me too much bottom and a too harsh treble. And thats no matter what settings i have on my head and with Chrome flats as well.

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I had a couple sets of the Lindy Fralins (a Joe Os, and a set I bought for a parts jazz), and I don't really care for them. Very harsh high end, the treble is a killer! They do have some positives (great clarity and low end), but I went with Bartolinis in the Joe Os, and Jason Lollars in the parts. I love Jason Lollar J pickups, I also have a set in my Marcus Miller (preamp removed, wasn't a fan of that either).http://www.lollarguitars.com/

I'm ok with the barts for now, but I might switch them with the Lollars at some point, they are a bit...smooth...for my taste. Good luck!

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have actually replaced both type of pups in MIM basses, My take is the Fralins will give you an all around p-bass sound, clarity thru the tonal spectrum including highs and lows with most extremes completely clear. The fralin pups are articulate and don't have a hair out of place, these pups work well for everything including R&B, rock, blues, jazz, and they nail the Motown and Stax sound of yesterday. These will fit the bill for everything!
    Now for the QP pups
    Thick sounding pups but best suited for rock music, Top end not as smooth or deep sounding as the Fralins and high end no where near glassy.

Basses with mods
    1999 MIM Artic white p w/Fralins- sleeper bass (payed $237 bucks used in pristine condition before the mod)
    2002 MIM Agave blue p w/SPB-3's - beater bass (Bought new with intentions to modify)

The fralin puped bass also has had both pots changed (music man pots installed) because the tone pot (split post type) broke!

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I also have a MIA jazz bass w/Fralins in it and it straight up smokes. The jazz bass pup and the p-bass pup by fralin are to different pups trying to do two different things. I was very happy with the result of my Fralin addition to my jazz bass that I researched the p-bass pup before I considered buying it. When I decided to try the Fralins in my jazz I did so because I already had another ash bodied /maple necked jazz in my arsenal (A Marcus Miller). The bass was already my staple bass and out of many basses had the most gigs under it's belt. After the change I noticed the low end was cleaner and rounder than before, the high end was crisper and with me being a thump and popper made the bass 100% more usable. This bass I speak of is a MIA 2000 standard jazz. When I put Fralins in a MIM p-bass I got used I found no reason to buy a 62R.I. p anymore, no need! I don't think nor do I say the MIM bass I modded sound exactly like a 62 but it's close enough for me! What I like about Lindy Fralin pups is the fact that they don't color your sound but allow the basses voice (combonation of woods) to be heard!

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thanks guys for the advice. maybe this week ill be purchacing the pup.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I know you didn't inquire about these, but it's funny, I was just playing my '57 P reissue when and I was admiring the sound i'm getting out of my Nordstrand P replacements. I chose em over the fralins and the SD Antiquities. I couldn't be happier.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry to hijack the thread here for a moment, but I was thinking about replacing my 57 RI pups with either Fralins or SD antiquitys, just like rayzak did.

The stock pups in my bass sound great with most of the treble rolled off, but tends to get a little brittle when I roll the treble on, especially full on. I was looking for a more gradual, or smother treble.

Rayzak, why did you change the stock pups in your 57? What did the Nordstrand pups have that the Fralins or Antiquity did not?

Thanks

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've only played a Fralin once, in a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, and it really nails the righteous P tone. If you're wary of too much treble or have a bright sounding bass (like my 2004 MIA P), you might want to order a 5% overwind from Fralin. You'll get more output, and pull the treble back a bit. I usually turn the treble down a third on my P bass anyway, so if I ordered a Fralin that's what I'd do.

I think SD's Hot for P-bass and DiMarzio's Model P are similar to an overwound Fralin EQ wise, but I'm not sure how they stack up tone wise. I recently had the DiMarzio installed in my 2004 P, and it seems like an improvement over the stock Fender because of higher output (WAY higher), but I can't tell how good it is tonally because the new strings are pretty bad. From what I can tell, it's tonally similar to the stock Fender, which is fine.

Not surprised about your reaction to the SDQP, which is EQ'd with a mid scoop and boosted highs and lows. I didn't consider it for that reason.

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Honestly, i've never played the Antiquities, so I can't really comment, but i'm sure they're awesome... I like the fact that they stay true to the originals with the raised Apole pieces and cloth wiring, etc.
    The Fralins, i've only played in a Lakland and they sound great as well.
    To be honest, the major reasoning for getting the Nordstrand is from the reviews i've read around here. That and the fact that Carey Nordstrand stops by here quite often and seems like a true class act.
    There was nothing wrong with the original pickups, but I couldn't seem to get an even sound across all four strings no matter what I did. The E string also seemed a bit weeker and a bit muddier than the others, which really started to bother me. With the Nordstrands, these problems are history. I get a much more even sound. More defined yet it still retains that classic, old school P sound. E string sounds big and full. Strung up with TI flats... I love it. I've been playing it more than my Stingray, and my Sadowsky Metro :bag: ... at the moment anyway.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My MIM Pbass deluxe with Nordstrands and TI jazz flats is my favorite bass. It gets played more than all the others in my stable :hyper: