1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lindy fralin??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xander8280, Jan 12, 2012.

1. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Wondering if they make good jazz bass passive bridge pickups, I want more punch

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Try the search function; there's probably alot of threads on these pickups.

3. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    None of the posts have reviews of them. Very curious

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Fralins are well respected here. Should give you all the punch you need. That said, I'm a Lollar fan.

5. I liked them. They definitely will give you more gain right from the bass. Perfect for the jazz bass slap tone. I had an issue with 60 cycle hum when soloing either pickup. That's the nature of single coils though.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Ya, had Fralins in my USA Lakland Glaub. sounded nice.
    But Lollar's won me over too.

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've got the Fralin's in my Lakland JO4 and LOVE them. They've got tons of punch and all of the sound that I'm looking for in a jazz bass. That said, I haven't tried the Lollars (but now I'm thinking) :)

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Moved to Pickups & Electronics

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I've tried the Fralins and Lollars...and Aeros, Duncans, Delanos, Dimarzios, Aguilars, Nordys, and a ton more...

What is it you are looking for in a new pickup?
    More punch? Turn up your mids on your amp, it's a much cheaper alternative.

Fralins specifically:

True single coil: Excellent vintage imitation. Definitely has a "raw" low end and a snappy high, which can get quite LOUD when digging in. These are the pickups you want if you are looking for 60s jazz tone (of course in the right position).

Humcancelling jazz: My favorite pickup. Not as much snap as the single coils at all. Much thicker in the mids and lows. Low end is DEEP, but still raw (as opposed to a deep but tight sounds of, say, Nordstrand...think, controlled, focused), meaning that it's a wide sort of sound. Open is another way to describe it. Highs are there, but not sharp. It's more along the lines of bell-like instead of ear-bleedingly loud on the "pop" of slap and pop. Doesn't do a spot on imitation of vintage as the true single coils do, BUT these do a F A N T A S T I C job of getting the P sound in addition to the hot Jazz sound.

I'd be happy to give descriptions of other pickups as well if requested.

UpwardGroove likes this.
  10. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Wyldepickups P-46, what is your opinion on those?

11. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  12. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Lindy's are great. Well documented everywhere. Do the 60s jazz bass thing very well if that's what you're looking for.

Glad to see some Lollar love here. Put a set in Fullerton 62 RI jazz that I was ready to sell and transformed the instrument.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Lindy Frailin Split-coil Jazz bass pickups are great. I had them in a Classic 60's Jazz. I liked them better than stock, and needed the lower level of hum and more usable tonal pallet for live broadcast work.

Lindy has other models I have not used, but I have to say I think his work is great. He personally rewound the pickup on my vintage '55 P-bass on the original bobbin and magnets after the output went to zero. Sounds just like the old one.

14. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Fralins are a solid choice. I have the single coils in two jazz's,shielded cavities,no hiss/hum. As mentioned,powerful and articulate.

15. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I use a 2009 MIM fender jazz bass, it's the 1975 reissue. I swooped out the neck pickup for a precision one, sounds great. The bridge pickup has a nice jazz bass tone, but I really want it to be hot and have the 60's tone. Refinery gonna get one of these, thanks guys

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    fralins do indeed rock, i won't own a fender anything without them.

17. larrymon74

larrymon74 Guest

Aug 30, 2016
    love my Lindy Fralins in my jazz bass!

18. This thread is nearly five years old!

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  19. larrymon74

larrymon74 Guest

Aug 30, 2016
    and Lindy Fralins are still good! YAY!

20. theculprit

theculprit Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    I've been looking at Fralin, Lollar, and Nordstrand single coil Jazz pickups for the last few weeks, and from all the pickup comparisons I can find they all sound great with their own flavor of sweetness. I will probably go with Lollar or Fralin as an upgrade in the Geddy Jazz I just bought. Depends on which set I can find on the used market first. To me the Lollars seem to have a little more going on in the low mid range, and the Fralins have more going on in the high mids than the Lollars in general. Not sure which will work better for me in the GL Jazz. Maybe I will have to get both and compare.