Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lindy Fralins Jazz vs. Nordstrands Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Wanted to know if any of you's would know out of the Nordstrands adn the Lindy's which has more balls, growl and grind?

Also throw into the mix the SJB-3 - Quarter Pounder for Jazz Bass.

out of all 3 of these, which has the most balls, growl n' grind?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    which nordstrands? single coils / humbuckers?

The fralin pickups aren't that ballsy on their own imo, it's more of a classic jazz sound. Nord single coils are simiar. Their humbuckers have a more ballsy sound, but then again any single coils can be made to sound more ballsy by amp / technique etc.

I think the QP's will be more out of the box ballsy than the other two

3. QP's or Fender Custom 60's ?
    See, I'm scared that the QP's will sound too scooped.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    any particular reason?

If you're looking for agressive sounding J's, have you also considered the DM J's (Not ultrajazz)?

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a pair of Fralin's Split Jazz, which are hum-canceling. They have plenty of balls and growl, but I doubt they're in the neighborhood of SD Quarter Pounders or the DiMarzio Model J, which are designed for maximum punch. (I haven't tried either of those models, but have a DiMarzio Model P, which is a very aggressive pickup.) The Fralins provide more of a vintage tone, but have more punch and clarity than the stock Fender pickups for sure. I was very pleased with them in a heavy rock context.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, that's the point I was trying to make but didn't do as well as you. EQ, amp, speaker, strings, technique (pick vs fingers) can make normal pickups result in an agressive sound for rock.

7. I'm putting these in a MIA jazz, brand new. All passive w/ S1 switch. I just ordered Fralin's (TRUE single coil) and didn't like them. I'm going to return them tonight. The fralin's sounded too warm and soft, round. NICE PICKUPS, but not the tone I'm going for.

I might add that I'm looking for a TRUE single coil and not a hum-canceling.
    What do you's recomend for aggressiion?
    Have you's heard the QP's? Do they sound too scooped?

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you absolutely have to have single coils then the QP's are probably what I'd recommend. I've heard them and never thought they sound scooped.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It sounds like he wants Aero Type 1 to me...

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    good call, forgot about those. But if he wants to stick with one of the original 3 mentioned, I'd say QP's.

11. *sigh* Its so hard to make a decision without trying all of these yourself, ya know.

So all and all, for the most growl n' grind. (Now by growl n' grind I mean a musically gritty sound. NOT OVERDRIVE, but a gritty high end, and by growl I mean alot of character on the low end) Broken Glass mabye? Rusted milk? But I want it so sound very focused.

So everything said, your recomendations would be?

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and it's also hard to make recommendations given that I almost certainly don't hear things your way.

But, using MY ears and MY interpretation of your terms, either will do you. It's been a bit longer since I used the QP's, but IIRC the Aero's have a bit more low end than the QP's. Oh the other side I also remember the QP's having slightly more low mids than the Aero's. Overall, I remember being happier with the Aero's - I like an agressive sound myself but still like to have the low end.

Did you look my the J pickup clip thread linked to in the pickups faq? You can find clips of Aero's in there

13. so the aeros? i dont really understand your post.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I thought it was fairly well explained.

I said that both will do something in the ballpark of what you're looking for. How happy you'd be with either is a matter of personal preference - how happy I am with something is no guarantee of how happy you will be with something

At the end of the day, I can't make your decision for you - sometimes you just have to try more than one thing out.

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Modern;

If you ordered your Fralins directly from Fralin you can send them back to him and (IIRC) he'll rewind them to suit you no charge. Call him and find out.

16. Well everything being said, the conclusion of the matter, I've went with Nordstrands. We'll see how they sound and will post my review, comparing Fralin's vs. Nordstrands, the begining topic of the tread.

Anyone else have Nordstrand's and have any info as to what I should expect?
    I play an Alder/Rosewood Fender jazz.

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    But thanks for trying DavidM! Ha ha. I love it when people solicit expert advice which they totally disregard. Just ribbing you, MG. Enjoy the pickups.

18. No... its not like that. I see what your saying, but after EXTENSIVE research, (DAYS) of emails/phone calls w/ Mike Lull, Lindy Fralin, Carey Nordstrand, Jay with blue berry hill bass, and SMASH's reviews I've come to find that the Nords might be for me. I've tried the Fralins' and I'm returning them. Their bottom end is too loose w/ no punch. They sound great otherwise, but the bottom end is a pillow.
    I've TRIED to research the Aero's but not enougth info for my likings. I couldn't even find a place to buy them. SO I wen't with the Nordstrand NJ4's. We'll see what happens right?

I've disregarded the SD QP's, I think they would totaly re-voice the instrument and make it sound like something other then a jazz bass.

(The Main topic still goes unspoken about, does anyone have a comparitve review of the Fralin's vs Nordstrand NJ4's)
    I'm expecting to like the Nords better based on info I've been given/research I've done. Jay w/ BlueBerrry informed me the Nords have a tighter bottom, and Mike Lull mentioned that the Nords might have a bump in the upper mids which I think I'll like. Smash's reviews said the Nords have a full thick bottom which Is always a pluss.

But I guess I'm still going to be hungry for more untill I recieve my delivery of the Nords tomorrow night, and Pop them in. If anyone else hase a comparitive review if the Lindy's vs. Nords NJ4's Please feel free!