Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lindy vs fender custom

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by P60J65, Jan 20, 2004.

1. lindy frailin jazz bass pickups vintage

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. fender 60's custom shop

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    i have a 65 j bass refin and i was wondering about which are better. tell me why you like the ones you prefere so i can see which one i want. thanks.

lindy frailin - jazz bass pickups vintage

or

fender 60's custom shop

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Iv'e got a 2000 MIA jazz with Fralins in it.
    Very clear, articulate in higher and lower registers. Very smooth for the Motown type vibe, Excellent for the thump and pop stuff (E string work doe'snt get lost!) Fralins allow you to hear the wood and not the pup. And if you are not happy with your sound you can have the people a Fralin rewind to what it is you are looking for (beat that!) they will work with you to insure your happiness.

3. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    thanks.

"do you work for them?"

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Nope, wish I did.
    I also have a p-bass with Fralins.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lindy's by far and away.

btw, he'd be the FIRST guy, i'd recommend if anyone wanted their vintage J pickup rewound. he just lives/breathes fender style pickups, and his work definitely shows it.

and no, i dont work for lindy, but likewise, wish like crazy i did! :p

6. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    do you know how they compare to fender custom 60's?

thanks for all the info, sorry for the bad joke.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I haven't heard the Fralins. But Lindy Fralin hand makes those pickups, and he'll wind them to your specifications if you're not happy-or desire a different sound.

I wouldn't count on Fender to do that. Plus, some people here at TB say that the Fenders aren't all that vintage sounding, but thats speculation. Have also heard of quality control issues with them(there's a surprise!)

Have you considered pickups by Carey Nordstrand? Get a hold of JPJ-he'll PM you with all the details. Those Nordstands are within 5 dollars cost of the Fralins, are hand made, and I hear very close in sound to Fralins.

Hope that helps! :)
    Tim

8. junkman510

junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    lindy frailins are the best Jazz pickups I have ever heard. You need to hear these things.

9. guitar-mod.com

guitar-mod.com

May 4, 2006
  10. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I gotta put in a good word for the CS. I haven't tried both side by side, but I am in love with the CS after going through a bunch of jazz PUs.

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just bought a set of CS for my 61 J that has had EMGs for the last 20 years (long sad story, don't ask). The CS come with the brass grounding bar and plates for under the pickups and pup screws all for $100. You can buy these seperately if you find the right place. If money were not an issue, I think I would give the Nordstrands Single Js a spin. Everyone gives them high marks.

Dave