Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Bass POD or SansAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malthumb, Feb 12, 2005.

1. SansAmp Bass DI Box

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. SansAmp RBI Rackmount

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Line 6 Bass POD desktop unit

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Line 6 Bass POD Rackmount

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Other Suggestions (keep 'em under $300 folks)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Okay, I'm looking at setting up a 2nd rig for practice and small gigs. I know slightly less than jacks#!t about preamps, di boxes and amps in general, so I'm coming to the experts. My main rig is a 6 place rack
    • Alembic DS-5R power unit for my basses (1 space)
    • Alembic F-1X preamp (1 space)
    • Korg DTR-1 Tuner (1 space)
    • Samson wireless (1 space)
    • Crown Xs500 power amp (2 spaces)

I just picked up a 2nd Crown Xs500, so that'll take 2 spaces in my 4 place rack. Don't know if I'll add a tuner, don't know if I'll add any effects, though I do have an Alesis QV2 that's gathering dust. I'm looking for preamp options. It would be simple to get another F-1X or an F-2B and call it a day, but I'd like to consider something different. Here's what's on my mind right now and where I need your advise / opinions....

I've been looking at SansAmp products, specifically the Bass DI and the RBI Rackmount. I've also seen a couple Bass PODs come up at good used prices. I'll be trying some of this stuff out over the next few days at local stores but would still like TB input.

Does the SansAmp Bass DI function as preamp? Does it do serve that function well or am I better of with the RBI Rackmount?

Does the Bass POD modeler serve as a decent preamp, or am I better off running it through a "proper" preamp? Does the rackmount unit do anything the desktop unit doesn't?

Let me know what you think.

FWIW - the cabinets that either of the rigs runs through is any combination of 2 SWR Triads and 1 SWR Goliath Jr 2X10.

Peace,

James

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am not voting because I can't compare the two directly. I have a POD and really like it. I use it for DI and as a pre-amp. I don't have any complaints other than it doesn't work well with certain combo configurations. It is also my second practice device, the other being my Tascam unit.

Based on your post and my research I would likely lean towards the SansAmp RBI rack unit (unless portability is a major issue). Maybe not the best answer but it gives you someplace to start. I will answer what I can on the POD if you require more info on that product.

Dan

3. If you're looking for pure tone- the SansAmp RBI or the DI. If you're looking for lots of nifty effects and some nice amp modelling, go for the rackmount POD.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Christle and Indie86,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not particularly concerned about effects. I tend not to use a lot of effects. I have an Alesis QuadraVerb2 that I don't use at all anymore that I could use if I wanted to go back to using effects. I also have a Bass Wah. The idea of amp modelling is intriguing, more from the standpoint of me not knowing what I'm missing.

I think if there's not much difference in functionality between the SansAmp Bass DI and the SansAmp RPI, I might trend towards the DI in order to keep a rack space open for whatever. One concern I have with the SansAmp products is that they both have only one input. Two of my basses are stereo. If I use the outboard power supply, I can only plug in one of the two output cables.

Peace,

James

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I almost always turn off the cabinet-modelling on the POD. That seems to make the tone more clear. The amp-modeling is not bad at all and works well as do some of the effects, though I have found some of them to be a little over the top for me. As usual YMMV.

Dan

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I did an A/B comparison of exactly those two units on a gig. The bass pod sounded good, but it as good as the RBI. I had both set to try to imitate an ampeg B15 ("fliptop" model on the pod). The sansamp just sounded more direct and less..."filtered." It sounded like the B15 being played in asmall room (the model) whiile I was in a large bar--I couldn't get it to sit right in the room

The bass pod has some virtues, and at home, or for recording, it could be great, I suppose. But I decided it was just WAY too complex for me to use live and it was crapped up with--in my opinion--useless effects. it was just to hard to figure out what I was doing with the thing--is the eq knob eq-ing the model, or is it eq-ing the actual signal? Is this my preset, or is it Line 6's preset? What do the cryptic messages in the little window mean? Oh wait, the band's playing the next song..

I'm actually stunned at how hard the thing is to figure out, and how much is devoted to effects no bass player would ever use more than once. I returned the basspod after one gig and kept the RBI, although I've just switched to an Avalon U5 and sidelined the RBI too.

7. I put the sansamp DI box, its the same as the rackmount minus the mid control (altho thats probably useful as you need to pump up the mid a little when using the sansamp)

But if you already have a rack amp n stuff, the RBI might be easier to take about, but it is about 100 or so more, and that was too much for me, so i got the DI to do me for the time being :)

8. Dont think anyone answered it, yes, the DI can be used as a preamp, the only difference is that one costs a fair bit more, is rack mounted and has the mid control