Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Bass Pod Pro as preamp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoom, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Zoom

Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Looking for opinions on using a Line 6 Bass Pod Pro, as a Pre-amp, in a live gigging situation.

Possibilities include; Line 6 > Crown CE1000 > (1)Acme B 410 or (2)Acme B 210 cabs.

Also.... considering Avalon U5 for preamp duty (as above).

Thanks

2. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I basically have the rig you described on the way right now. Only difference is I went with Crest for power, and Avatar for cabs. Heard a live gig last weekend and the bass player had a killer sound coming from the mains. Checked his rig and the Bass Pod was present. Decided to order one for myself, will tell you how it all works out in a few days.

3. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm using the regular Bass Pod with a Stewart World 1.2 and a 4 ohm Acme B-2 and it sounds great. The flat frequency response of the Acme cabs really let you hear the different amp models in the Pod accurately.

4. Zoom

Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks for the input.
    Here's a few more questions.

Do we know why the Pro costs about $250.00 more than the regular BassPod? I know of a couple of things it has, like the dual outs, but are there other extras in the Pro? (Line 6's website not too helpful).

J,
    What kind of power is the 1.2 sending to that B-2.
    Is that a power-amp only?
    also...Are the Acmes covered with black carpeting?

D,
    How much did you pay for your Pro?
    Was that bass player you heard last weekend using the Pod's effects etc., into the mains, or was he using the D.I. (non-effected) signal into the mains?
    and... Let us know how you make out, once your up and running.

Thanks

5. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do we know why the Pro costs about $250.00 more than the regular BassPod? I know of a couple of things it has, like the dual outs, but are there other extras in the Pro? (Line 6's website not too helpful). It's rack-mountable and has digital outputs

J,
    What kind of power is the 1.2 sending to that B-2.
    1,200 watts @4 ohms, bridged
    Is that a power-amp only?
    Yes
    also...Are the Acmes covered with black carpeting?
    Yes

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    meaning the only thing that is the same is the POD:rolleyes:

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    What Phat said..............I mean come on........... Acme versus Avatar:confused:

8. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I have the same rig, only use POD into an Eden WT1000 into a Genz Benz Live 410. Great sound with a lot of flexibility. I purchased the POD instead of the POD-Pro because is was more portable. The only thing I don't like is the hesitation when switching between sounds in the middle of a song. Other than that, Great set-up. I actually mic the cabinate and use the DI for a clean sound to the board. Make sure to get the FB4 foot pedal for live use. Also an Midi/USB cable for your PC will help in editing the sounds.

9. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Where you at dsmith? I'm in Richmond, KY.

10. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    no in Scranton, PA

11. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    20 Min. South of Richmond, in Mt. Vernon area.

12. GeboBass

GeboBass

Aug 20, 2002
    I also use the Bass POD, I'll be getting a Crown CE1000 tomorrow, but I haven't decided on a cabinet yet. I want to get a cabinet that will most accurately produce the Bass POD's amp models and cabinet selections. What do you all recommend?

Guido - Gebo

13. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I use a Bass POD Pro as a live preamp. It works fine for me, however it is not for everyone that's for sure. I control my POD with the Floorboard which is a must for live use IMO.

I run my POD Pro into a Rane MX-22 crossover then into a Mackie 1400i power amp that feeds an Eden D210XLT and D115XL.

If you're really interested in info here in the Amps forum on the Bass POD Pro, do like I did - run a search (Bass POD Pro search). There's a lot of good info and insights in past threads. ;)

-- Gil

14. Bass Pod>>TC Electronic compressor>>Crest V1100 power amp>>Eden 2x10 and EV 2x15.

It's the best sounding rig I've owned in over 30 years of playing.

15. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Can you get a foot pedal for the bass POD?

I know what the POD sounds like, (and it sounds good) but it seems like it would be a real pain to change effects while playing.

Where can you buy a foot pedal and how much does it cost?

16. You can get them any Line 6 dealer like the Guitar Center and they cost...a lot. I don't use a footpedal with mine though. I simply use the Pod as a preamp, that is, I dial in my sound and forget it. I think The B-Pod makes a great preamp, but lousey stomp box. There's way too much change in the volume when you jump from effect to effect or from one cab/amp simulation to the next. If you change effects a lot when you play I don't think you'll be real pleased with the Pod for that purpose.

17. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    > There's way too much change in the volume when you jump from effect to effect or from one cab/amp simulation to the next. If you change effects a lot when you play I don't think you'll be real pleased with the Pod for that purpose.

The idea is to program all your sounds in advance, this way you can match the output levels (i.e. amp sims, effects, etc) from one memory location to the next without worrying about level changes when you switch. I did that to mine and all I have to do is click from one to the next or back with no worries of level changes. :) That's one of the beauties of programmable memory locations. And of course, the floorboard works well for that as well. ;)

Again, to each his own. YMMV.

18. Well there you go. That idea hadn't even occured to me. If I ever I need to start switching the thing around while I'm playing, I'll know how to do it. :) I always just set it and forget it.

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    going off on a tangent. Someone asked why the pro costs more than the standard
    Why does the standard bass pod cast £50 (UK) more than the guitar pod? & the guitar pod is on version 2.