Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Bass POD Pro Rackmount version

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by buckethdd, Jan 15, 2002.

1. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    Hello...I am in the market for a rackmount bass effects processor that is footswitchable in the $300-700 range...it's tough to try these things out because none of the local stores really have them, plus I've tried things out in the store and liked them, and played with the band and they become so-so...anyway does anyone have any thoughts on the POD or any other processor that might be worth taking a deeper look at...also I'm looking to get something with some looping ability, hopefully in the same unit.

Thanks for any help.

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I don't think the POD is a good choice for a multi-effect unit. Since it's mainly a amp modeler. So I don't think it will do everything you want.

I have heard a boss unit mentioned on here, I think it's the VF-1. But I'm not positive on that.

Don't know if that actually helped, I just felt like rambling.

3. Do the rackmount ones come with a foot controller, or are those a separate purchase?

4. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    the footswitch is a separate buy...what about TC Electronics...i've heard good things about them, anybody use any of they're stuff?

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've bought a Bass POD Pro and quickly realised some limitations - at least for what I wanted to do with it. It is a fairly good modeler - although I don't know what half of the amps should sound like anyway!!! The effects have very limited amounts of user control.

What it is good for is recording, and also re-amping a DI'd bass signal. So, once you've recorded your bass line, you can then go back and apply the amp modelling (and effects) and see how different your bass line sounds.

I thought that this would be the answer to my effects needs, but sadly I think I may have to invest in an effects unit for live work.

Oh yeah, the footswitch is a fairly costly extra!!

6. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I had a Line 6 rackmount. I didn't like it. Everything sounds lifeless and squashed through it. As an effects unit, no way go for a TC for sure. I used the money (and a little extra) from the POD and bought an Avalon U5 DI. Ohhh yaaaa. If your gonna spent that much money on something to improve your sound, this is your to die for peice of gear. I know it has no effects, but it sounds so good you won't need them. I even use the tone to shape my sound before it hits my Ampeg rig. Pull all the mud out.

Sorry for the rant, I'm all excited.

Scott.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love the Bass POD, and use it live into a power amp/210 speaker. But, it is not meant to be an effects processor. It is an amp modeler/preamp/DI with a few effects (not very useful ones at that). It doesn't sound very good going into the regular input of a bass amp, and it wasn't really designed for that. It was designed to go into either a mixer or a power amp.

8. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...all together now...

The Bass POD is NOT a multi-effects unit.

It's an amp emulation/preamp/Di that just happens to have a nice lil' selection of effects.

My advice, see if you can find a place that will give you a 30 day money back guarantee (or some such other offer) and try it out at home with your gear and basses. If you use a bass head, the POD is going to sound like caa caa (unless you go through the power amp in. This usually bypasses any eq and tonal circuitry in the head). At The End Of The Day (shamless Spock's Beard refference), once you get a hang of it, you'll either love it to death and must have it or realize it's just not for you. But find out for yourself.

9. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Belgium
    BassistJ : You' re right. People searching for a real effectprocessor should NOT buy the Bas Pod. (although it has some very good effects which can be alternated by means of a pc)

Problem is that you can't use more than on effect at a time, and thats it's hard to switch effect if you don't have the foot-controller.

People who, like me, use only one effect at a time, and are sparse whith effects will love the bas pod : the amp modelling is unbelievable!!!

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just get all four line 6 modeling pedals (delay, modulation, distortion, and filter) instead

these are some serious effects units.

jason

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    This would be really expensive though...

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Amen brother,

(although would u believe it I actually found a use for the S&H effect....sweeet, now if theyd only included a decent sampler/delay instead of those stupid distorion effects I'd be one happy bunny)

13. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    hey, they're only $250 apiece... don't be a tightwad!

hehe just kidding.... but they are nice

...except the distortion one, it just doesn't do it for me