Line 6 Bass POD questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Aug 4, 2001.

1. BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    i need help with the following questions:

1) can it be used as a Pre-Amp for Cabs?

2) Can it be used as a pre-amp (if it can pre-amp cabs) other brand cabs other than Line 6

3) Is it worth it

If anyone, anyone at all, can answer these question PLEASE reply

2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    1) Yes, but you need a power amp, too.

2) Yes

3) Yes
  3. A preamp is a signal processor, and drives a power amp.
    A power amp drives speakers, and speakers drive, well, air.

You ALWAYS need a power amp to drive speakers.
    You ALWAYS need a preamp to drive a power amp.

Most HEADs incorporate a preamp and a power amp.

IMO, separate preamp and power amp is better.

My E 0.02

4. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Hey man, I played through one of those line 6 deals just yesterday, and they are pretty good.

BUT keep in mind that they are made for practicing in a small area, like in a college dorm room or a practice room, or an apartment. And you hook up a pair of headphones or a nice set of PC speakers to em, is there original intention.

I will agree that it is a cool unit, and I had thought about plugging one into a 400 watt crown amp I have, but for any serious stage application with all of the effects being controled by a hand switch, it isn't very practical.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

No. the Original intention is to be used as a profesional recording device, to save on the hassle of Mic-Placing, Eq and room acoustics of recording throug an Amp/Cab.
    That´s where the PoD excels.
    It does work well in live situations too.
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Are you kidding me?

There are a lot of major performing artists who have either the guitar POD or the bass POD as part of their live setup.

Heck, Weezer has recently switched over to using ONLY guitar and bass PODs, going directly to the PA, and they play some BIG venues.
  7. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    my bad everybody

I know that I would never use one live, so I figure quiet practicing was the only good use for the thing

and BTW, like weezer really cares about they sound as much as most serious musicians. Not trying to step on any toes here, I like the group a lot, but seriously, would you take a $350 PoD over an ampeg, or SWR, or Eden stack?
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been using a Bass POD Pro as a preamp live for about a year now. I would never use anything else.

I get a great stage sound. The modeled DI out on the POD smokes though a good PA. The POD Pro has parrallel sends. XLR with the speaker sim for the DI and a second High Z without the speaker sim to go to a power amp.

These unit is very impressive. Does it really sound like an SM400 or a Traveler, bassman or whatever you are wanting it too? Yes and no.

If you plugged up a real SM400 into a decent 410 cab and set up the POD with the nice flat power amp and the same kind of 410, you'd be amazed. Alone at moderate volumes, I think I could pick out the real SWR easily enough. But drop it in the middle of a loud live mix and I am not so sure. Same goes for the other models that it offers.

It also has 36 programable banks, so you can program up 36 unique sounds and select them with any type of midi controller. I use a simple Tech 21 MIDI mouse.

The POD Pro also has very accurate, hands-free tuner built in.

You definately want to to spring for the rack version. It has a bunch of features that you'll use live. I play tons of gigs with just the POD. NO AMP AT ALL!!

I scrapped my whole 10 space rack for the POD and have been very happy. I don't play in an orignal band. I am a walk in, read the charts, play whatever style you want me to kind of player. I really like the flexibility of the POD. I have anything I want at the touch of a finger.

9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    victor wooten uses one with an ampeg stack. But i'm sure he doesn't care about his sound. :rolleyes:
  10. i've seen fighting gravity (local band) a few times, and their bassist uses a POD pro into a mackie power amp and 2 eden 2x10s. wow, what a sound. i'd take that rig any day.
  11. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Serious musicians? When they sold a few mill of their first album they were just kidding...

Well, having heard weezer live, I think they actually do care about their sound. They sound great. That is just my oppinion, but it also happens to be the bands as well.

I've also heard-and played-the Guitar POD in a more intimate setting(my church), and that seems like a great tool. I can't really play guitar, but the owner ripped it up and sounded awesome.
  12. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Guess I should have done my homework then, looks like I ****ed up. I will try to not let it happen again.
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Are you suggesting the stuff is cheap?

Being that the PRO version is really the one that is suitable for use as a live preamp, you talking more like $600 bucks. And since you still need a power amp and still need cabinets, $600 seems more like a high-priced preamp. I have yet to see an SWR or Eden preamp that you couldn't buy for that cash.

For what I have in my POD and power amp, I could have owned any of the Eden or SWR amps. I chose the POD. The Bass POD is a very competitive product. $600 is a lot of money for a preamp, but if you consider all the features you get, it seems pretty reasonable.

14. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    I tried out the Bass Pod Pro for about a week. The thing did what it was supposed to do and sounded pretty good. The preset effects need some adjustment to be useful for what I do. At the end of the week, however, I returned the pod Pro because, for recording, I prefer the tube preamps that I have. If you're in a recording situation where the producer wants the "ampeg sound" or the "swr sound," etc., then the pod pro would be very useful. For my taste, I prefer a good bass going through a high quality tube preamp directly to tape.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought the Bass Pod. Loved it so much I returned it:confused:

Actually, I thought it was a pretty cool little device, but after tweaking a number of settings to my own preferences, I found I couldn't remember which ones were which. And, furthermore, many of the sounds were simply not useful to me. Even furthermore, I like the sound of MY amp best of all, and the Pod doesn't allow for that. All I wanted was some distortion and a wave modulation of some sort (chorus, flanger, phaser, etc).

Thus, I traded the Pod in for a SansAmp Bass Driver DI (which works well as a preamp as well) and a Boss Phase III. Now I'm better off than I was before, and it cost me about the same.:D
  16. You dont have to manually switch (I mean by hand) a POD, there is a four channel footswitch available. My guitarist uses a POD and footswitch live, into a Marshall combo, which is just a monitor. He runs a line to the desk, and he sounds great. I tried a bass POD, but decided against it as I am a one sound type of guy. If I needed to get lots of different sounds at a gig, eg a Top 40 covers band, then I would definitely use one.