Line 6 Bass POD vs. Ampeg SVT or SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., May 20, 2002.

1. Line 6 bass POD pre amp + Power amp

18 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg head

36 vote(s)
  3. Carvin head

3 vote(s)
  4. SWR head

19 vote(s)
  1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    What would I be better off getting? A line 6 Bass POD as a pre-amp and a power amp of some sort (Carvin most likely) or a Ampeg SVT head, carvin bass head, or SWR head of equal value? I really would like to have the options I would have with the POD, but I feel that I might find something that I like with it.

If it helps, I would like to have tone like Jason Newsteds (metallica) from the S & M album. I would also like to have a nice warm distorted option also to use with a wah. I plan on getting a Avatar Cab and I have a peavey black widow (15 inch) in a cab I made to use also.
  2. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    If you want to sound like Jason Newstead get an ampeg head, preferably the SVT-4 pro (Cause that is what he uses!!!) if you want to get technical about it. Or in my opinion the better option would be to get the SVP-pro preamp and a good power amp. This will allow you more flexibility and still give you the SVT tone. As for distortion Jason Newstead and Cliff Burton both use(d) the Big Muff classic reissue. There are a lot of good distortion boxes out there though such as the EBS multidrive if you can afford it, I like my Ibanez Phat hed but some would disagree with me. Anyways, that's my two cents if you like the Metallica bass tone.
  3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Well, I know I definatly need to take a trip to try out some amp heads. I didn't think of the svt-pro, thats a good point though, thanks!

Ps. What about the SVT-BSP? Whats that sound like?
  4. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    dunno, it's gotten mixed reviews though regarding the distortion channel
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i second the ampeg with power amp. im not a big fan of the bass pod..

what i would get:

-ampeg svp-pro
    -carvin dcm1000 ( or higher )
  6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    The svt-pro + carvin power amp is what I'm thinking of now. I remembered that if I want to get an electric guitar for shiggles, I just need the guitar, pre-amp and cab because I would have the power amp.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the Bass Pod and have used it on every gig for 2 years, and highly recommend it. If you only want Jason Newsted's sound then get the Ampeg. But if you want his sound, plus just about any other sound you want, get the Bass Pod. The Ampeg is an excellent amp, but the Bass Pod is more versatile. Of course this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
  8. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Ampeg, you cannot go wrong with Ampeg. I recommed SVP-pro + Carvin DCM 1000 + Furman power conditioner + whatever compressor you want, I really don't know much about compressors though.
  9. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i agree with showdup, but my .02.... don't get the BSP... its distortion is solid state and weak, and its clean isn't as good as the SVP.

so yea.. the POD or the SVP.
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Either SVP-Pro, or SWR SM900.
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I run an SVP-PRO pre into a Carvin DCM1500 into a Bergantino 2-12 and i fall in love with it every time I turn it on. IMO the pod has some nice features but most people dont use 95% of so I would say go ampeg and forget about it. .02
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I find that the POD only really shines in a recording environment. I have gigged with one, but on the whole, I don't think that's its strength. You might also consider an Ashdown unit. The ABM heads run both tube and solid state preamp channels and they can be blended. This combined with a shape switch allows the amp to sound modern (SWR) or vintage (SVT). I know it's not on the list, but that's what I'm looking at for myself and it might worth considering.
  13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I recommend the SVT4. It sounds great and it has as much headroom as you'll ever need.

14. Well, I have the SVP-BSP, and I love it. Yes, the overdrive channel is lacking a bit, but nonetheless, I love it. It's got that Ampeg fatness to it. Also I usually use solely the clean channel, and sometimes I combine the clean channel with a little bit of grit from the overdrive channel. Good rock tone to it. I've also used it for a jazz band competition (overdrive off tho) and it worked wonderfully.
  15. early 70's SVT with the Big Muff PI.
    kicks ass, very flexible tone.
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    SVP-Pro into QSC RMX-2450

The Carvin DCM1000 is a hell of a good price though. It was about $250 less than my QSC, but then again, only half the watts.
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have played through a POD before.. I didn't really like it.. But I do enjoy the SVP-Pro.. I second grabbing a Carving DCM1000 or 1500.

Zulufunk.. where can you pick up a QSC for a good price?
  18. I think It depends on your live situation. I've been a diehard SVT user since I began playing in 1979 and for the guy that just wants to rock theres nothing better. However, currently I'm with a band that started out all acoustic so a stage amp wasn't an option. We use Garwood in-ear monitors so I needed something to go direct but still give me as many different tones as I needed and the POD fits the bill. You really do need to spend some "quality" time with to find what workd best for your situation.

Good luck.
  19. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I have played through a POD before.. I didn't really like it.. But I do enjoy the SVP-Pro.. I second grabbing a Carving DCM1000 or 1500.

Zulufunk.. where can you pick up a QSC for a good price?

Lord Valve has some really good prices on QSC amps......e-mail him at and just type SUBSCRIBE
    He'll start mailing you updated info/price lists.

I think the SVP-Pro with Qsc power would be great...that's probably gonna be my next rig. But from past experiences with the Bass Pod I will definately be "fitting it in" somewhere in the rack system. Whadda yall think? :)
  20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Casey C.,
    You should check out the Stewart amps also. They're light weight and really have a great sound! has some great prices on all the models but I would focus on the 1.6 or 2.1 models. Also, I tried out the new Ampeg amps/pre-amps and although they did have a good sound I expected a warmer sound from the SVT-3PRO and SVP-PRO model's. They really didn't sound much different from the SVT-4PRO (no tubes).:confused: