line 6 bass pod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TAKEUPARMS, Mar 8, 2006.

Nov 9, 2005
    i've been checking out the line 6 bass pod xt . i just want to see what you guys have to say. It seems to look pretty good. I've seen the podxt live, but i don't want to spend more money, for something that has the same effects. so basically i'm asking what you guys think of the pod and is it good for live use. thanks
  2. SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got the model prior to the xt. I like it a lot for live playing and in the studio. I tend to only use a few of the amp models (mainly the SVT,Acoustic 360, Ampeg Fliptop, Fender Bassman, and Sub Dub), and a couple of the effects (hogsfoot and Danish driver), but they are worth the entire price.

I've owned the Acoustic 360 and a Bassman, and still own a fliptop, and the modeling is well done. The different sounds keep me fresh and interested, and I think I play better as a result. You need an amp that allows you to bypass its' built-in preamp and tone section, or you won't get the full effect of the unit.

3. I've used my friend's bass pod while playing along to some drum tracks, etc. It's an amazing piece of gear and I could see owning one if I ever get around to setting up a home studio. That's the good part.

I played with a guitar players that have used Pods and other Godzilla effects processors live that do everything up to and including steering the Sun. I've seen live gigs go south in a big hurry if the guy doesn't keep track of his pre-sets (which can be an issue if using a different set of parameters for each song) or if there's an equipment glitch. I feel a lot more comfortable in a live setting using a minimum of effects (all I use is an overdrive/distortion pedal and sparingly at that) because of what I've seen go wrong.

This is a moot point if you have a tech to keep track of this stuff. If you do decide to use this thing live, make sure you spend a LOT of time getting to know exactly how it works and have a back up plan if it fails.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a guitar PODXT. I love it. I originally bought it for recording guitar (of course), but with a little tweaking I have no problems recording bass with it too.

It can be overwhelming at first, because there's a TON of things to tweak on it (all those amp models with their idiosyncratic controls, plus several different cabinet models, plus mike settings, and on top of all that all the different effects and all of their settings), but I just purposely limit myself to a small handful of presets I've made and I figure if I get tired of my "amp," there's a bunch more waiting in there for me to try out if I need.
  5. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I've had a BP Pro, and now I have a BP XT Live and it is great. Mine has one minor issue that I'm going to have fixed (the pedal screws are too tight and it squeeks sometimes). As for sound it is great, the effects are great, etc. I'd say do what you can to get the live because the pedals & stomps on it are very useful so you can change it up live. You can buy a regular XT and then spend another few hundred on a MIDI floor control.
  6. I have the bass pod and really like it also. I use for live playing through a PA, as well as for recording. I like the Adam & Eve and California amp models.
  7. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Mine was totally useless to me... I hoped it would be a cure all to bass effects pedals. It was AMAZING to practice with, but I never dreamed about gigging with it. All the headaches at band practice ensured that it would happen on stage as well. My main issue was the whole, "it sounds good at (insert volume here)". Once the band kicked it, it was non-existant. I cranked the Pod up to be heard and it would just feedback and you name it...

Sold it on Ebay.