Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Bass POD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonedef, Nov 1, 2001.

1. tonedef

tonedef

Oct 18, 2001
    Carlisle, England
    I'm thinking about buying a bass pod for recording and playing gigs. Can anyone tell me if its any good.

Thanx

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i took a look at your profile. i used to have a bass pod and my suggestion is not yo buy the BOD. this is a very useful tool, but if i were you i'd upgrade the amp before venturing in the BOD. i sold mine to collect money and buy a new head. when you'll have a powerful amp you could give the BOD a try. first comes the bass, close second the amp. the rest even if useful can wait.

3. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    buying a bod is definitely the inexpensive way to go, if you don't have the money for a decent amp. if money is tight, buy the bod, and save your gig money for a new amp...

4. Starla as in the Smashing PUmpkins?

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The POD is useful for recording, but not as good for live work unless you intend to go DI into the PA when you gig. For recording it works wonders, and makes the bass sound a lot better on tape (IMO). You don't have to worry about miking up an amp when you record. Depends on what you want to use it for.

For live gigs, I would recommend the SansAmp Bass Driver rather than the POD.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a bass pod, and I love it.... I use it for recording, where it is really to easy to get a sounds to record with... I use it live to give my basses a little umph before it gets to the amp. The effects are good, the sounds are good... It beats any other device that trys to do the same thing...

P@

7. tonedef

tonedef

Oct 18, 2001
    Carlisle, England
    Yeah my bands called Starla after the pumpkins song, pumpkins rock!

8. Very cool. Check out the link in my sig for Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain's new band.

Anyways, getting back on topic, could a POD function as a direct box into the PA?

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    yes you can use tha BOD, and every amp that have a direct output, the way you asked. you can use with active cabs too.

10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    A Bass Pod is designed to be a direct box - that is its selling point - a direct box amp emulator.

11. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    What da hell is a BOD? ;) I was thinking of buying A pod to use as a live direct box, but, $350 for a DI?
    Nope, not happening. I just don't need all the frills.
    I also thought the compressor was pretty cheap sounding. Seems to me that gimmick may be the word on this thing. Check out the MXR bass DI +, or the sansamp. For the recording thing it makes a little more since with the mike/cab modeling and everything. It doesn't seem that those features would be as usefull in a live setting. If you can afford a "real" studio that uses an avalon preamp or something of the like, then go for that. I for one cannot afford $100/hr + to dish out on studio time working as a musician.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the BOD is the name used by Line 6 in their manuals for a black bean shaped thing also known as Bass Pod...;)

13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Ah haa...My bad. Thought they were typos.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm the king of the bad typos!!!:D