Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Bass PodXT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chap, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    What do you think of the new Line 6 PodXT effects modeler? I've jammed the other one, but not the newer one. Is it worth the 400 bucks they are selling it for?

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Not much info on the new XT here. I would get the XT and skip on the pro if you are not gigging much (which sounds like your plan anyhow). I think it would be a pain to set that kidney shaped pod up on top of your amp everytime you set up. Still, it is $300 less than the pro.
    From what I read, the modeling is great, the effects are OK for being digital. That's all people's opinions. I haven't tried one yet on the chance I will really like it and have to buy it. I have read from everyone that this really needs to be used on a poweramp, and not a head.
    Later,
    Wes

3. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Yeah I get where you are coming from about putting the Pod on top of your amp while you play, but it doesn't really matter to me. I am going to go to the guitar store and jam the Pod XT and when I get back I'll post what I think of it. Yesterday I played the regular Bass Pod (not XT) and it was alright. The new one should be better. peace. -PC.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Please do. Our GC doesn't have one set up to demo. I would love to hear what you think of it. Do you plan on getting the pedal?

5. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Yes I plan on getting the Bass Pod or the Bass Pod XT. I'm in a band now called Manhunt, it is all instrumental and no vocals. We have death metal riffs, to breakdowns, metal riff straight to blues jams, to 1930's style jazz, and the occasional Tool trip out session. Just stuff to mess around on, so some help from the effects pedal is in store. Guitar-Bass-Drums, I will check out the Pod XT tomorrow or the next day, then post my findings soon afterward. -PC.

6. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I love my BassPODxt. Best sounding piece of digital equipment Ive ever used. Works great in the studio, and when I don't feel like bringing an amp to small gig. Unless you really need an FX loop save ourself the $300 and get the bean one, i find having it mounted on a mic stand more accesable than mounted in a rack.

7. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I jammed the Bass Pod XT yesterday and actually started paying layaway on it. It's a good piece of equipment, I don't know much about it yet, it looks pretty complex, but once I get the hang of it it will be easier. Around 64 effects, each effect is different and I could do a lot of different things for my new all-instrumental band. Features the amp model thing that the other Pod has. Once I get it and get used to it, I will tell you more. -PC.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Is there a true modeling bypass on it? I have a GK1001 right now, and I love the tone as it is, but I would also like to mess around with the other modeling from time to time, and of course use the effects and the tuner (so I can replace that effects board). Rumer has it that the pod just doesn't sound good through a head.
    I honestly wouldn't mind setting the pod up on top of my combo, but I have read that using it in anything other than a pure power amp results in some pretty crappy tone. Any thoughts?
    Wes

9. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    yes you can bypass the modeling by simply setting the amp model to"bypass". I which case you can still use the FX, ParametriceEQand compression. The PODxt also has a DI outfor a completely direct signal. Think of the PODxt as a preamp. Would you use a SVPpro preamp before your GK preamp/head? probably not. If you have a way to bypass your heads preamp (like through the FX loop) than you could use he PODxt as a preamp and your head as a poweramp. I have used my PODxt with just my amps poweramp with great results. It also helps to turn off the cab models, but you can get some good/different tones with them on. I also prefer my PODxt mounted on a mic stand rather than on my amp, this allows me to place it closer to me (just to the right of my vocal mic) so I can tweak more easily if needed.

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Chap,
    Did you play it through a head, or an amp?

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    rygelxvi,
    Do you also use a pedal? Can you give me a little breakdown on how you use it in a given evening, and also your rig setup. I am assuming you go from bass to pod, and pod to pa amp. I wonder if you really need to pedalboard during a gig. I only need to tune the whole guitar at the beginning of each gig, and during the drop D songs.
    Thanks,
    Wes

12. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I do not use the pedal board, yet. I've only had the PODxt for about 2 months and have'nt had the extra cash for it, it's on my x-mas list though. I think the pedal board is a must for using the PODxt live. That's pretty much why I haven't used it at any larger gigs. I have used it at small gigs by itself going from the model out direct to the board. I switch between 2 basic patches, one for my slap sound and the other for fingerstyle. I also use a complete bypass patch and a patch for my synth sounds. I havn't found a setup with my amp I'm completly happy with yet, but I didn't buy it to replace my amp. Its more for studio work and small gigs where I want to go direct. It does sound good going just into the power secion of my amp (a mesa boogie mpulse) but then I still would have to mic the amp to get my sound to the PA. I could use the direct out on the POD but that would be an uneffected signal, no fx. I may just put the POD in my amps FX loop and use it strictly for FX at larger gigs. One other option is to get a stereo power amp and and use the PODxt crossover, sending highs to my 2x10 and lows to my 1x15. I don't get very many big gigs so I haven't really had a chance to try different things yet. I did work great going direct though so maybe that will be my end choice who knows. I really recomend the pedal board if you use fx live. Without it you really cant turn different FX on and off during a song unless you have rests. If you plan to just stay in the same patch or just change it before the song then you could live without it.

13. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I love my bass pod xt too!!This multieffect is incredible.
    The effects are really good(professionnal quality) and the amp modelings bring me versatility, always with great tone.
    I am looking for a footswitch to bypass it when I want my have my svt3pro sound.

BASS POD XT is really better than bass pod!
    You can t go wrong with this preamp.

14. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Citizen,
    Are you running it in the main or effects input of your ampeg?

15. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    When I jammed the Bass Pod XT at the store, I played my Ibanez Sr3000 and with the SWR 8004 Head and SWR Workingmans 8X10. Sounded great at low and high volumes, pissing everyone off in the store when I played loud. I'm going to get the FBV (silver and black) footswitch when I finish paying off the Pod XT, and I'll be in business.

16. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    i use my pod xt in the power amp IN.Can I bypass the loop effect with a foot switch?

17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using a Bass Pod on gigs for 3 years now, and love it. Is the XT enough of an improvement that it would be worth $400 to upgrade? Or is it just a marginal difference?

18. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    If you want to use more FX, better synths and have a parametric eq, Yes. If your happy with the tone of your Pod and don't use the FX very often, No. I think the xt has better tone overall but if you like the pod than why change.

19. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Just got my PodXT yesterday and it's a lot of fun. Great sound, great effects, never heard anything as good as these effects, ever. Haven't really gotten the hang of it completely yet, gotta finish reading the manual. I really need the FBV 4-channel footswitch, but it hasn't arrived at the local guitar store yet, soon enough though. I've tried connecting the USB cable to the computer and I downloaded the software from Line6.com but I don't know what to do after that. HELP!

20. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I have just received my fbv shortboard, and i am so happy!!!!
    The Wah is good, and i am going to edit my custom sounds.

What a perfect machine!!!