Line 6 bass synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ruud Das, Mar 5, 2002.

1. :confused:
    Ok, so what's the deal with this bass synth effect on the line 6 bass pod? Every time I try get some decent sound out of it I only hear some weird Ploink/Buzz (Hahaha, I guess now you all know exactly what I mean) and that sound is NEVER reproducable (meaning that the second time I strike the string it sound completely different, or not at all). I've tried it with all available amp models and at different effect levels. I know it's not the pod because I got the same result with a pod in a music store.

What am I missing with this effect? I never used one before or even heard one in a song (not to my knowledge anyway), so I have no point of reference as to how it should sound!
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That is a pretty poor representation of the Boss Bass Synth. Also I don't think the Tron models are good reproductions of the Mutron, and I have no idea what the S&H would even be used for... I do like the choruses and the phase shifter, the octaver isn't bad, and the Rodent (Rat distortion) is pretty good. The main thing to remember though is that the Bass Pod isn't designed primarily as a multieffects unit, it is an amp modeller, and does a great job at that. The effects are just extras, and you can get better results if you use real stompboxes in front of the Bass Pod.
  3. Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    In my opinion, most of the effects on the pod aren't very usefull.
    The synth is a good example of it. I really don't know why they put that on the pod. Same for the sample and Holds.

On the other way: most bassplayers don't use a lot of effects, and the most-usefull effects on the pod are (very) good. e.g. the Danish Chorus. In fact today I sold my Boss Chorus cause it's rubbish compaired to the pod's

You're from Valkenswaerd? I play in a band called Monte Carlo,
    we often do shows in Valkenswaerd :)
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Strange I never had a problem with the bass synth on the pod (although its not nearly as good as the Boss stomp box), the thing I find with bass synth effects is that your phrasing and 'attack' have to be very consistent ie you have to hit each note with the same intensity/velocity (which takes a bit of work), and to be honest I cant think of many situations where you'd actually need the effect....(well, apart from if your covering Jamiroquais light years or that 80s 'just be good to me' track) now personally I could use it if the actual effect was tuned down an octave, as it is it's too 'toppy' for my liking.

oh yeah, I ACTUALLY found a use for the S & H effect in a recent recording session I did...who'd a thunk it? :D
  5. Ok, the bass synth is probably out (I just wanted to see if I was the only one with this problem, I guess not). Too bad for our singer/guitarist who wanted to do more experimental stuff with some effects.

Thanks for the input.

I'll be sure to check you out some time if I have the chance!