Line 6 Delay: volume and tone problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chizzops, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Chizzops

Oct 29, 2002
    I have a Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler running through my effects loop. I just got a crossover, and run it before the delay. When I get unity gain by ear with the crossover's built in gains to the amp's original gain, my line 6 starts causing all sorts of unpleasant distortion and tone meltdown. The effects sends of my Mo' Bass are 220 Ohms, and I'm pretty sure the Line 6 has a HIGH input impedance (of course they don't list it in the owner's manual). If I turn down, the problem is fixed, but then I must turn up the amp to compensate.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My understanding is that the Line 6 delay unit is made to be run off the instrument input, not a line input. Sometimes you are going to get problems like this when you run pedals through your effects loop. My recommendation is to put it on the floor and just run the bass through it, like it is designed for.
  3. If I don't run it through my effects loop and run it straight, will it suck out all my tone? Just curious....
    I'd rather not run it through the effects loop, I hate having all those cords lying around everywhere.

4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you talking about the DL-4 (green stompbox)? It's got true bypass, so when you're not using it you can hear the raw sound of your bass through the amp... and even when you use it's effects, you can get some sweet sounds.

If you've got one, try it both ways and see which you prefer - I'm quite happy sticking it in my signal chain before the amp.