Line 6 DL4 for bass / project studio?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    What are your thoughts on the DL4? Does it hold up well on bass, or does it lose a bit in the low end?

I'm in the middle of building a project studio and recently bought a VA (virtual analog) synth to lay down some synth-bass parts, leads, etc. I'd like to have a nice delay unit that I could use both live (bass, synth, or guitar) and would hold its own in a studio. Would you say the DL4 is worthy of recording, or should I invest in a more expensive and more flexible (although not as portable) rack unit?

2. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering the same as I'm thinking of getting one also. I would imagine it wouldn't suck much tone as it doesn't need to process the signal in any way.

But...I'm speaking out of my ass so maybe someone else should answer...:cool:
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I haven't met a delay unit that dropped the bottom. All it does is hold the signal.
  4. The Line 6 would be fine for live, but in the studio you're better off to use a plug-in delay so you can match the effect to the tempo of the song, assuming you are recording digitally and playing to a click, plus you can play with the effect after you record the clean track.

My .02.

Good luck!
  5. I've heard that the DL4 is one of the best delays around. I'd try it, and buy it.
  6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  7. I own one and I'm happy with it - i was looking for a real tape delay but I end up with DL4 and I don't regret ... regarding sync - it has a tap tempo which is very useful - imho perfectly synched delay is boring ...
  8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The DL4 has some really good models, and the looper is nice. I think that thyey may have overdone the "vintage" sound a bit. The EQ/res on the tape delays are a little too nasty sounding for me.

I bought my Boss DD-20 while I still had the DL4 and I decided to keep the DD-20. Both are very usable, but I like the control layout on the Boss better than the DL4. On the DL4 the knobs change function with each patch and without the manual it can be frustrating. It was that or make a cheat-sheet with the knob assignments. Bah!