Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 DM4, distortion modeler

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Heckxx, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I'm actually highly considering getting this unit, because in theory it will let me sample many different distortion pedals at once, and then I can figure out which one I like the most and buy it. Also, the DM4 has models of the two next pedals I'd prolly want to try: the DOD 250 and the EHX Big Muff(s). Plus I noticed the bassist from Thrice uses it live, so it can't be all that bad. Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

, I currently switch between a clean signal and a Boss-ODB3 for super-heavy overdrive. I like my sound, but I'm always wondering if there's something better out there.

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I know what you mean by going the Line 6 route to figure out what you want. For those not familiar with bass gear that much it's the best way to explore without pissing off salesmen and losing money on gear.

As far as I know, the bassist from Thrice uses the TS-9 model on the DM-4. If his type of sound is what you're after then there are a couple ways you could go. You could get a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, an Ibanez PD-7, a Keeley modified Boss DS-1 Distortion, a Keeley modified Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, or a Digitech Bass Driver. All three of them are better than the ODB-3, plus you can make the Digitech simulate the ODB-3 if you really want it to.

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Cool. I actually had the Digitech bass driver for awhile, i didnt like it much; sold it for the ODB-3. the fact that there was no "drive" knob really bothered me

4. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It's cool. I own the Digitech too, but I kinda use it in a different way most people would. I seem to have made a glitch on my last entry. I meant the first three pedals I listed were better than the ODB-3, the Digitech is kind of a toss up. As with most things in life, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

The DOD 250 is kind of a toss up, it really depends on the amp and the bass you use with it. If you're planning on getting a Big Muff, get the US made one (the silver one). The Russians don't take different tolerances into account so each Russian Big Muff sounds different. If you like to gamble you could go and play Russian roulette with a couple Russian Big Muffs until you find one that you like.

Other than that, I guess the best way I could help guide you on your quest is what type of sound are you looking for, are there any players that have the type of sound you're looking for, etc.?