1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 Echo Park issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkzfly, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Hey, need some advice from some of the effects buffs out there or anyone who's had the same problem with their Echo Park.

Running the pedal in my chain is causing me quite a bit of hassle because it's creating a hell of a lot of noise when i use it in conjunction with my Powerbank 9V...without the 9V adaptor running on batteries it's fine but from my point of view it would be much easier for me to power it via 9V adaptor.

Anyone had a similar problem and come across any ways to stop the noise? It's annoying me, especially because I can't gig the pedal otherwise.

Any input appriciated, cheers

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's a well-known problem with the Echo Park. You can buy a noise gate like a Boss NS-2, you can use 9V batteries, or you can buy a different delay pedal.

I was considering buying an Echo Park right up until I heard about that problem... Not anymore. Seems kinda lame that they'd let a pedal that'd otherwise great have that problem...

-Dash

3. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    I just bought an Echo Park from someone here. Even though I haven't received it yet all of the reviews I've read about it say it needs a dedicated powersupply with enough juice. I guess this thing is a thirsty pedal. Supposedly the VooDoo Labs Multi-out adapter also works and will eliminate the noise... I'll let you know how the EP works out for me when I get it in the mail.

4. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    you can buy a 9V adaptor produced by line 6, i guess they produce those stuff. then if you still have the problem you can always write to their customer service and throw them a huge stack of complain and ask for a free DL4.

5. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Cheers man, that would be great.

And yep, I reckon I might get in touch with line 6...don't reckon I'll get very far though.

6. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    I'm reasonably sure that those Line 6 tonecore pedals all make that kind of noise without the Line 6 adaptor or batteries. I don't know if there's a legit technical reason for this, but working at a music store I try to warn people before they buy them as I've had several returned for that reason.

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    My Space Chorus is the same. But, I've gigged with it, and it's inaudible when playing. It's not even noticeable with the rest of the band playing and everything, even when its just bass, I couldn't hear it, and didn't get any complaints about hissyness :p

Seriously, I think it's ok to gig with.

8. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Ultimately though, I don't want noise at all from my rig, especially the kinds of gigs I play. I can't settle for any noise coming from my rig at all...

Might see if I can take it back and get a Boss or something.

9. bobe

bobe

Dec 26, 2005
    rochester,ny
    all my line 6 tonecore pedals run quiet using the voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus. That includes a space chorus, echo park and liquidflange

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've found that most "spacial" effects enhance noise that you didn't realize was there in the first place. I'd suggest getting a Boss NS-2 (or the behringer copy, if you feel lucky ;) ) and putting all your spacial (and volume) effects after it and everything else in it's loop. Not kidding at all, this effect is downright amazzing.

Note that the NS-2 doesn't kill the noise while your playing, it is a gate, pure and simple. The great thing is it opens/closes the gate based on the output of your bass (in relation to the threshold) so you can have the most hi-gain effects and they'll be no noise wilst not playing. Now, unless you can obviously hear the noise while playing the NS-2 will be perfect

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Explore the dedicated PS option first before trying a noise gate. Gates can be very irritating when you're playing at low volume (like a cozy gig). They can kill your sustain or cut you off entirely.

12. Eddie95Z28

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Ok, I received my Echo park today. Let me start off by saying it sounds amazing to me. There was no hiss or unusual hums at the volume I was playing at. I was using a panasonic adapter that puts out 350 mADC so power wasn't an issue. I haven't tried it with any type of daisy chain. However the manual states pretty clearly that all of the tone core pedals need an isolated power supply. I also didn't have any disagreeable volume difference between effect on and bypass. The only gripe I can agree with is that while the pedal overall is built like a tank the knobs seem rather flimsy. I am going to see if I can find and shallow rubber coated knobs to replace them. Overall I'd give the Echo Park 2 thumbs up. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a lot of features in a delay with it being overwhelming.

13. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I had this problem once. The well known solution is not a gate or battery or different pedal, but to use a power supply that can supply more current.

Almost all the tone core pedals draw much more than the "average" effect pedal, and if your trying to run the Echo Park daisy chained or otherwise from a power supply that can't provide enough you will probably get noise. It's a great pedal, you should keep it but find away to get more power to it.

14. i use a space chorus and i perfectly still

15. I've read somewhere in the Harmony Central FX forums that this Echo Park needs somthing like 9.6V instead of the regular 9V that most effect pedals need. Therefore, when you use a standard 9V adaptor, the Echo Park receives to little voltage and creates hiss.

I don't know if it's true but that's what I read. A dedicated/isolated power supply might be a solution as far as I know.

16. Eddie95Z28

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    The manual does say 9.6v as the "nominal" voltage. But it also lists 6v as the minimum and 16v as the max. It is made to run off of 9v batteries. So 9v is fine. The problem most people seem to be having is that they are either using a daisy chain setup or just plain under-powering it. I have been using it with a 350mA adapter and it has been absolutly silent for me. Anybody getting noise with their Echo Park should try it with an isolated adapter of at least 200mA and see what happens.

17. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    It seems stupid for Line 6 to design a product that's going to require more than a 9V voltage from an adaptor...that's nuts...

Thanks for all the input mates, I'll check out a dedicated power supply