Line 6 FM-4 Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Nov 3, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    After trying quite a few filters and stuff (in my price range) I decided to try the FM-4.

This was mainly due to seeing Doug Wimbish and his use of the Digitech Synth Wah, Dod FX25 and a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore. So basically I was looking for something that would cover most of these situations and not at a massive cost. For example some of the sounds I'm demanding from these filters and synth's are:

Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground
    RHCP - Sir Psyco Sexy
    Living Colour - Flying

And then something just plain wierd if I can. Firstly I tried the Boss V-Wah and while I'm sure its great for what it does it doesn't have the sounds I want in the synth section really.

Next I tried a mini q-tron and it got me that really trebly quacky sound that I was after but so does my Dunlop 105q so no point when I already have this sound.

Next I tried the digitech and set all the controls flat and just switched between the modes, all of them sounded great and not cold and digital at all (IMHO), but it seemed a little controlled I'm sure theres some insane settings but I didn't really play with as it is currently the fallback pedal (ie if I don't find anything I like more I'll get it). My other problem is I need a few of the digitechs to get the sounds I want or I have to start twidling knobs during songs.

Right so finally I tried the FM-4, I have always been impressed with the Line 6 DL-4 and am only not getting one of those because I will be buying the echo park by them, I how ever have never liked the POD, I loved the idea but it didn't follow through for me.

Now this pedal is really well built, the buttons don't click when switching between patches, and just generally seems well made. I started to mess around with this and it quickly became aparent that this is what i've been looking for. For starters the Voltage Controlled Synth was the sound that I loved from my korg AX1B you know what I mean the Random sound in the Mod section makes you sound like ur playing under water and your notes bubble, now this is a sound I've been looking for for ages since I sold the AX1B infact and now here it is in a studier box as well, GREAT.

With the tron up and down models I easily found the quacky filter tone of the Dod fx25, which again is one I wanted. Then in trying the last preset I got that Jamiroquai sound that I'm after I had to tweek a couple of things so it was less intense but it's there.

After playing with the thing for about 30 mins I loved it, I didn't manage to try it with an expression pedal but I will probably buy one with it when I finally raise some cash.

My main concern with this pedal is the sounds are pretty crazy from the get go (which is good) but I worry that I won't be able to tame them to suit my bands, my guitarist reassured me that it sounded great and with some proper time with it I could really find some ace sounds.

Hope this mini review is helpful to people, now if any one has any experience with it please let me know the reviews at harmony central seem very centred on guitar.

BTW that synth strings sound is awesome can't wait to unleash my ebow on it.

2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    awesome! I have a midi-based setup and I've been thinking of getting the rack version for a while now.

Are there any tracking problems with the thing (or does it not do tracking, heh)? I was initially worried that it may be designed more for guitar pitches and not the lower bass pitches.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    its a bit strange on the lower notes it gets muddy but moving the freq knob fixes this again I didn't play with it for ages but I would presume that with the expression pedal you could alter the freq like that if you really had to.

This was only apparent on the really heavy wierd synth sounds all the filters are fine and work with chord and double stops fine.

hope this helps
  4. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    thank you very much for this review! ;)

would you be as kind as to post some audio samples?
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    As soon as I buy the thing I will ;)