1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HD 500.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by todd0864, Feb 4, 2016.

1. todd0864

todd0864

Mar 9, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Anybody using a guitar effects unit with their bass and having success? I wasn't too impressed with the one bass amp sim it has and it was very quiet. I have not bought the bass amp pack yet. Would it make sense to just run it into my amp with the loop send and return? I used to use it in 4 cable method with my guitar and tube amp. For bass I was thinking of just using it for effects like comp, OD, noise gate and maybe a few others but not the preamps. I already have the unit so why not try it out? Any common issues I may run into?

2. Dirt/fuzz might be thin due to low end cutting on models, comp is a simple guitar one from memory, loved the delays & reverb though.

3. todd0864

todd0864

Mar 9, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Well I played around with it last night. Just ran the output into the effects return on the Rumble 500. Mixed results. Downloaded a patch someone made with dual amps, it was so quiet and I could not get the volume up. Tried my own with a single amp and had better results. Put in a volume pedal, noise gate, tube comp, fuzz pi, with a delay and reverb after the amp. I have to say I enjoyed trying all the fuzz pedals with the gains past 50%. Fun times. The reverb adds a nice touch with the mix level down a bit. But there's something to be said about just using stomp boxes. I'm not really into running 100 different tones. I just want to find my tone. I also have some Boss pedals, cs-3, ns-2, sd-1, mt-2, ge-7, bf-3, a dod 250, and a pitchblack tuner. I want to get my hands on a vt bass di and try that along with the ns-2 and cs-3. Or maybe hold out for the bass fly rig.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I use an Axe-Fx II with great results. I've never really been impressed with the Line6 offerings. I do want to try a Helix soon.

5. Andybod

Andybod

May 4, 2015
    South Wales
    I recently picked up the Bass Pod and bypass the eq on my ashdown head by going straight from the bass to the input on the pod and from there to the return on the fx loop.

I've tried all the options, bass-pod-input and bass to amp with the pod going through the fx loop.

It's not the best out there but it suits my set up for now.

6. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I have the pod hd500x and the bass models and a Rumble 200. I have some patches setup with the fenderish bass amp and the the SVT. They use dual paths and sound ok. I would only use them with the effects return on Rumble. However, I much prefer to turn the amps off and use it in front of the combo. I also use a dual path to get a clean and distorted sound with a single patch with good results. I prefer this distortion over rumble's. And I prefer the rumble amp over the models.

Someone on the L6 forums asked me to post my SVT patch when I was still messing around with the pod as they were messing with dual paths and having level problems. I warned them I was a noob but they wanted me to upload it anywsy. Hoping you aren't fussing with that patch!!! I put disclaimers all over the description.

I believe you will get better results using it as a stompbox in front of the amp. Don't give up on dual paths and use it for effects IMO. My levels are decent. I should take down that patch.

7. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I'm having great success using an HD500x in front of my amp, most of the time using modelling to go straight to PA. The Zoom B3 I had was much more user-friendly in dialing in bass tones, but the POD is much more flexible. The catch is you really need to spend time with the unit building sounds. My basic tone is build around the Blackface preamp (no cabinet) and then stacking various effects. I use dual-paths to preserve clean signal on my overdrives as I find the drives alone to be a little harder to dial in. By keeping a clean signal path it's much easier to get the lighter amounts of dirt that I prefer. The chorus, flange, chorus, etc. I found pretty easy to find good settings with.

On a side note, this unit is MUCH easier to operate via the software. I'm a believer as I don't feel like I've lost much at all from my small analog board I was using from a tone perspective. It simply took a little more work to build out the sounds I wanted since the effects are not bass-specific at all.

Scatabrain likes this.
  8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Note: my amp & speakers are all full range(ACME, BOSE...sort of, SWR, PA stack). The at home setup is: bass->Line 6->QSC2402->two ACME B2's(one on each side of the computer seat). You will get much better sound quality using a Line 6 with a full range cabinet. Any other method leaves a lot to be desired sound-wise.

Had the HD 500X in a box for almost a year and finally got it out a few weeks ago when the 2nd BPXTLive started acting up(100+ shows later, the first one lasted about 500 shows).
    So far with the HD 500X:
    1) Took it outside, hooked up to full range PA, cranked it, figured out which presets to keep
    2) Saved them as an OEM Bundle
    3) Reloaded with the factory "bass" stuff(in the Bass/Voc/Acou setlist IIRC)
    4) Downloaded the bass pack sims
    5) Labeled channels 7A thru 9D with my 12 patches that cover 99.9999% of what we play and then some
    6) Loaded the handfull of factory patches I like for bass onto the remaining channels

Then we got booked for 5 shows in 6 days(normally it's 1 to 3 per week) plus a fulltime career.
    I'll work some more on my patches this week now that I'm almost recovered.

PS: My brother is a Line 6 guru with the HD's since they came out so I have good guidance on "how to".

Here's an interesting intro to building dual amp sounds. Pay special attention to the very useful info regarding placement of devices and EQ setting. It DOES NOT just apply to getting a metal tone and the editor shown is the one as-used with the HD500X.
    NSFW language in some spots

Enjoy.

Final note: Line 6 allows instant changing of complete sound/setup, super-flexibility. If ever a show needs to be done without being a tone chameleon, preference falls to the rack rig 1(SansAmp RBI->dbx 166xL->QSC2402->ACME B2's). Rack rig 2 is when the FOH cannot be trusted and is a biamped rig with an 18" speaker with a 15+horn or 4x8+tweeter set on top of it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Scatabrain likes this.