Line 6 HD400 Lowdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Raw N Low, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I was browsing my local craigslist and came across one of these amps for next to nothing. I was wondering if anybody here has any feedback on the performance of these amps. I've seen a few older post from 2008-2012, but wanted to see if these have stood the test of time. Were they a flash in the pan or a good investment for a backup or studio recording amp?

2. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Soooo hard to keep up with the pouring responses......

3. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Really underpowered. The 750 model was much better. It was really large, and not much power. Plus, they kept the difficult system of presets, but with no quick visual way to see where the knobs are set.

I had both models. That said, if it works, it could be a fun amp to use. It had a great chorus, a tuner, etc.

At best I'd spend no more than $150.

Raw N Low likes this.
  4. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Synterx. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. I already picked up a SVT IIP preamp and a JHS Pandimonium pedal last week. I was curious because it was listed as a "rare amp".

I did see a Tech 21 PSA-1 come up I might turn my attention to for sound modeling.

5. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Rare is stretching it a bit I think. They are only rare because they probably didn't sell many, not because it was that great. I actually got a 750 for around $300 a few years ago, mint. And happen to find a matching 410 bass cab from Line 6. So I grabbed a shortboard foot controller, and made a complete Line 6 bass rig for a few gigs. When put on the Ampeg clone, it actually sounded great. Just like what I imagine a big Ampeg system to sound like. But, since there are so many things to fiddle with, I found myself fiddling around with everything. Then, the last set of the night, I realized if I treated it like a regular amp, no presets, just putting the knobs where I wanted, it was pretty cool. But it was a big ol' heavy amp. And I was and still am in the mini amp phase.

I still am waiting for Line 6 to take a 2 rack space POD, and include a 500 watt class D module in the back somehow. Or, have 2 empty slots in the back, and one can be a Wireless module, and one a 500 watt amp. And boom, 2 rack spaces, ready to go.

6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    What they getting for Lowdown. They go pretty cheap, was thinking about getting one for practice, sorry I mean rehearsal, and to flog on

7. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    It was going for under $200. Reviews seemed lukewarm and it was more of an investment purchase than a need. I'm starting to get into recording so it would be hard to justify this purchase considering what I already have.

8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    2 bills is about avg, I'd pass on it too