1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 Helix all in one rig?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by recode, Sep 21, 2018.

1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Hi guys, I saw a several threads on talkbass about using Line 6 Helix on bass, but no one approached the questions I have. I'm particularly interested in Helix LT model. My idea is to gig ampless, with in-ear monitoring system, only having a bass and pedalboard/floor unit(Helix for example). Saying this I'm interested in all Helix features, but the most important one for me is amp and cab sims. Right now I'm using Tech 21 products to go direct to front of house and I like me sound, but I want more pedals to get a better tone, compressor, for example, is one them and I would also like some FX pedals like delays and reverbs, but the thing is - I don't like cheap pedals, not that it's about a price, but usually good pedals are costy. So I thought, what if I will sell all my pedals and get myself a Helix LT? Is it a good idea guys? So again my main question is does anyone here using Helix whichever model specifically for amp and cab sim for direct sound and how good it is? I need your help bass brothers.

2. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Helix is fantastic. There are very few things it doesn't do well. I was extremely satisfied with it as my entire rig to FoH.

recode likes this.
  3. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that. Well that sounds cool, this is exactly what I need.

4. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Anybody else can say something? :help:

5. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have been using a Helix Rack for a year or so. I use mine as a preamp and I have a power amp and cab on stage. I configure my presets to have a separate output path for FOH but you should be able to do what you describe very easily.

--jack

recode likes this.
  6. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    I bought a Helix LT exactly for the same use case as yours. I use the 8x10 Ampeg IR from redwirez, and an analog octaver and a fuzz pedal in the 2 loops. with the routing, rest of the internal effects this is a very powerfull rig and it sounds just awesome. i am super happy. i run the jack out without the IR in it to the amp for monitoring and the XLR Out as DI-Signal with the IR's and the FOH was never happier.

recode likes this.
  7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Although I don't use a Helix, but my thinking was exactly the same, as in going amp-less (not that bothered about IEM's though).

A Helix would be amazing, but it is a financial step too far for me, they aren't cheap. However, the older HD500x is still a very viable option, and a great "value" alternative to Helix and the other high end modelers / pre-amp's (Kemper/AxeFX/Headrush/etc.).

8. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Guys thank you for your input! This really helps. For now I'll stick to my pedal board with Sansamp, because I'm not gigging so much now, but I think you convinced me to go digital in the future, I mean all in one unit. I'm glad that there is people here on TB who think differently, I mean I like tube amps and all this kind of stuff, but leave it for the studios, I'm my opinion, I'm young and I'm always thinking open-minded about stuff like this, one thing I care about is sound, if its portable, function and sounds good, then I'll go for it, with in-ear monitoring you don't even care for stage volume.

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    New Helix Lt here, and am going the FRFR and IEM direction, I won't miss lugging 8x10 cabs

Rooster009 likes this.