1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 HX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I love the Helix. Long ago, I predicted that the engine would be reused in a smaller and cheaper form factor. Since then, they've released the LT and a vst / software version.

And now, the HX effects. Personally, this finally seems like the one that finally fits my usage. I'm still looking into it, but it looks like this could be the end all be all for me. The full Helix was just total overkill for me. LT wasn't enough of a middle ground...or low ground?

Looks like price right around $600. Seems reasonable to me. I hope to pick one up.

Line 6 | HX Effects

BrentSimons and CharlieC like this.
  2. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    I've been reading through the manual and this unit is crazy flexible. I will definitely be ordering one when funds allow. I've used an M9 off and on for years and the HX Effects is about as good an update as those of us who've wanted an upgraded M-series line for years could've possibly asked for.

3. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    I cannot tell if this unit will feature amp and cab sims as well or just FX?

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    They've also added 77 "legacy" effects, many from the m9/13/whatever, and mm4 jm4 etc, or whatever those are called. So if you liked those you should be happy.

5. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Just effects, no amp / cab models. But you can load IRs if I read right.

CharlieC likes this.
  6. I need the opposite...the HX Amps. ;) Generally I only use a smidgen of chorus or flange for the most part.
    Looks very cool though.
    Brent

BrBss, LowDownHawkeye and CharlieC like this.
  7. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Exactly. Better sounding M-series effects PLUS all effects from the Helix makes this a no-brainer for me. This plus my Eventide H9 might replace everything else on my board with the exception of some analog dirt pedals.

Yes, you can load 3rd party IRs.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. Any blends or routing options for the dirts/overdrives? That would be awesome!

9. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Parallel paths are available. That was a huge bonus in the Helix, I'm glad it's available on this too.

10. Thank you! I just took a peek at the manual as well. Looks like the Darkglass sim and Wounded Paw sims are there from the Helix. This really could be a winner! Nice Line 6! I've missed you! :)
    Brent

ThrewSilver likes this.
  11. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    IR loading is huge...I have the full Helix floor and it's one of my favorite features. Hopefully the smaller version will let you put the IR only on the FOH signal while the non-IR signal is sent to ab amp for stage monitoring like the full size one does. Prevents double cab-ing the signal, giving you the sound you want on stage and for the crowd.

12. So.. up to 9 effects in a row? That's interesting. I have an M13... This one looks like a great upgrade option.
    @ChubbyJerk , I´ve seen you already have and use the Hélix.. What's your opinion after using it on bass all this time?

But there's no XLR out on this version. How do you Split the signal for FOH and amp ?

13. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Helix is fantastic on bass. They added some bass specific models a while back that are great. If you're in the market for something in that price range, I'd highly recommend at least giving it a look/listen. And now you've got 3 price tiers to choose from, making it an even better option. I'm excited.

14. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Helix effect send blocks have a dry through option, so the signal will still flow internally through the chain while still being sent out. (I know the full helix has this, guessing the hx effects does as well). Helix lets you separate the send and return blocks for effects, so you just don't add an effect return for the loop used to send the signal to your amp.

Signal chain: fx1 -> fx2 -> ... -> effects loop send -> IR -> HX effects out -> DI box -> FOH

This lets you take the send from the effects loop and route it to your amp, while also sending it to the IR so it can be sent to FOH.

mac_4ps likes this.
  15. IMG_0325.GIF

I'm in love.

16. Interesting! Thanks for explaining it.

Damn.. i'm gassing one of this Little units...

17. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    I've got a Helix Rack and Helix Native and love it. I'm not sure if I'd be have a use for just the effects minus the amps though. Don't get me wrong, the effects are great, and I'm sure many people will love this, but to me the mean draw of Helix is that it simplifies a rig to the point that it can replace everything (in combination with an active speaker), and that you can record with it and sound great.

Still, it's probably a very cool and great sounding unit, so if you're in the market for a multi effects unit for your board (or to replace your board completely), this is definitely worth looking into.

If I had the money, I'd get 3 rack units and put them in a rack, so it can be used live for bass and 2 guitars. I currently have one in a rack with a tube amp to support 2 guitars, and a separate bass setup. I'm the only gear head in the band, and we play mostly my music, so I like having the whole setup :)

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I’d def like to take this thing for a spin.

19. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I wonder how much (if any) control I'd have over this unit using my Boss ES-5....I am midi stupid for sure, but the thought of combining some analog stomps w/ some of the effects in the HX, and controlling them with single button stomps sounds pretty sweet.

20. ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    HX can be set up to use midi for preset recall, snapshot recall, block bypass (effect on/off), parameter control, expression pedal input, looper control, tap temp, tuner on/off...and maybe even more?

So if you can set up your ES-5 to send midi commands, HX can pretty much do it all via midi in.

HX can also be used to send midi commands. By default, it will send out midi program change messages when you switch presets. You can also set up your own commands and send them out when you hit the footswitches.

Note that this is my understanding from reading the manual. I've never actually used midi to do any of this.

gregmon79 and Turtle71 like this.