1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 HX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 25, 2018.

1. cdwthunderfoot

cdwthunderfoot Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Kenosha Wi
    Single notes would likely be fine for my needs, I'm in the process of rebuilding my guitar/bass hybrid board. the idea is to have a few of my favorite drive pedals with a multi effects unit of some kind to do the things that I don't need for every song ( was using a boss ms-3 for this but it was too much programming in order to turn one thing on or off at a time) I could absolutely just bring my bass whammy, but in the same amount of real estate I could use 2 expression pedals instead.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For this, IMO, it would be perfect. Once you pick us how to navigate and program, which took all of 30 min for me, its a total breeze. And you can set it up to where all you'd need to do is switch patches/snapshots when needed.

3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    In a nutshell, this is basically what I'm doing/have done - replaced most of my board (and expanded with a heap of functionality that I didn't have originally) by getting a HX and then keeping a few choice pedals that I want. Specifically, a couple of shades of dirt pedals, my Cali76 compressor and an analog octaver

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. I've seen some covers for the scribble strips earlier... is this just plexiglas with some glue?

My main setup with the HX Rack is now more or less finished.
    2IyUJJ0oqoqjMGKydvCnymZrYgVMJfeEt_awaiWa8QWg4ud8cT9c6GrGJM8M2aUlVJnRczJ5RJJGxJWta64=w907-h680-no.
    Now I have the little black one. The power issue is unsolved. I'd love to have a really easy and small solution, since it's only these three things. Any idea how to do this?
    h5ISsmq6YvfNntQYVdfYAq7DhTjaZPPP9g5t0PRTvsS_Yfy1GIJg3JKHfM1cv3P600cJ2JZr3xVmngdHqwY=w510-h680-no.

And yes, I have the preamp as well as the wireless twice... :roflmao:

gumtown likes this.
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Nice rigs! I found that I preferred the preamp in my Magellan to any in the helix rack and eventually sold it but, Im tempted to get an HX for comp/od/eq, and put the Magellan preamp into an fx block. A wireless, hx and Magellan mounted on a pedal board may be an awesome rig.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Very nice! Dig that setup. Can you control the HX rack with the HX effects??

With just those being powered, I'd check out the Truetone CS7. I have powered my HX off mine and it worked good. But I did have it just shut down on me a couple of times. But I am powering half a board with it. I think you'd be fine.

7. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    What power issue did you have?

I admit I disagree with Greg - I'd go for a GigRig Generator like I did, and grab an Isolator to power the Mesa and Wireless

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was thinking of suggesting that as well but then he’s has a few he wants to run off the supply. But I’m sure that’ll work just as good if not better.

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I solved my expression pedal issues, in 8 minutes for $0. Starting with my Roland EV-5, confirmed that the primary pot is indeed 10k. Bypassed the aux pot, wired the TRS as a TS based on this diagram

989DB823-9285-4928-8F5C-ADAAC24523A4.

My HX now appears to be wholly glitchless for the first time since I’ve owned it. Never mind that the expression pedal issues were of my own doing. Perfect timing for a three day weekend. Pedalflanger funtime.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So whaaaa?? Wonder if there is a way to do this with the Dunlop mini X.....

11. Thank you for your kind words. I'm just used to the Mesa preamp and since I need the wireless anyway and it kind of asks for a rack shelf, I figured I could put the Empress and the preamp as well on it.
    No, these are two setups. The rack unit is controlled by the helix controller with lots of buttons and lots of scribble strips. It's a really great unit.
    I'll look into that CS7 thing. I kind of thought you had trouble too and went back to the original one.
    My power issue is that I don't have a power supply that manages the HX, the wireless (250mA) and the Subway preamp (100mA). Maybe I'll build something to make it look nice. Especially since I fell in love with the look of these black devices.

gregmon79 likes this.
  12. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Same here with my cheap M-Audio EX-P

13. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Sorry - I should have been a bit clearer. The GigRig Generator is a 5A power supply, and you can split it up in a myriad of ways. You'd most likely be able to use the GigRig power system (with a Generator at the heart of it) to power your small board.

The GigRig | Guitar Effects Switching and Modular Power Solutions

14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Has anybody used the HX to create a good HPF like the Broughton?

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. @been_effected Agreed, that's something. However, prices...
    Generator + Distributor + Isolator + Evenflo = roughly 280 Euro (over 320 Dollar). Seems a bit excessive just to power three things.

@smeet
    What is your definition of "good". Steep?
    You could profile the Broughton and make an IR out of it :laugh:

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I asked this very same question other places, and here at one point I think. Just to make a straight HPF/LPF. The answer I kept getting was "sort of". As @aledeville stated above with the "steep" part, there is Low and Hi cuts in several different places in the HX. But as it was explained to me they are more gradual slants as opposed to a steep drop offs. I think I'm remembering that correctly. So yeah, you can set the HX to do the same job, it just won't do quite as efficiently. I think.

I know that was one of my suggestions in that Line 6 site, Idea scale is it? I suggested they put a dedicated HPF and LPF in the HX. Hopefully it'll come someday.

17. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Actually, not quite. From the comments I hear, the Broughton in particular seems to be a bit different from the more clinical HPFs like the fdeck and others. From what I hear (from people I respect, but still could be factually wrong of course), the Broughton is very musical, the filter seems to be designed musically, not quite as steep as some, removes the LF gunk without feeling like your bottom is gone, even when set relatively high. So what I meant was "good like everybody says the Broughton is", whatever that really means. :help:

Haha. It would actually be an interesting experiment to do that and then compare the IR to the real thing. Also you couldn't change the cutoff on the IR.

I guess I'll try to find out what the parameters on the Broughton HPF actually are. Maybe there's some magic faery dust there, or maybe not. I really want to keep the HX as my only effect if I can.

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    I use the HxFx with my double bass and I think the lo cut works fine, I have never used the Broughton HPF, but the Lo Cut is good in the HxFx

19. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Do you know what the slope is on the Lo Cut? I don't believe that the slope completely describes the sound of a filter, but the Broughton is a 12 dB per octave filter.

20. Why a HX unit if you have the rack with same effects?
    Do you use any poweramp or real amp? Or just send the signal to FOH?