1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 HX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    With both filters able to sweep full range, adjustable slope from 6db/oct to 48db/oct, and an adjustment to boost the resonant peak. That would do it.

Diegombass likes this.
  2. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    I don't know what slope is in it, I could check it for you next week. But I think it's a sharp one, at least 12dB...

I would love it!!! And with band reject type

3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I've only used the LPF/HPF block, but it seems to work as advertised, not owned a Broughton myself so I'm probably not the best to comment

4. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah and from that perspective, that's fair enough. If you can keep an eye out used you might be able to get lucky? I know over here (Aus) GigRig parts come up once every couple of weeks, so if I was patient I could build that out for about half the full price.

For reference, I ended up buying a Generator myself and I dedicate it to my HX. Using a Zuma for the rest of my board.

5. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Banned Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    As much as I love the sound and routing flexibility of the HX, it's too much of a deep dive for me ultimately. I need immediate tweaking for live use. I'll be putting it up for sale in the classifieds shortly. Just a heads up in case anyone in here wants an outstanding deal on one of these.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  6. The Helix Rack is my main setup where I use both cabs with two different signals including two DI signals. The HX effects is my small board when I play somewhere without much use of the big setup, in further places where there's not much truck space left and for smaller gigs with other projects. I can use this in places where I don't bring my cabs and sometimes even use the amp that already is onstage.
    I've always had two rigs, one small and one bigger. It's now completely in the hands of Line6 obviously.

7. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    I've compared it to a 12dB and a 18dB per octave filters, and it is exactly in between. I would say that the HxFx Lo Cut/Hi Cut is a 15dB per octave filter.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks!

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I got a POG style patch. I put a pitch whammy and a dual pitch on the same switch. Set the whammy to toe position and set that to +12 and dual pitch, interval 1 to +12 and the 2nd interval to -24. Then just set your mix/blends to whatever to keep your bass in there. Or not. Then I put those two on the same switch and then put them in a parallel path and use the split A/B to blend them. It sounds pretty awesome. Very POG/organ like.

Added a script phaser and and auto swell at the end. Sounds dope. I’m trying to get an “Orion” by Metallica how it sounds in the intro when it fades in. It’s not a dead nuts tone. But it’s in the same realm.

aledeville, Zon master and kringle77 like this.
  10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

A while back, I tried the Line 6 M13 and M9. What I found missing was that most of the effects did not have a wet/dry mix parameter. It was all or nothing and I found I lost a lot of my bass when the effects were on.

With the HX Effects, is there a wet/dry mix parameter? I've tried looking for this info but haven't been able to find this level of detail.

Thanks.

11. Yes - most (all?) effects have an effect level control. Another option is to use stereo paths - throw your effects on path A, leave path B clean and they blend back at the end.

I'm sure there's more tech speak that can relay what I'm saying, but yes - much more clean blend options than the M series.

12. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Dammit, beat me to the punch! :)

In a nutshell, Leon, yes.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You are totally covered on that concern. Low end retention is awesome on the HX. There are a few dirt models that aren’t that great but you can just run it in a parallel path to get the low end back. It’s great.

14. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Awesome. Thx for the replies.

15. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Been seeing this pedal pop up more and more on bass boards. I may have to get one. A friend of mine has one so I might see if I can get it for a few days before I jump in and buy one.

How are the filters on this? Any possibility of getting a Moog MF-101 type sound?

How is the dirt? I saw on the list it has a B7K style dirt. How ‘true’ is that?

I’m assuming the delays, mods, and verbs are the same or better than the m series so no worries there. Mainly just curious about dirt and filters.

Also, any OC-2 like octaver sounds? Not really a deal breaker but the more this can replace the better my odds are of getting it to fit (and to afford it lol)

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can’t say you’d be sold on it completely. I like the filters. Well they’re to good for me. But for filter geeks there could be some room for improvement. The B7K model is an ultra version and it is very, very close to my ear. I am quite pleased with it. Almost all the dirt is boss imo man. There are a few models that lose low end but you can fix that by putting them in parallel paths and blending them. The signal routing on the HX rules.

And as far as I’m concerned the delays and reverbs are great. They sound great. The only think I can’t say the HX does awesome at is the crazier weirder delays or verbs. You want analogue, you want digital, you want spring and tank verbs, they’re there. Some of the delays can get pretty funky in a great way. So I like all them. But you won’t find say something like the DOD rubberneck or something like that. But again, it does have some really cool ones. I feel the areas where it can use some improvement most is in the verbs and pitch shifting. They are good. They don’t blow my hair back overall though. Like the pitch shifting is decent. But it won’t kick your POG or whammy off your board. They didn’t for me anyway. And there is a bass octave modeled off the EBS octo bass from what I understand. And it does sound pretty darn good imo. It’s no OC2, but yeah, to me, it’s good. I like it.

Overall, I like the HX a lot. It’s got a hell of a lot to offer and almost all of it sounds and functions really good. I actually can’t stop playing it haha I’ve played it every day since I got it. Totally worth it to me. And it can only get better with future firmware updates.

Zon master and Guest of Honor like this.
  17. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The Bass Octaver is pretty sweet. The tone and tweakability are excellent, and it tracks to a low E on most of my basses. Not modeled on an oc-2, but really useful for me.

I get great results with the Auto Filter, and I’m a big fan of the wahs. Custom Chrome sounds killer on bass, and you can set it to turn on/off by going in and out of the heel position.

Guest of Honor and gregmon79 like this.
  18. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Neat!

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    For those of you using the auto filter as an envelope filter, care to share your settings?

20. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    And a sound clip?????