1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 HX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 25, 2018.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Of my settings?

2. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Sorry, meant as an add on to your request for settings. If someone can share their settings AND a sound clip....

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Filters - I'll probably not comment, as I'm not much of a filter fiend myself and I haven't used them much. I'm curious about them, to be sure, and I'll spend some time with them eventually, but right now I don't.

Dirts - This is more my area. I've kept my Darkglass Alpha Omega and Vintage Microtubes, but that's because the HX really hasn't been able to get their flavour, and I'm OK with that.

My B7K is gone. My friend and I (and he's a super Darkglass nerd) truthfully couldn't pick the B7K and the HX in a blind test 100% of the time. It's more than accurate enough for me that I'm satisfied I won't miss it.

I've also found that a lot of the "legacy" M-series dirt pedals they've brought forward (I used to have an M9) have been massively improved because of the signal routing options. There's been a few of those models that I'm now actively using, because by blending parallel paths I find the drives usable in a mix.

Delays, Mods, Verbs - I'll echo the others here - the delays and mods were always the strength in the Line 6 range for me and the HX doesn't disappoint. For the kooky stuff (think Strymon), keep the TimeLine, but otherwise the HX has what you need.

The reverb's are nice and lush, but I'm not super into verbs anyway so you may find you prefer your BigSky's etc.

Octaves - Contrary to others, my Nano POG is gone. The tracking for a digital octaver is definitely good enough that I'm happy with the HX, and this was one area that I tested heavily as I wanted the tracking to be good enough to replace my POG. Like with any octave, if you want accurate tracking you must prioritise giving it a clear, consistant signal, so while I say I get good tracking from the HX, my patches have a compressor before the octave block. Helps with reducing unwanted digital artifacts, weirdness with pitch warbling etc.

I've gone and bought a Cog Effects T-16 to nail the more analog, "synth", imperfect octave sound that the OC-2 is known for.

4. Guest of Honor

Guest of Honor

May 2, 2017
    That's my favorite part about the HX!

I agree with gregmon and been_effected's assessment... Everything Helix based is a step up. The M series effects in the HX do sound better. I use the Bass Octaver from M series effects. I think its based on an EBS oct. But, the other HX aficionados can probably provide more specific details on the octaver and filters as the results and use seem to vary. The delays, comps, reverbs are good. Mods like the 70's Chorus, Flangers, and etc. are very good. The drives are seriously good. The B7KU model is impressive. I like being able to load IR's into the HX to use with the drives, mainly the Timmy model. Its great as a MBD-1 type drive. As a plus, I even use the third party IR's for my external drive pedals in the HX fx loop. The routing and signal chain options are great! The workflow feels like a really smart pedalboard that does almost anything. I don't think I wanna imagine being without the HX lol. As a fly rig, the HX on its own is very efficient as well. If you can try one I'd recommend it. Everything I like vs what could be improved is already worth the price.

Zon master, gregmon79 and adamaarts like this.
  5. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Another thing to add, though this is a discovery you'll get when moving to digital multieffects anyway (I used an AxeFX II for many years) - the ability to have different patches opens up a whole bunch of additional possibilities.

So you have two basses that are different? (eg: P bass and you're swapping to a MM). Different outputs, need different EQ, different compressor settings as the MM output is so hot it smashes the compressor setting you've been using for your P?

No worries - copy/paste your old P patch, play with the various patch settings through the MM until you get happy with the tone, save it as a new patch with "MM - (patch name)" as the prefix.

How about practice vs live vs recording? Easy, just adjust your signal routing to suit and save them as separate patches.

I'm even now starting to look at creating patches for myself for when I learn entire albums for fun.
    Being able to recall a patch that has the working tones for a particular album, complete with the right drives and EQ, then switching to another for a different record with a completely different tonal palette...yeah. It's really cool.

And that's even before we start getting into snapshots...

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    As it turns out, I was using the Auto Filter, but I switched to the legacy Tron up. I pulled out my Hx, intent on making a quick demo, and found myself spiraling down the rabbit hole. Three and a half hours later I had to leave for a party and never got to the recording. Sorry.

I found a preset for Bass Pedals, each FS is set for momentary and triggers a different note on the tone generating oscillator. Another preset uses midi to trigger the notes.

Dual pitch is spiffy.

Half the fun of the Hx is how easy it is to use.

Besides, IME, auto filter settings are the least useful to share. A Filter’s responsiveness is so dependent on signal chain, settings rarely translate well.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah, very true. But I dont have a lot of exp with filters and I was hoping to get some shared settings as starting points. I almost have a great one dialed in with the auto filter. But it's still a little wonky. Then I switched to the mutant and got more what I was looking for much faster. And yeah, I like the Tron Up too.

I'm right there with you. Every time I run into a spot where I'm stuck, hit a wall if you will, I just go around or over it. The HX allows you do that. And easily mind you. I play different basses at home all the time and I do the same thing, make certain patches with a bass in mind. Even different tuning ones. It's great to have that ability at your finger tips. And to have it be so simple and easy as well.

8. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Just bass and HxFx.
    Sorry for the noise

Attached Files:

9. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Wait, you worked out how to emulate an EHX Freeze on the HX?!

Settings please!

Zon master and adamaarts like this.
  10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Commercial User

Oct 6, 2015
    Product Manager—Line 6
    Soon.
    Ben Vesco made a chart, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
    Fortunately, modeling isn't an all or nothing proposition. Helix is just as happy as a pedalboard (or part of a larger pedalboard) in front of your friend's Marshall or in 4-Cable Method.
    There's a dedicated HPF/LPF in the EQ category. We call it "Low and High Cut." If you have the space, feel free to run multiple filters in serial and their slopes will get steeper. You can even assign them to the same switch.

gregmon79 and Guest of Honor like this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Cool. Thanks man. I kept getting told it wasn’t quite the same thing. This works though.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Dammit! Why can’t I play these types of attachments anymore. Please share your settings!!

adamaarts likes this.
  13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Agreed. He recently bought the Powercab Plus to go with the Floor and is running stereo with the JCM800. We be havin' some fun now! :bassist:

14. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Ducked delay in path B. Time around 200ms.
    And controlled by expression pedal:
    feedback (0-100)
    Mix (0-60)
    Split A B (B100 - A100)

I've tried with a footswitch instead of the exp pedal, but it doesn't work. When turning the exp pedal too fast, doesn't work very well...
    Enjoy!

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I want to update my HX with the latest firmware but when I open the Line6 Updater and sign in, there is nothing to select. It’s as if the HX is not detected, though it is connected via USB. I also downloaded the latest driver update as per the manual. Anyone else encounter this problem?

16. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I do remember seeing some people having this problem, and ultimately it was because of the order things were done.

I'm assuming you're using Windows here:

1. Uninstall all Line 6 Helix-related software from Control Panel
    2. Disconnect the HX
    3. Install the Windows driver: https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7956
    4. Install Line 6 Updater: https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=8131
    5. (optional at this stage I think?) Install HX Edit: https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=8096
    6. Connect your HX.
    7. Run the Line 6 Updater again. If this doesn't work, also try running Line 6 Updater as an administrator (right click, "Run As Administrator")

Additionally:
    - Sometimes people have reported issues with their USB cables. Keep a spare handy.
    - (PC specific, not laptop related) If you're still having trouble, try using a USB port that is on the back of your computer. This is because a number of white-box PC's that are built use extension cables and other bits and pieces to provide your front-mounted USB ports. Using a USB port on the back that is directly connected to the motherboard can help alleviate this.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Willy B, gregmon79 and Guest of Honor like this.
  17. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    HX edit is not optional in fact if you down HX edit it has all the drivers and everything in one package.

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. Dade8283

Dade8283

Feb 24, 2016
    Sweden
    Has anyone been able to get that light gritty Turbo Rat ”gack” that JC from Tool has with the hx/helix distortions? I tried it with the Vermin but it behaves more like a fuzz for me with my high output L2000, a quite nice fuzz actually, but not really what Im looking for. I need something thats more on the attack of the note.

Sugestions?

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Mess with it more. I've been able to make the rat sound like all sorts of things. Try parallel routing with the AB or Y splitters. That way you'll still get your attack on the note.

20. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    After reading a lot of these posts, I think I might be ready to purge my board and run the HX Effects as a central effects post. When I learned you could load IR cabs on the HX it was a pretty easy decision, as I don't need the amp simulation at all.

I will still run some analogue (tube compressor, tube preamp, fuzz, overdrive, distortion) and unique digital (HOG, Superego, Super Pulsar, Ring Thing) effects on my board and let the HX do the rest; hence not needing the full Helix.