Line 6 HX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, Jan 25, 2018.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just started playing with another band and both guitarists use Line 6. The rhythm uses an older pod and the lead uses a helix floor. It was funny. I popped my board down and both them were like hell yeah, you got the HX haha that helix floor is impressive. I love that big screen. The signal flow looks so cool on it. It’s cool jamming with guys who use that stuff. It sounds great. The older me would’ve been a little snobby about it, line 6, modelers :vomit: haha not now though. I got excited when I saw that stuff.

2. I would 10/10 buy a Helix in an M5 or smaller form factor.

I'm sure someone already mentioned this, but just in-case the Line6 people are counting lol.

smeet likes this.
  3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    uuuuuuuuuuhhhh....that's what the HX is.......just without some of the Helix features and the cab and amp sims....

4. The HX is probably closer to the M9 at 7"x10", the M5 is about half of that. at 6"x6".

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    +1
    For those of us throwing the HX in a gig bag pocket, that would make a big difference. I don't want to lose the buttons and scribble strips though.

Actually what would make a trivial but big difference for me is a nicer form factor for the power supply. I'm afraid to try other power supplies with the HX, but the current one is just so awkward, both in the gig bag and also in the power strip.

kringle77 likes this.
  6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I totally get what you guys are saying. But for me, I look at what they've put in the sized enclosure that they did and it's more than small enough for me. Even the Helix floor isn't bad. I saw one in person last week and its smaller than I thought it would be. I guess I keep the sizes of these units in perspective to what is inside and what they do and what I use them for. Not saying you guys don't. But that's how I am able to look at the HX and appreciate it's form factor in thinking that's its not that big or honky at all in my eyes.

7. Oh yeah, it's not that I don't appreciate what it is either. Honestly for the amount of controls and patching options it has you really need that extra space. It's just that a lot of us already have an M5 because of the smaller form factor and how much value you get for the space it occupies on a board. Currently the only upgrade for this solution is the H9, which is awesome but also pricey. I see the HX series as something that could provide an alternative. Thanks to Line6's manufacturing savvy - probably cheaper too.

8. It's a HX topic but the floor/lt/rack version is the deal.
    I hav e a floor since May... with paid Impulse Responses it's the unit of dreams..
    The amp sims are good since I'm an Ampeg guy and has the svt one. And have Mesa ones... so...
    And the effects are a must.
    I had fractal audio (axe fx2), their Fx8 (effect unit) sold all, got a Kemper (good profiles, but a lack of usable effects). Sold it.
    And finally got the helix floor... :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::hyper::hyper::hyper:
    :thumbsup:

Ikkir, Guest of Honor and gregmon79 like this.
  9. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I followed these steps and after a computer restart the HX was recognized in the L6 Updater. It now has the latest firmware. Thanks!

10. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    No worries, happy to help!

11. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Northern, Oklahoma
    Just stumbled upon this. Its a few days old but it looks like from the beta testing its close to being ready!

Attached Files:

gregmon79 likes this.
  12. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Commercial User

Oct 6, 2015
    Product Manager—Line 6
    Yeah, that's the problem with professional-level solutions with external power supplies. It's not that it's big for big's sake; it's so freakin' big because HX Effects has multiple boards and is designed with higher audio performance (and compliance specs) than your average pedal. Ideally, it'd have an internal power supply with an IEC cable, but that would've blown the footprint (and price) up. We're constantly looking for smaller custom supplies, but so far all of them have resulted in inferior performance.

smeet and gregmon79 like this.
  13. Digital Igloo

Oct 6, 2015
    Product Manager—Line 6
    Most likely next week.

14. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    For both Windows and Mac, I hope?

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Guest of Honor likes this.
  16. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Mesa, Darkglass, EQD, Mantic, Source Audio, Yamaha, Delano, Hamstead Soundworks
    Looking at getting in on the HX Effects - been playing with the HX Native stuff on my computer and have been very impressed. Thinking it could be the perfect hub of an effects system for me.

I have one Question: is it possible to run the 2 inputs as 2 separate signal paths, and also running parallel channels on each signal path? For example, I'm thinking of running the separate "Sub" and "Dry" outputs from a DOD Meatbox or Mantic Density Hulk into the two inputs, and hoping to then treat and effect these two inputs separately (i.e. overdrive & fuzz in parallel on the "dry" channel, with tremolo on the "sub") and output them though the two separate outputs.

Hopefully that makes sense...

17. Digital Igloo

Oct 6, 2015
    Product Manager—Line 6
    Yes.
    Yes, but it's not as obvious as it is on Helix/Rack/LT (by design, as HX Effects is meant to be a simple pedalboard unit).
    1. Press MENU and the the SIGNAL FLOW switch.
    2. Turn the Big Knob to select any processing block and turn Knob 2 (Path) to route it to path "B." This creates parallel paths.
    3. Turn Knob 1 (Move Block) to move the Split block all the way left, before the first processing block. Touch FS3 (Split Y) and set BalncA to "L100" and BalncB to "R100". This will route the left input to Path A (upper) and the right input to Path B (lower).
    4. OPTIONAL: If you also want your outputs completely discrete, turn the Big Knob to select the Mixer block, touch FS2, and turn Knob 2 (Path B Output) to select "Send12." Now Input 1 will be routed through Path A and out the main outputs and Input 2 will be routed through Path B and out Send 1/2.

Guest of Honor and eyvindwa like this.
  18. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Thanks so for such a clear and speedy response. Think one of these will be in my near-future.
    Final question: If I was running two completely discrete paths can I still run parallel chains within each signal path?

19. Digital Igloo

Oct 6, 2015
    Product Manager—Line 6
    Nope—there are two stereo paths total. Helix Floor, Rack/Control, and LT have four stereo paths.

20. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021