1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
  2. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Hey @Digital_Igloo - I read this comment from you in The Gear Page thread about the Stomp.

Could you clarify for me how the Stomp is able to do two independent mono FX loops? I can't quite work it out based on the I/O on the unit, and the manual isn't quite clear either....

Attached Files:

3. I'm not 100% sure exactly how I feel about the release of the Stomp, given the lively debate earlier in the HXFX thread. It's definitely a pretty slick looking piece of kit. But as others have mentioned, this is released only a few short months after the HXFX and makes the HXFX the only Helix family member that doesn't have amps/cabs. I'm still not sure if I'd use the them, but it seems that @ChubbyJerk's earlier point(s) in the other thread gain quite a bit of validation with the release of the Stomp. I also find myself a little puzzled that the price is the same as the HXFX (the M series with the M5 comes to mind).

Maybe I just need to let the idea of the Stomp sink in a bit?

That said, while I won't be rushing out to get a Stomp until/unless the price comes down, I do see some very nice possibilities for the HXS and I'll be keeping an eye on it. It could let me replace my Zoom B3 that I use for PC audio interface/headphone practice at home with a much better sounding box, and it could be quite the handy pocket-sized "fits in my gig bag" pedalboard.

And imagine the possibilities of a couple Stomps in the FX loops of the HX, with MIDI control and a couple expression pedals.

5sg.

Untitled-1.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    Honestly a HX Stomp is everthingii would need at the end of my pedal chain.

I have never been too interested in Line 6 but the size and funcionality/flexibilty of this has me pretty excited. This will be replacing one of my H9's and will take up the cab sim job on my Midi board.

It is really impressive how small they have shrunk this down to.

The HX effects was way too big for me to consider - especially as it did not have cab sim capabilities but the Stomp is the answer to the hole in my board atm.

Well done Line 6

5. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    The more I read, the more I think my HX Effects might go. Not because it doesn't work for me (the sheer signal routing and MIDI functionality available dwarfs what the Stomp can do in comparison), but because if I really drill down to what I *need*, as opposed to what I *might need*, I think the Stomp brings more to the table:

For an AUD$999 unit, it gives:
    - Better amp-less practice, which I currently use an AOU for and have to do some crazy patch routing to change it from headphone amp (at the end of my chain) to an effect (in the middle of my chain). The Stomp can just live at the end of the chain permanently.
    - Direct recording via USB, which negates the need for me to get an audio interface for a while (there's another AUD$400 which I was holding off on spending)

Sure the HXFX has more blocks available, but...what are the majority of my tones/needs? Compressor, drives (most of which are outboard, thanks Darkglass) and maybe the odd octave/chorus/flanger.

Noise gate? There's one on the input of the chain (and I guess I could always add a block at the end if I needed to)
    LPF/HPF? There's Global EQ available on the output of the chain, which is always something I wish the HXFX had and negates the need for another block

MascisMan and Blu bro like this.
  6. I've been telling myself that with the pedals I have I don't need the HX Stomp.

Currently I run an Alpha Omega Ultra, Hyper Luminal, HPF/LPF, Fuzz, Distortion and Chorus.

However the more I think of it the more I am realising that having every other effect I could think of plus amp/cab for FOH would be incredible for live usage instead of buying even more individual pedals. For $999 AUD I can't really fault it, especially when I dropped that on just two Darkglass pedals (give or take).

gregmon79 and Blu bro like this.
  7. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I have ultimately mixed both. The drives in the HX are good. Actually, no, they're great. The B7K emulation was so good that my best friend and I agreed we couldn't tell the difference in an A/B test. Enough that I sold my long-suffering B7K and I haven't missed it. But yeah there's nothing in the box like an AOU, and probably not even a Hyper Luminal without some serious tweaking.

That being said, I ditched all other pedals without an issue - even to the point that my analog octaver is looking like it'll leave the board too.

hintz and Plastalmonus like this.
  8. Tandark

Tandark

Jun 16, 2015
    UK
    For me, I'd absolutely use Stomp in the HX loop connected via midi. Therefore you still have your control center running everything.

9. SirMoak

SirMoak

Jan 6, 2017
    Umm... Just a thought... If you connect multiple of these and expression pedals then what you really get is a Helix LT or Helix with the only difference that this setup costs more and is more cumbersome. :)

Plastalmonus likes this.
  10. ☝︎ However, if your Helix/Helix LT goes down... whereas if one thing goes wrong in the multi setup...

11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    This is the answer for what I have been looking for.
    I've been looking for a multieffects unit that can work well as a stand-alone unit to go direct to the PA if I wanna go ampless.
    I had a B3 and while it was cool I sold it to finance my BB1024x. I recently tried a Boss GT-1B but I didn't bond with it.
    The more I looked the more I felt that what I was looking for was in the high end units, like the Helix but those are above my budget. I thought about the HX but the lack of amp modelling limited how I could use it (although the use of an external preamp in the fx loop could solve this).
    But now this came out. And it's exactly what I'm looking for and it's small enough to fit my gigbag pocket! It's perfect!
    Not cheap but still in my budget.
    I guess I know what will be my christmas gift this year...

12. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I got the shipping notice overnight, so they really are in stock. Should have it next week.

13. SirMoak

SirMoak

Jan 6, 2017
    Each of these units have true bypass. If any go down you can still finish a gig with a clean signal. :)

14. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Earth, Planet
    Line6 is Sneaky Sneaky! Looks like a mini HX/LT/Floor and cool for the price range. A little similar to the Mooer GE200 and HeadRush Gigboard layout though. Wonder why they didn't go with the HX or even Zoom b3n pedalboard platform? I'd thought that'd be the new standard. Anyways, when I wanted amp cab models I simply moved up from a HXFX to the LT and I'm glad I stuck with Helix units. The Helix based amp/cab and effects models are on the level. I'm hoping this now means more bass specific offerings across all devices

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    chupacerveza likes this.
  15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I've wanted a quality M5 for a long time and for me, this is it. Don't care about amp or cab sims. All I want is to be able to pull up a good chorus or flanger or phaser or delay whenever I need that one effect instead of having a huge pedalboard with effects that I'll use on that one song.

16. Precisely my point. :thumbsup:

chupacerveza likes this.
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah don’t get me wrong, I think the stomp is a straight bad a$$ idea and it seems to have been executed with some serious through and engineering. I would love to mess with one, see how easy it would
    Be for me to operate it.

hintz likes this.
  18. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    The power requirements for the HX Stomp appear to be 9V @ 3A, which is not possible for typical ISO power bricks.

Does anyone know if it could operate @ 2A for example and that the 3A is simply an overstatement?

Assuming that 3A is definitely a requirement, does anyone have a picture of the included power supply so that I could gauge if it would fit suspended under my existing pedal board?

Cheers!

19. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Ill have one next week. I owned the helix rack and this stomp is exactly what I wanted. Ive never said that before.

hintz, Frank Ritchotte and Bfieldy like this.
  20. Bfieldy

Bfieldy

Sep 29, 2018
    I'd echo what a few people have said already...this is pretty much exactly what I've been waiting for from Line 6 for years. As someone who's used the M series for a long, long time this Stomp model checks all the boxes for me and then some. I had a chance to play through a Helix a couple months back. I was mostly curious about the amp/cab sims since I already had familiarity with Line 6's effects and I was really impressed. I'm not even a huge amp sim guy but the Helix sounds are quite spectacular. I've been using a Zoom B3n for several months with nice results (it's a very decent unit) but when I can afford the price tag I'll definitely be investing in the Stomp.

Nunovsky and CharlieC like this.