1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Excited about the new Stomp XL! Found this recent video...had to share.

2. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow that is a small footprint! Agree that it is a little funky looking compared to the normal stomp or the bigger Helix units.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    is the Hx Stomp a possible replacement for my Radial Bassbone ? That is to ask, can I have one bass in Left In and another in Right In and assign a footswitch to select either the right or left input and mute the other ?

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Yes, you could for sure do that.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Cool. Now I need to sell off some stuff...

6. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I actually replaced a bassbone with the stomp, and if you use the return for the fx loop, you can actually even use it as an a/b/c for switching between 3 inputs! And more.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    o
    That i so not helping my budgetary restraint... I will need the efx loop for my synth stuff though...

BrentSimons and KJMO like this.
  8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have to say that the 3 switch format and limited knobs for on-the-fly adjustment were what forced my hand with the Stomp. The extra switches is a nice addition IMO. Not sure I'd want to pay the new asking price at the moment, but in all honestly, this makes the Stomp format a lot more appealing for those like me who really dislike 3 button format pedals.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Small size was an important objective for me to buy the HX stomp. That's gone with the LX. If there is just five additional foot switches coming with the LX, I wonder what they used the additional empty space inside the LX for. I was hoping for XLR outs and a battery or rechargeable option. A larger display for an old man with bad eyes like me would have been nice too, but well ... may be next time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Can the stereo efx loop be addressed as two mono loops through configuration or programming via midi ? I see the Y cable ...

Heart of my rig is a C4 and Spectrum and a Future Impact. Having a loop dedicated to Source Audio and another dedicated to the FI might be super cool.

chupacerveza and hbabels like this.
  11. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes the FX Loop can be used as 2 separate mono loops with a TRS to dual TS cable

12. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yes

13. Szaladin

Szaladin

Apr 15, 2020
    Hanover, Germany
    I usually go around 150Hz, but I did not invest too much time into research on that. So far it worked, but that really depends on what tone you want. I guess.

I just want to stress that the Compress/Boost in the low end really depends on attack parameters. It can get 'too whomp-y'. But sometimes that's what one likes.

For some patches I have the distortion/OD/etc on before the split, but with the [MIX] of these things set to 50-70%. That way, you have some clean low end in the mix that is send through the low-path after the Crossover-Split. This works especially well with the Obsidian 7000 block (with Distortion on) of the Helix (which is a copy of the Darkglass B7K).

For other patches, I only place distortion/OD/etc in the high-path after the split. I found that this is working very well with fuzz and the like.

Concerning the Helix Stomp XL, maybe the FAQ from Digital Igloo from TGP might be interesting:

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Stomp in bound. Also parts to make 2 double footswitches. 1 for the stomp, the other for my Soleman midi controller. This should keep me busy for a while.

fivestringgecko, KJMO and MascisMan like this.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Is there a good limiter on the hx stomp ? If so, can I put it on the main outs ?

Diegombass likes this.
  16. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    If you are looking for a "brick wall" limiter, your best bet is going to be the Rochester Comp as it provides ratio settings going all the way up to infinity:1. Also, it is based on the Ashly CLX-52 Compressor/Limiter, which was developed in conjunction with bassist Billy Sheehan. So, you know it has seen bass usage.

The LA Studio Comp has a "Compress/Limit" switch; but, according to the manual for Teletronix LA-2A Leveling Amplifier, this sets the unit to an unspecified "limiting" ratio, which they refer to as ratios of 10:1 or 12:1 and above. The Deluxe Comp and 3-Band Comp models also offer compression ratios in excess of 10:1; but, again, this is not "brick wall" limiting.

Regarding "putting it on the main outs":
    You can certainly place the limiter block as the last block in your signal chain; but, you cannot place it after the Output block.

If your intent is to have a block that will limit all presets to a consistent output level, that's a great concept; but, I don't think it will work like that. Because almost blocks in the HX/Helix have "Level" parameters (including the Output block), signal levels throughout the chain are somewhat "relative". The new "Gain Reduction" meters in the bigger units (and Native) are helpful, but not scientific. And, as everyone correctly cautions, output levels ultimately need to be set at performance volumes in order to account for "perceived" loudness.

Diegombass and 4Mal like this.
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    @Droopy_TX Thanks!

Yeah, I was hoping to place the limiter on the main outs iem style. Guess I'll be burning a bock in each of the patches I setup- or at least the synth oriented ones. I don't see myself with too many patches though. So probably not a real hardship.

FWIW - I couldn't care less about the meter thing. In my time at FOH, I often set a comp blind, staring at the band hands on threshold and / or makeup...

Stomp arrives Monday so i'm back to reading the manual and watching midi controller vids ;-)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  18. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    FWIW, I just started using a Disaster Area MIDI Baby 3 and really like it. Set up was a snap with their software/guides/YouTube.

EdO. likes this.
  19. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You could utilize the split paths so that the send to in-ears has the limiter and the send to an amp doesn't. But beware you could run into ground noise issues.

20. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    Hey all,

Does anyone have any good pointers for getting the bass tone that's used on Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal, on the HX Stomp? It almost sounds like a double bass but not quite...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021