1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. F615F79A-8518-4ABC-87E1-9661C3BFCB38.jpeg 19A14B39-6F4F-4DEB-B3FD-3A30F247C01D.jpeg Battery powered stomp on a Pedaltrain Nano.
    Mosky dual and Switchcraft passive DI with -20db switch and ground lift. Mission Engineering 529M converting battery power. 30,000MaH RAVPower battery.
    This has been tested for hours at home, as well as at band rehearsals. I’m loving it!

2. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    That's the features I was missing from Line6 for the HX Stomp XL; rechargeable option and XLR Out.

3. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I added a master bypass switch to my Stomp board to give myself an easy way back to my clean amp tone.

I was surprised at how much the tone changed between bypassing the Stomp and just running my signal through a preset with no blocks enabled. I assume the input impedance setting of the preset has a lot to do with it; I may have to experiment a bit more with that. On a positive note, the tonal change between bypassing the Stomp entirely and putting the Stomp in analog bypass mode is almost unnoticable when running into an amp. However, for recording, my plugins respond very differently, so it's obvious that the output impedance of a bypassed Stomp is very different from the "pure" bass signal. Definitely not true bypass.

The switch is a nice added feature for a Stomp-based pedalboard though. It also serves as a panic button, in case anything unforeseen happens with the Stomp. I can instantly jump back to my amp tone, even if my board loses power or the Stomp completely crashes on me.

2021-01-26 09.38.54 (Custom).jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  4. Brodizzle

Brodizzle

Nov 23, 2017
    Looks awesome! I’m running something similar. How much battery life do you get per session?

5. I haven't found out yet, but I can tell you that it's more than 5 hours. I had a 5 hour practice session last week, and the battery was doing just fine. This thing is a BEAST! I couldn't take it in carry-on luggage on a plane, but I'm not doing fly-in gigs now. 30,000MaH is really quite the safety net. I believe it's also capable of running 9volts at 3amps, so the stomp is very satisfied. I think it probably helps that the stomp is the only thing that takes power on my board too.

chupacerveza likes this.
  6. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Spain
  7. Low Down Brown likes this.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Is anyone loving an Upright Bass IR in their HXS ? I see a couple of them out there and was thinking about it for use with my fretless ABG and fretless P.

fivestringgecko likes this.
  9. Very much so, and have gotten some quite positive comments from fellow band members.

The only upright IRs I've seen are from 3Sigma... I've got the Prescott, Hawk, German and Mod IRs. They all sound good, but I think the Mod is my favorite.

I posted some info in the NXT Megathread in post #1303, a dropbox link with more #1304, a sample with a drum track (post #1527). I used the Prescott IR for the session in the Youtube link below.

I got the Mod Bass IR only about a month ago, so I've also done a quick audio comparison of the upright IRs that includes the new IR in the toolbox. Here you go!

Recording setup: NXTa > Stomp (compression, IR with high cut set at 3kHz) > Cubase LE

These are all the #3 variants of their IRs, recorded with the Audio Technica ATM 250DE microphone (one of 5 mic choices for each IR).

5sg.

Sample 1: Dry NXTa only
    Sample 2: 3Sigma Prescott IR
    Sample 3: 3Sigma The Hawk IR
    Sample 4: 3Sigma German IR
    Sample 5: 3Sigma Mod Bass IR

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Bryan R. Tyler and Jesuguru like this.
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The German has a certain appeal, Seems to have a touch more bloom ? or maybe it's boomier overall ? I think that one is my choice. Mod would be my second as it seems maybe more scooped or maybe it's more crisp.

I need to listen on better playback gear but in comparison to the dry track I can see that I'll need to give that a shot soon. I think with my ABG it should be a real improvement in it's 'acousticality'.

11. I've found that I like them all quite a bit, but pretty much settled on the Prescott IR in the mix up until now. I'm liking the more modern sound of of the Mod Bass IR, but haven't had a chance to try it in a live mix yet to compare. Hopefully soon...?

Something to also check out is that all these IRs come in various flavors... Each one was recorded with 5 different mics, and each mic has an A/B/C variation for low end response. Each mic has an impact on sound of course... I prefer mic #3, but you might like one of the others better. I've also found it handy to keep all three low end variations loaded on my Stomp so I can "EQ to the room" so to speak.

Here's the info sheet from the 3Sigma German for more info!

5sg.

German Bass Manual.jpg

jasonmitsch and Low Down Brown like this.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    good intel! 'm looking forward to getting started with the HXS next week. I'll likely grab Prescott and German to get started. I have a bunch a band tracking from the 2019 live season. Plenty of acoustic in our sets. I'll probably start by reamping some of that and maybe re-tracking the bass parts I have forgotten by now ;-)

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Got started today. I'm having some strange level issues with my Future Impact in the Left Efx Loop. Oddly my C4 seems to be behaving in the Right.

On the HX Efx send, Tip goes to left and Sleeve goes to right?

I'll try them both in the right after I get dinner on the table and dishes cleaned ... (me house boy, you Jane given my lack of work at the moment...)

14. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ring goes to right. Sleeve is ground

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Cool, thanks. That is the way I understood it. Got my tip and sleeve reversed in my description...

16. Here’s how I think I would like to set up my stomp. I would like to have footswitches 1 as a bank up and switch 2 as bank down. I’m fine with keeping switch 3 as a tap tempo. Is this doable or can anyone recommend a better way?

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    So I'm super new to the HX 1 day into programming... I'm adding an external 2 button box so I can step up/down through the presets and up/down through the snapshots. In my case, Snapshot 1 will be the Stomp alone, 2 will be efx loop 1 (left), 2 will be efx loop 2 (right).

That is using the Stomp alone.

I intend on migrating to a setup more integrated with my Source Audio stuff. Soleman controller, hub, C4, EQ2... In that case, the stuff in my stomp efx loops (C4, Future Impact) will be managed by the SA controller. Stomp distortion, modulation and reverb will be selected by the controller as well. The on board stomp buttons will turn the stomp efx on off and the external will be list up/down on the SA controller. At least that is how I have envisioned it...

18. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could possibly help me out with my switch issue - I can't get the left switch to do anything...

I was previously using the Mosky tap switch (one switch) and had it set to scroll through Stomp modes. I recently bought a Mosky dual switch (two switches), but only the right switch does anything. I literally can't figure out why, I've changed the settings on the Stomp to no avail... I haven't changed the setup from when I was using the single tap switch.

Attached Files:

19. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Are you using a TRS cable or TS? I think it is supposed to be a TRS. Disregard, I see you are using a Y cable of sorts.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You are only going to get 1 switch functioning on just the ring side of the jack.

Your expression should probably be coming in via midi

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    MascisMan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021