1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. murmur70

murmur70 Supporting Member

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I don't think you can use the expression pedal and the 2 switch. You can use the expression pedal and the single switch or the 2 switch not both.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Is anyone running their stomp using a Ciocks dc ? If so, what cable do I need ?

Same qestion for an old Dunlop DC-Brick ...

3. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Yes, this is doable. Check out Page 12 of the latest HX Stomp manual for the 4 modes (Stomp / Scroll / Preset / Snapshot) of the Play View screen. What you are describing is Scroll mode. Pressing FS1 or FS2 allows you to move up and down Presets or Snapshots. Pressing and holding both FS1 and FS2 together switches whether you selecting Presets or Snapshots. If FS3 is set to Tap/Tuner, it will still show as Tap/Tuner.

I’m not suggesting this is a “better” way; but I use a Mosky 2-button unit to add FS4 and FS5. I set FS4 to change between Play View modes in order to change presets or snapshots. I then use all 3 onboard switches as stomps, and set FS5 to tap/tuner.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    chupacerveza and loveandbass like this.

4. Awesome! I appreciate the additional better way as well. I do want to add a foot switch to do that method at some point

5. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    I'm just using a Y-cable so I can connect both the expression pedal and switch. My expression pedal doesn't have a midi port

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Seems like maybe you are attempting to put three devices, expr pedal and 2 switches where only 2 devices are supported. Because you have a C4, you should probably think about a neuro hub. That has expression input and will pass commands through to the C4.

I'll know more about that setup soon as I want expression and the two additional footswitches.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Was that a special cable you used ? I have a couple that are 2 rca to 1 barrel in my cioks kit but the barrel seems to be too small...

8. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That's because the power input on the Line 6 Helix-family pedals are 2.5mm barrel instead of the standard 2.1mm. They do that intentionally to discourage the average user from using 3rd party power supplies (even though it's perfectly doable). It's also cause the included power supply is the same across all the devices, cheaper for distribution, etc.

NOTE the polarity isn't flipped like older Line 6 pedals, such as the DL4. Stomp is still center negative.

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    You need a special adapter cable - it's the yellow one from CIOKS if I remember correctly.

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    looks like my dc-10 might not have the output necessary anyway. Maybe a dc-7 in my future.

11. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Which Cioks DC? The new generations will run the Stomp with a current doubler cable and a 2.1-2.5mm converter. But the older DC10 and DC5 supplies will not be able to power the Stomp at all.

Same goes for the Dunlop DC Brick, it does not provide enough power. Also, it isn't isolated, so if you plan on powering other pedals with it you will almost certainly get noise issues. The Stomp does not like being daisy-chained.

Edit: Didn't notice this had already been answered, but I'll leave it here anyway.

12. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    You can't use a dual switch and an expression pedal at the same time. The dual switch requires both tip and ring to work.

You can have either:
    - Two expression pedals and no switches
    - One expression pedal and one single switch
    - A dual switch and no expression pedal

Anything more than that, and you'll need MIDI.

I use a dual switch connected to the HX Stomp, and then I have a Disaster Area DMC.Micro as my MIDI Controller, and the DMC.Micro also serves as an expression pedal host. Definitely a great compact setup.

ReeV0 likes this.
  13. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    Ah ok thanks, that makes sense

14. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Today's church service. Chain is JM4 > Photon Death Ray > Stomp (w/MIDI Baby 3)> Studio One DI.

20210207_125920.jpg

The Stomp chain was like so:

HPF/LPF > Simple Pitch > Split Crossover > A. No blocks B. Vermin Distortion > HPF/LPF > Split returns to A > Mod/Chorus Echo > Plate Reverb > Fullerton Nrm Amp > HPF/LPF

Some notes:
    1. I ran a Snapshots + Stomp combo with the MIDI controller today. Here are the three Snapshots:
    1. Clean - HPF (40) > Crossover Split OFF > Fullerton Nrm Amp > HPF (60)/LPF (8k)
    2. Overdrive - HPF (40) > Crossover Split (1kHz) > A. Clean bass (no blocks)/B. Vermin Distortion + HPF (7.5k) > Split returns to A > Fullerton Nrm Amp > HPF (50)/LPF (8k) block
    3. Octave - HPF (40) > Simple Pitch > Crossover Split OFF > Fullerton Nrm Amp > HPF (60)/LPF (8k)
    2. On the MIDI Baby 3 I have two buttons assigned as FS4 (Plate Reverb - orange) and FS5 (Mod/Chorus Echo - silver) with the third (red) button assigned as the tuner. The Left and Rights (FS4/5) are also programmed with long presses to switch between Preset Up/Down and Snapshots modes.
    3. The Fullerton Nrm amp block is set up the same as the "tube DI" conversation a few pages back with the only adjustment being the Gain upped to 1.9.
    4. The S1 DI is running its EQ flat with light HPF (around 60Hzish?)/LPF (around 8kHzish?) filtering. Don't be confused by the "Freq" knob. It is doing nothing since the Mid knob is at noon.
    5. On the choruses of the first song (Glorious Day) is where you can hear Snapshot 2 with the Vermin Distortion.
    6. On the choruses of the final song (Whole Heart - 45:23) is where you can hear the octave snapshot. I'm running a pretty subtle 35% Simple Pitch mix.
    7. I used the Plate Reverb (FS4) here and there today, to taste. Usually during quieter parts when I'm palm muting a bit just to fill empty space.
    8. I'm running both pickups all the way up with the tone all the way open.

I'll try to upload the .hlx file later for those interested.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Adee and 1983L2000 like this.
  15. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    Very nice. Gotta love the Fullerton. Can you share your midi baby file too? Thanks :)

MascisMan likes this.
  16. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Or you should be able to use a Mission Engineering Expressionator, which looks like it could handle the pedal and switch and still allow your pedal to connect to one additional device. I haven't tried that, yet, but I plan to.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  17. murmur70

murmur70 Supporting Member

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I have a question. I am running Dr. Tone's Geddy patch and I want to insert a volume pedal into the chain so I can do swells. No matter where I put it, it doesn't seem to work. I get no volume changes. I have created my own patches with a volume pedal that work fine. Any advice?
    Thanks!

18. Link: ?

MascisMan likes this.
  19. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    just google the keywords listed...
    (macrumors just had one as their giveaway prize two weeks ago.)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021