1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I scratch built a dual footswitch this evening. Easy, peasy. However it seems like only the Ring side works. I checked continuity and the switch is wired correctly. Stupid simple wiring ... I have button 4 as preset DN and 5 as Preset Up. I only get the side wired to ring which I think is button 4 working though.

So I tested using a TRS cable and jumping sleeve to ring - cool that works. Tip however does not. Cable tests as good. T to T, R to R, S to S ...

I just used the Global Settings Button menu to set the functions for Button 4 and Button 5. Is there some other configuration parameter I have to set ? Do I need to somehow turn off Expr 1 and 2 ?

I'm also having some whack with the TRS Efx loop. Only one side seems reliable there so effectively I only have 1 loop. I can function like that but it would be nice if this beast worked as advertised.

2. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Apologies for the stupid question, but you know the FX loop return isn't TRS, right?

There are settings for tip and ring polarity; you might want to check those. I have a pretty standard aux switch and both ring and tip polarity are set to "Normal".

chupacerveza and EdO. like this.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Thanks !
    yep. I built a TRS to dual TS for the efx loop. I'm using an off the shelf TRS to TRS for the switch. I'll build a specific length version when I get this worked out.

Where are those polarity settings ? I would guess in Global but I do not recall seeing them. First thing I did with the a stomp was the firmware upgrade. I assume that all settings would be factory default after that.

4. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Yeah, updating will reset your factory settings. That's why you're prompted to back up your Stomp before the update, and then reload after the update is complete; because that will set your global settings back to where they were.

The polarity settings are under Global -> Preferences, on page 2 and 3.

5. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Beginner questions about the HX Stomp. I'm new to effects but I am sold on the versatility of this multi-effects unit.
    Question 1. How much does the clean tone of my bass matter with these effects? For example, can you change the tone so much that a jazz could sound like a P? Or is it worth having an expensive bass with a great natural tone if this can just make it sound better or on par with other bass's that sound better?

Question 2. With only 3 stomp buttons is it easy to save favorites and navigate between them? Or to add multiple effects? Like button 1 is tone presets, button 2 is a looper, button 3 is distortion or fuzz or something that I can switch on and off.

Question 3. Let's say I want to use a looper but I have used up all 3 buttons with other effects can I play a looper, play what I want to loop, then switch to a different favorite preset with all 3 buttons used (not including a looper) Is something like that possible? Or do I have to have the looper programmed as one of the 3 buttons?

Thank you!

6. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Your bass will sound like your bass. The HX Stomp is no different than using an amp with effects in front. If you have a crap bass, it will sound like a crap bass through a good amp.

Note: There are impulse responses out there that claim to alter the sound of a guitar or bass to sound like something else, for example an upright or a banjo. These work, to a certain extent, and can be loaded into the Stomp, but I would not recommend trying to use them to "mask" the sound of a bass permanently. They're effects that you can call up if you need them for a section of a song, not as a permanent thing.

Yes, you can set it up like that, but if you want to also switch presets or snapshots, and maybe also use the tuner or tap tempo, I *really* recommend getting at least a dual aux switch to give you two extra switches. A MIDI controller will give you even more flexibility.

No. To use a looper you need to have it assigned to a switch. You can change presets while the looper is playing, but the new preset also needs to have a looper loaded.

The HX Stomp looper is a fun little gadget, but it's pretty limited compared to dedicated loop pedals. If you really want to use looping actively, I'd recommend getting a "real" looper pedal, like TC Electronic Ditto or a Boss RC-1. The Helix looper is limited to 60 seconds (30 in stereo), and you can only undo a single track. The loop will also disappear if you switch to a preset that doesn't have a looper, or if you turn off the Stomp. It's really annoying to lose your loop that you've jammed on for half an hour just because you switched to the wrong preset.

chupacerveza likes this.
  7. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Thank you!!! One last follow up. Could I have Switch 1 be something ambient sounding with amps and cabs, switch 2 be something completely different like distortion or fuzz with different amps and cabs, and switch 3 be my looper?

8. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yes....to an extent. If you have a Preset with multiple amps and cabs you could use the Snapshots feature to switch between different combinations with a single footswitch, however, multiple amps will consume a lot of DSP (as will a lot of modulation), so it would depend on how many combinations you were really thinking about and what effects you would have in your preset in addition to the amps/cabs. Only 8 blocks to play with per preset.

Another way to do it would be to set up multiple Presets with the different amp/cab/effects combinations you like and use an external Footswitch or MIDI Controller to cycle through Presets. Then within each Preset you could use either Stomp mode or Snapshot mode depending on your needs. This gets you around the potential DSP wall.

Here is my current set up:

20210207_125920.jpg

The MIDI Baby 3 is a MIDI Controller I have connected to the Stomp. Essentially it is just an "intelligent" footswitch that tells the Stomp to do specific things. It lets you do more than a standard 2 button external footswitch and can be custom programmed to fit whatever scenario you need. My MIDI Baby is set up like this:

Silver button - Short foot press - Delay (or FS5). Long hold foot press - switch to Scroll mode (allowing me to scroll between presets)

Red button - Short foot press - Tuner

Orange button - Short foot press - Reverb (or FS4). Long hold foot press - switch to Snapshots mode.

So between the long presses on the silver and orange buttons I can switch back and forth between Scroll and Snapshot modes. Then I use the short presses on all three buttons for stomp footswitches in addition to the 3 (FS 1-3) that are already on board the unit. Essentially my Stomp now has 6 footswitches, 2 of which I can long press to change modes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Thanks again! I'll have a look.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That did it. My 2 button box is now up and down through the presets!

Now for the efx loop.

chupacerveza and Naigewron like this.
  11. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Make sure you add a stereo FX loop block if you want to use stereo effects. It's easy to forget, since mono is the default selection.

Edit: Actually, you wanted to use two loops, didn't you? Never tried to do that, so not sure what could go wrong there. Maybe some sort of panning issue in the preset?

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep I wanted a dedicated loop for my C4 and Spectrum and one for my Future Impact.

I don't really need it though as they are all under midi control. They can all live in one loop easily. That said, I like things to be technically correct ...

13. I’ve been using two loops before, just put up two fx blocks. Fx loop left and fx loop right. Split cable from send, usual ts cables from each effect and back into each return on the stomp. Can’t remember what else could go wrong.

14. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Couple more questions! Any difference between PAssive vs Active instruments using the HX Stomp? For instance I hear that some effects don't always play nice with active instruments but than some passive instruments have lower outputs etc.. Curious how the stomp plays with these.

And, Lets say I want to play through my Amp/Cab but use the HX Stomp. Can I also use Amp/Cab sims? Or will that muddy the sound?

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    @Basssist1122
    Here is a non-HX thought. I'm integrating the HX into a mostly Source Audio rig. Plus a Future Impact. My chain starts with an SA EQ2. I'm using a Source Audio controller and USB/Midi hub. I have midi macro's created for preset switching on the EQ2.
    Preset 1 is for my passive 5 string. It incorporates an HPF, a couple of minor Eq adjustments and overall about 5 db clean boost.

Preset 2 is for a louder bass. Same HPF and eq adjustments but unity gain.

Note that the EQ2 has a volume control on it so if I over shot the gain increase, I can back it down, or increase it on the fly. I can then press and hold the preset button on the EQ2 and make the change persist.

I'm now working on a Tuner macro.

Overall, I am attempting to essentially replace the functionality I used in radial Bassbone with the EQ2.

The presets are midi CC based. I have not begun investigating the HX Command Center but I'd guess it can send CC on a midi channel which in essence means that the EQ2 could be controlled by the HX as well... I have different plans for HX Command center but need to investigate it further.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  16. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I have no issues jumping between active an passive.

If you run a "real" amp, you don't want to use cab sims, for sure. You may get away with amp sims, but your mileage may vary. Experiment and see what's right for you.

You can also run the HX Stomp into the FX return of an amp, and run it as a preamp.

I use the HX Stomp in front of an amp, and run it as an effects platform - Basically treating it like a normal pedalboard. Works great!

chupacerveza and Low Down Brown like this.
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    @Naigewron Prior to Covid, and hopefully post ... I play in a quick change environment. Band leaders in both my settings will call tunes off the top of their head. No fixed setlist. These guys like to read a room and go. I may need a 4, maybe fretless, maybe a 5 ... So I need to pickup a bass, step on a switch and be ready to launch - while consuming 1 line to FOH ... Gain balancing my basses at soundcheck is a critical need for me ... other wise the FOH guy is having to ride the bass fader all night and that means he isn't exclusively focused on the more important stuff like vocals. So I can relate to @Basssist1122 requirements.

A think he could accomplish this on the HX using the Left and Right Inputs and some HX wizardry as a possibility though. Might burn a block or two doing that ...

18. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    I've read a few times not to use the amp & cab sims when using a real amp, but I've had good experience doing so. Using an amp sim adds more depth and character to the tone, but is often very harsh so putting a cab sim after it softens it up, and sounds great out of my physical amp/cab.

19. i use the eq2 first in chain too, and for similar reasons. Change eq and volume between instruments and hpf before it hits the compressor. And while i could do the same on the stomp, it’s just easier this way. Havn’t dived into sending midi msg into the eq2, only tested through command center and it worked fine.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    CC 104, EQ2 midi channel value, 0 selects Input 1
    CC 104, EQ2 midi channel value, 1 selects input 2

and so on

Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021