Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Where did you find the flat settings? Not finding it on his website.

2. I attached those to my earlier post, but I see you've got some additional notes there... Are those personal settings that you use? I've always just used the HPF in the Global EQ settings (set at 31Hz since I play 5'ers almost exclusively), rather than program an additional block space. Kind of a habit from "the old days" when we only had 6 blocks, but it's always worked really well so I just stuck with it and never tried a HPF in the signal chain.

That's what we're talking about (the charts with the balanced Amp settings), but he's got them in the Guides section under Balanced EQ. (But the charts aren't currently showing up... He may have just forgot to link to them when he updated his website).

To me it would make more sense in the EQ Settings section, but... *shrug.*

5sg.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  3. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Then there may be a misunderstanding. The two sets of charts posted do not match. Further, the Balanced EQ settings are not flat. They are matched in EQ and level but there is a slight mid dip. It is also necessary to use his lpf and hpf settings for them to be "balanced" or the hi and low ends don't match.

As stated above, it is browser dependent.

4. Exactly, two different charts from him, balanced and flat. He posted the flat charts on facebook.

fivestringgecko and JKos like this.
  5. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for posting these. Very interesting to check out. I agree I love the bass amp modes in the Helix they’re the best I’ve heard but I agree stick they’re all a bit too gainy

6. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    How annoying that he posts stuff on Facebook but not his website. Not everyone uses Facebook.

EDIT: Later in the thread, you'll find out that Stef created and runs the website, not Jon Willis himself. Stef transfers info from Jon's Facebook posts to the website.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2021
  7. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Does anyone know how to counteract a volume jump when using parallel paths? I'm trying to setup just a fuzz on path two to act as a psuedo mix control, as none of the fuzz pedals have a blend/mix control. However, when I have the fuzz bypassed, I'm getting a large volume jump, presumably because its summing the clean signal from both paths 1 and 2 before sending the signal to my amp model.

I think the easy way to fix it would be to make a volume block occur after words and set up a snapshot so when the fuzz is off the second path is disabled, but I'm trying to keep all of my effects within stomp mode if possible, so I would like to avoid snapshots if possible. I'm guessing I just need to do something like reducing the volume of each path so that the sum of the parallel paths decibels equals the original single path decibels, but I'm unsure how how to calculate how much the sum is increasing the volume by. Does anyone know how much it gets boosted by off the top of their head? Or have any tips for how I could calculate this?

MascisMan likes this.
  8. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Where the two paths connect (back on the primary) there is a junction that allows you to adjust levels of each path.

If you are running the fuzz path in a truly parallel path (to a separate output and not back to the primary path) you should be able to adjust its level at the end of the path. You could also add a volume/gain/EQ block after the fuzz but before the output and adjust using that.

I usually just adjust using my ears. Not sure how to math it out.

GitmoMango and Challanger2 like this.
  9. +1, I missed the Facebook post as well! I'll have to go look for it.

EDIT: It's a closed group, so I requested to join... but I can't really stand facebook, so I guess I'll just save the "Flat settings" charts from @Mr. voodoobass. :thumbsup:

5sg.

MascisMan and Mr. voodoobass like this.
  10. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Sorry, not truly parallel, its doing parallel for just the fuzz and getting merged back in prior to the amp. If it doesn't go through the IR it sounds like absolute ass.

MascisMan likes this.
  11. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks!!!!

So these are the “flat settings”?

Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  12. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah then you can adjust the levels of both paths at the junction where they reconnect.

If the fuzz is too fizzy/hot/aggressive, try a HPF/LPF block after the fuzz (maybe try the LPF around 5.5k?). You may like it better than the IR and it takes up less DSP.

13. Floral Toess

Floral Toess

Nov 9, 2015
    Brisbane
    Hey Guys,

I'm the developer of the drtonelab.com website.

Happy to look at browser issues for you guys or answer what I can about the site.

Is this the best place or should a new post/thread started? Let me know best practice as it's been a while since I was on here.

In saying that, I'd like to jump on the cross browser issues first. Am I correct in assuming that this is the page in question Balanced EQ - Dr Tone Helix Bass Lab ?

Cheers

Stef

14. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Hi Stef,
    Welcome to the thread! Thank you for all your work getting the HX amps worked out and sharing your settings!

As to browser issues, yeah, go to your site with Chrome, IE, Edge, and Firefox. Some show your PDFs, some don't. For example, here it is in Firefox.
    Screenshot_20210511-222618.png
    And, here it is in Chrome.
    Screenshot_20210511-222700.png

15. Floral Toess

Floral Toess

Nov 9, 2015
    Brisbane
    Dude, thats all Jon Willis. I take no credit for content, I just put on the website what he throws out on fb.

I developed the website originally to make it easier for me to find his presets. It just grew from there.

Thanks for those screenshots. Will get back to you.

Cheers

Stef

Ricky Caboverde and chupacerveza like this.
  16. Floral Toess

Floral Toess

Nov 9, 2015
    Brisbane
    Ok, can you refresh your browser for me. If on mobile you may have to restart it.

Do they show up now?

Thx

Stef

17. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Oh... Can't keep names straight.
    Yes, at least now in Chrome in Android. Not near my laptop to check others.

Thank you!

chupacerveza and Floral Toess like this.
  18. Poke

Poke Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    That fixed it for me. I am also using Chrome in Android.

Thanks!

Floral Toess likes this.
  19. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Soooooo......Can somebody (@JKos, @fivestringgecko) clarify for me as there seem to be different settings floating around: Are the “balanced” eq settings the “flat” settings? And are the settings below in the post the flat settings?

I like to start from flat whenever possible. It just makes it easier for me to eq.

Thanks!—The Ol’ DG

20. Floral Toess

Floral Toess

Nov 9, 2015
    Brisbane
    No , they are two different settings. Balanced are on the website. I havent uploaded the flat ones yet.

Stay tuned.

Thx

Stef

chupacerveza, MascisMan and old_skool like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021