Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by been_effected, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I do the same exact thing. Then I realize for the size of 3 standard pedals I can do pretty much everything those 3 pedals can do and so much more.

Low Down Brown and Naigewron like this.
  2. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    You can also use a split path, pan the amp to L and the clean path to R. Use the main L (dirty) R (clean) outputs on the Helix.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Ok. I’ve watched a handful of videos on this and I can’t seem to get this right.

I’m trying to create a Pitchfork setting. I’d like the ability to have a foot switch, in snapshot mode, activate an octave up effect. The foot switch would be unlatching/momentary. In other words press > octave up, releasing returns to normal.

I know this is possible, I’ve seen it done in videos. But for the life of me I can’t get it to work.

4. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Post some screenshots of your footswitch settings/config

5. Yesterday it was my second gig with the HX Stomp. An acoustic gig this time. I used my Jack Casady with flats and I wanted a B15 vibe. I made my own preset, but I wasn't 100% sure I liked it. I finally downloaded the SVT Super studio in the Dr Tone Labs website

SVT Super Studio

I switched the SVT amp to the B15 and made a few adjustments. It sounded incredibly good. The tone was just exactly what I wanted. However, I have to say that it's a 6-block preset for a clean sound. My original preset for clean was just 4 blocks (Comp, Little overdrive with a crossover, Amp and IR). How do you guys create a "clean" patch?

MattyMcMattface likes this.
  6. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    There are several of the Fender-based guitar combo preamps that sound great with bass - just run them into a bass cab IR

I found this out when I downloaded an Alembic F2-B preset, and it used the preamp of a Fender Deluxe (or something like that).

Also, the tilt EQ is a low-bandwidth way to emulate speaker voicing - not nearly as detailed as the cab IRs, but uses a lot less processing power

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    javi_bassist likes this.
  7. Szaladin

Szaladin

Apr 15, 2020
    Hanover, Germany
    I also use Comp, Preamp (with Dist, if desired, the Obsidian has a switch-able distortion that I like), Amp+Cab.

I save a block by not using an IR or seperate Cab. Also I am not using a volume because I controll the output via MIDI-pedal in the output block. Noise gate is no extra block because I use the gate inside the input block.

So that leaves me with:

::In (+gate)
    -> comp
    -> preamp (with optional distortion)
    -> [FX in front of amp, possibly with crossover]
    -> amp+cab
    -> [post-amp FX]
    -> optional EQ or more FX
    ::Output (+volume control)

A clean patch would end up with 3-4 blocks, with the same amount of blocks for a distortion (the obsidian distortion is kind of specific, though).

That leaves space for some EQing and FX. :)

javi_bassist likes this.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A3AFDE9D-3E79-4F33-A9AA-D1880A9A27EC.jpeg
    Latest incarnation. Getting closer. Wishing I could get a decent clavinet out of the C4 to ride on top of a sweet moog'like thing I get from the FI. C4 and FI live in the Stomp EFX loops.
    Bassbone is back as my 2 basses into 1 input solution.
    PolyTune3 Mini is just a kick butt tuner / mute solution.
    The MC6-2.. killer. Home made dual footswitch for bank up/down.

The hub will go under the board when I'm finally done- if the C4 stays. On the fence there.
    A pair of FI's might be a better bet for me.

Oh right the Nemesis... is actually dedicated to PA. It's pristine audio quality is perfect for having a couple of nice options at my feet. I have a sub group(aux mix) for things needing quick on/off echo on a footswitch. Dub style delay on a snare, hanging echo on a lead vocal with a sudden end... crazy hard to pull off when mixing from stage. I just setup the aux mix for the upcoming tune, then we launch... and hopefully my foot is accurate.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Hi everyone. Hoping you can help shed some light on what I'm trying to do here as I'm at a total loss.

I recently picked up a MorningStar MC6. I've watched their YouTube videos (a number of times) and other various tutorials. I'm really pleased with the unit thus far but I'm having some difficulty achieving what I'd like to do.

In a nut shell, I'd like to use the MC6 to turn on and off various effects blocks.

Currently, and for the sake of simplicity, I'm dealing with two presets.

Preset A: I'm using foot switches D, E, and F on the MC6 to toggle on a volume, wah, or whammy pedal, respectively. I'm able to turn all of these on or off when on Preset A.

Preset B: Foot switches D, E, and F toggle on phaser, flanger, and delay, respectively.
    I'm able to turn all of these on or off when on Preset B.

The problem is when I scroll between presets, either on the HX itself or when using FS 4/5 the MC6 doesn't change with it.

Put another way, when on 'Preset A' I scroll to 'Preset B' the MC6's screen still displays 'Preset A's settings. The foot switches wont toggle any blocks on or off.

If I manually change banks using the MC6 (by pressing A+B, or B+C) the MC does bank between 'Preset A' and 'Preset B' and displays the appropriate effects on the appropriate foot switches...but the presets no on the HX don't change with it.

Admittedly I'm a midi newb. I've searched high and low for how to accomplish what I'm trying to do but to no avail. I'm sure this is an easy fix for someone that knows what they're doing. Also, I appreciate how difficult this must be to interpret as it is equally hard to put into words on this end. I'm sure a video chat would much easier.

I'd be forever indebted to anyone that would be willing to hold my hand through this.

Thank you, Obi Wan.

jaysbassspace likes this.
  10. Abe-of-Bass

Abe-of-Bass

May 4, 2016
    Oregon
  11. jaysbassspace

jaysbassspace Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoboken, NJ
    I am using the MC6 with the stomp and am using it the exact same way. I watched this video and was able to get two way communication going for a little while (meaning when I changed a bank on the stomp the mc6 changed) but it has stopped working since. I just haven’t invested the time in figuring out why so I am looking forward to responses from others.

BrentSimons and old_skool like this.
  12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Thanks. Appreciate the response. Unfortunately I’ve already watched those, numerous times, after being convinced I missed something.

I’m clearly missing something, but I’m not finding it in their videos.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Just snagged a Straight Ahead mini power amp. Going to see how that works with the Hx as a stand alone pre.

MascisMan likes this.
  14. jaysbassspace

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoboken, NJ
    You have two midi cables going correct? one into the stomp from the hx and one into the mc6 from the stomp? In addition take a look at their footnote at 1:48: "Also, make sure that both the HX Stomp and your MIDI controller are both set to the same MIDI receive channel for this to work.)"

Like I said I had it going for a little while then went back the next day and it stopped working.... so admittedly i'm not the best resource.

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Actually, I dont have two midi cables going.

Just one from the input of the HX to the output of the MC6.

When I switch input/outputs and have the HX send to the MC6 input I can toggle through presets on the HX and the MC6 responds accordingly, banking from 'Preset A' to 'Preset B' but I can't toggle the effects blocks on/off using the MC6's foot switches.

I am seeing now that in some of the videos they do have midi cables in both the send/return of the MC6 and the HX...

Just ordered a second cable. I feel like I'm on the right track now, thank you.

I'll see if this changes things and report back.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Peter Weil and jaysbassspace like this.
  16. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Afternoon everyone,
    I'm considering saving up for a Helix Stomp to increase my tonal flexibility while keeping my budget in check. How do you guys feel about how the unit emulates the Acoustic 360/361 and Ampeg and GK offerings?

17. jaysbassspace

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoboken, NJ
    There you go. Yep that's it, need to have two cables going. One from Stomp to send instructions to the MC6 and one from MC6 to send instructions to the Stomp.

mdalamond and old_skool like this.
  18. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth The best metal for bass Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    In case anyone is interested, I tried powering my Stomp from a single output of the Ernie Ball Volt that I use to supply power for my Nano board. It works, but the Volt gets HOT. I've ordered a current doubler cable with a 2.5mm head from Stompin Grounds, and I'll report back once I see if running off two outputs instead of one keeps the temperature down.

keatz likes this.
  19. I use the Ampeg SVT and the SVT4 Pro (my personal favourite) and it sounds awesome. I've seen a lot of cool presets using the GK too

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Nice! I have two GK amp heads and I love them. I hope I'm not tempted to downsize :smug:

BrentSimons likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021