1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 Lowdown 110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flintlock, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Righty....

Within a week of playing the bass, I inadvertantly signed myself up to a band. Theres a huge shortage of Drummers and Bass players in the area....

So now I need a decent amp for practicing with other people. In this thread here a lot of people wax lyrical about the line 6 lowdown 110. Now basically this is about the right watts for what I'm looking for, but I'm a little apprehensive about the amp size. Will 10" be able to keep up with the guitar and drums? For the same money I could buy something with lower watts and a bigger speaker size...which looks like it makes the line 6 a little inefficient :p

Alternatively I have this very old amp that was passed down to me. Its around late 70's, brand is 'HH' and model is called a 'Studio-60'. Its 100w with a 12" speaker. Now I have no idea whether this amp is for guitars or bass, but it certainly doesnt like the low E and starts to make a humming noise, making me think its a guitar amp. Basically a strange thought occured to me...what if I replaced the speaker with an 100w 12" bass speaker? Would this bass proof it? Would it be cheaper then a new amp? and would it actually work? :p It does sound pretty sweet with a guitar, and the equaliser has lots of variables on it :p If so could anyone recommend a driver?

Our guitarist uses a 35w practice amp, and our drummer uses an electric kit through a kustom dart 10fx

Sorry if this is all full of noobie comments, I'm pretty new to the llower end of the spectrum, having played treble instruments all my life.

2. renegiust

renegiust

Nov 3, 2004
    Seattle
    Our guitarist uses a 35w practice amp, and our drummer uses an electric kit through a kustom dart 10fx

Based on this info...yes, the Line 6 110 would probably balance well. I use mine for low volume rehearsals (classic rock, etc.) all the time...works great IMO.

3. I played the 300w for a while at guitar center I liked all the little additions to that thing and it had some great tone

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I took delivery of a Lowdown 110 in July after demoing one at the local GC. The GC floor unit was noiseless. Unfortunately, the amp I received put out a lot of extraneous noise and crackle, so I sent it back.

The noise is a known problem with the Line 6 folks (go over to their customer support page to see what they say), but they don't seem too interested in correcting the problem. That's disappointing, because the amp otherwise has a lot going for it.

People say it's expensive, but I don't know many other $250 giggable 75W 10" combos with a super-compact form factor. The idea's a great one, but Line 6 really fell down with the execution.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've tried several at GC and was not particularly impressed. I didn't find them to be as loud as the SWR WorkingMan's 10s I've used, which are similar size/weight/power. One of the Lowdown 10s had been abused and the baffle board was crumbling--cheap particle board does not inspire confidence.

FX were OK but I didn't feel like the speaker would handle the fatter-sounding drive/synth models at rehearsal volume. IMO you'd be better served picking up a used combo in that price range--Peavey, SWR, Yorkville, and Fender have made a lot of good ones over the years.

Maybe try contacting the chaps at http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/ about your HH. If the speaker cabinet is open-backed (not sealed or ported) and the amp has distortion and/or reverb, chances are it's a guitar amp and will not work well with bass.

6. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have the Studio 110 and I use it as a portable practice amp with a semi-acoustic group I play in, a late night practice amp (when the neighborhood is sleeping), and sometimes as a recording amp. However, there is no way it would be sufficient to use when I practice with my other band that has 1 loud guitarist and drums.

It is a great little amp. But if you have drums and are going to play at any kind of decent volume level you need to be looking at one of the other Lowdowns (if you are going to get a Lowdown) IMHO.

7. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Ok, has anyone got a recommendation for a cheap-ish (can stretch budget further then £180, but not a lot further) combo amp? I've tried a fender rumble 60 which was fairly good sound quality, no crackling or distortion at all. Plus it had a funky light. Which is of course vital.

I'm thinking about a stack, but I'd prefer to save up much more money and get a good one in a year or so then buy a crappy one now and be stuck with it.

As for the old HH amp, it...kind of has distortion. It has two inputs, one high gain one low gain, and a knob for how much. I was just wondering if it was possible to convert it to a bass amp for...fun really :p I'm fairly sure its for a guitar (doesn't handle the low notes well at all).

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you're practicing at this point and you have the luxury of having electronic drums which means keeping up will only be an issue to the degree you have access to his output control.

75watts is no man's bassland to me in terms of an amp. Something small, light, and portable for testing mods/whatever and dinking or something that will at least do stage level (200-300 watts anyway) with the usual line outs are the range considerations.

I would use your guitar amp under the current scenario and save your money up while you're checking out other gear (and perhaps a bass speaker cheap). It's not like using a guitar amp for bass is anything new. Just respect the speaker or you'll be looking for a replacement. All you really need to do at this point is get the lines down - and that's easier to accomplish at a brighter tone and improve your technique in the process. There's not much bass under 80Hz anyway and that's what eats up your power to project them.

I would also add your location to your "profile". Recommendations like your asking for are often different in different locations.

Also, in your position I would seriously consider an MB LMII when you get the funds. Not because it's in vogue but because what it is - a best buy in my book and portable as can be to boot. Plus is sounds good at practice amp level. You can choose a cab that suits your taste when you get to that point. I had one and returned it but I sure wouldn't have if it was the first amp I'd bought. It's not an amp you'd ever have reason to sell if it was your first buy - and there's not a lot of gear that fits that criteria.

Also, look into tieing into your drummers cab. Might get you the lows you'd be lacking otherwise - and chap a drummer to boot!

9. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Ok thanks!

I already have a bass amp, but its around 12 watt no namer thing. I was thinking using the old guitar amp cos its a bit bigger.

I'll probably end up saving up for something 200-300w or a cab and head if I can. Only thing is that both my amps sound cruddy...but I can tolerate that...at least until I go insane and break them...

I'd love to go into the drummers cab, but he's using a 10 watt guitar amp :p Its actually incredibly loud for what it is.

Thanks for all the help!

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I own one.
    Good practice amp.
    Cool tone.

Not good for live playing with drummer.
    But good for drum-less gigs.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LMAO. I had no idea what a Kustom dart 10fx was. Sounded good though. :D

Nix the part about needing access to his output control.

It's tough to tolerate a sound that sucks but it's a lot easier when you're starting out cause your playing is probably going to suck as well.

You could get a decent sounding usded combo for half of the LMII new. If you run across one at price you know you could resale for in short order, then it would be worth a look on the road to an LMII/whatever. That would be a good temporary fix/transition and no money down a rathole unless it had reliability issues in the interim.

Another plus with the LMII is it's a set it and forget it amp. It's not a hard amp to get good tone from. VERY user friendly. It's almost the perfect amp short of having more power than you'd ever need.