Line 6 Lowdown 300 smartfx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dan springer, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dan springer

dan springer

Mar 10, 2016
    When I power on my amp more times than not the setting changes on the smartfx control. I normally leave it in the off position, but it will sometimes power up in the off position and then change to chorus or octave... or it may start up in one of the other positions. Usually it will correct itself in a few minutes or I can turn the knob back and forth a few times and it will work like it should. My question is "Is this a pot that can be cleaned with contact cleaner, or would something else be the culprit.

2. It is normal for a Line6 amp to power up with effects you do not want. These would be pre-programmed effects and they do sometimes take a second or two to load. The Line6 system is designed to be user-changeable, effects-wise.

The simplest thing to do before looking at anything else is to adjust the effects right after start-up to whatever you want them to be and then save those settings to a bank that has a current setting you don't like.

For example, if the setting at bank 20B is one you will never use then save the settings you adjusted after startup to 20B. Then, turn the amp off for about a minute and then turn it back on. It should immediately default to bank 20B and your settings should be exactly as you programmed them a minute before.

If something other than the above happens then you have an electronics problem that contact cleaner is unlikely to fix, IMO.

I use different banks to get 4 different tones & effects for each type of bass I own. Bank 28 is Fender Jazz tones, Bank 29 is Fender Precision tones, Bank 30 is vintage Gibson tones, Bank 31 is modern Gibson tones, Bank 32 is Hagstrom tones, etc.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. dan springer

dan springer

Mar 10, 2016
    Thanks, Old Axeman. Sorry for the delayed response. From what you are saying, it sounds like some kind of electronics problem which usually occurs at startup. My preset on the SmartFX control is completely counter-clockwise or off. About half the time on startup, either the filter (9 o'clock position), octaver (12 o'clock position) or chorus (clockwise position) will be on. After a few minutes, it will go to the off position. Sometimes after playing for an hour or so, it will go to chorus. When turning the control clockwise and then back it tries to go to the off position and the indicator flickers between filter, octaver, and chorus. All other functions seem to be working properly.