Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 LowDown bass amp, info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesMan845, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Ok, so the new bassplayer issue with George Porter on the cover has an ad on pg35 from Line6 saying they have a bass amp which incorporates 5 stage perfected amp models and 5 must have effects built in. There's a direct out XLR. It looks from the picture it may have an input for the Variax bass but the ad doesn't say and in typical Line6 fashion they announced a web site to showcase the product and the page is not up yet.

Anyone seen one anywhere or have more info? Figures this comes out now, 2 months after I buy a GK 700RB/112Neo and the Line6 POD XT Live...

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    NO info yet, I am interested. Looks like a good practice/recording rig.

3. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl

May 17, 2005
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Do you think it has user definable presets?

Nevermind found it:
    "4 Programmable Channel Memories"

Too cool! Can't wait to see one.

5. it looks like it could be a perfect practice amp... few tone choices & few effects to boot!

I am very curious as to whether it is ext. cab friendly, and the weights of these amps... shouldn't be too pricey, but Line 6 is usually pretty high the first time around. I just got a SWR Workingman's 12, but this could replace it in the near future... we will just have to wait & see....

6. pretty nice...in between basses, effects and amps, line 6 seems to give a pretty good selection of tones.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I would like to know the prices and weights of those babies.

8. Size and price are the 2 things I'd like to know. Sounds like a killer practice amp, but not of it has a 15" speaker, too big then

9. I am also very curious to know if it is extension cabinet friendly... i agree with dees - the weight is gonna be a big factor for a lot of people....

on the other hand... this would make some kid (or grown-up) a fantastic first-time amp.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Same here.

11. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl

May 17, 2005
  12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  13. Are those prices in US dollars?

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I spoke to someone about these amps who has many years of experience with Line 6 stuff. He Loves Line 6 processors, but he says the amps have been less stellar. He says on multiple models they have used speakers that were not capable of the frequency range coming out of the processors, and as a result, blowing speakers is common. He cautioned me because he thought the situation could get Worse now that they are getting into the bass amp business.

Comments?

15. Prices are competitive. I really dig the clean and rock settings.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's one sound they missed - Upright.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Maybe this apples and oranges but our singer uses a line 6 spider and whilst it's a nice amp there's definitely better out there. At the end of the day it's just a line six pedal with a speaker attatched. All line six do is try their best to replicate other amps (and they do it quite well) but if you want a particular sound I'd say go for the original instead of the copy. I think a good amp with good tone and decent processors would be a better way to go for that sort of variety. Instead of bassing yor sound on a replica of another amp which lets face it will never be got down to a tee

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I suppose it comes down to cost and convenience. You could change your amp and effects out for every style of music you play, or get one amp that emulates/models/replicates the sound you're after.

Getting a clean amp and speaker then adding appropriate processing would work, but needs more setup and cables and may have features you'd never use. It'd be nice to carry in, plug in and play. (Giving the weight is reasonable)

I think line 6 is right on track with these for some players.

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think the idea is to have a variety of sounds instead of just one sound. I understand what you are saying. If you want that Marshall amp sound then get a Marshall, but what if you only need that Marshall sound for a few songs and the rest of the night you need a Fender Twin type sound? Modeling isn't perfect but it will get you in the ballpark as far as sound goes.