1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 M13 first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Jan 4, 2012.

1. So I went ahead and bought an M13 and I am not sure it is so suitable for bass. Most effects thin out the bass sound pretty badly. I am running a compressor and graphic eq prior in my 1st 2 slots and then mods or filters in my last to slots.

Any suggestions? The Compressor should go first , correct? I wanted a simple q filter but it has a variety of filters but none as simple as an autowah for bass. The reverbs and delays are awesome but I wasn't really planning on using them for bass often.

I planned on having this as my effects board to save money on a whole slew of effects. I will play with a while more before I trust myself in a gig with it.

Any users want tshare tips I am all ears,

2. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    Sell it. I had one and agree with you on your assessment.

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're running both a compressor and a Q filter type effect, you probably want the compressor after the filter.

4. The filters don't like strong input signals.

5. +1 to aledeville. Compressors don't like strong input signals. Distortions don't like strong input signals. Filters, some synths, triggered effects, all suffer from a strong input signal.

'Strong' is kind of a loose term here also. I can't push any of my basses past about 6 (on a 1-10 scale) and get a good response from my M13. I'm OK with that, but not everybody is.

I recommend the Tron up or Tron down in LP or BP (BP should have a mix of roughly 50% depending on your taste, but the LP doesn't need the blend). Turn your bass all the way down and then bring up the volume of your bass while you play until the response sound pretty decent. It's not going to sound like a Q-tron or Groove Regulator, but it isn't awful when you find the sweet spot on your bass. If you are using the Trons, I'm guessing that you are just getting a high pitched squeak with almost no quack. If you are using the Q-filter, that is just a fixed filter; like leaving a wah parked on one setting.

In the Tron's LP mode, there is a really narrow area where there is good quack and decent low end. Turn the freq knob all the way down, then turn it up until just 1 column of LCD bits is on the left side of the indicator bar. That's where I like it. Any thing higher, you start to lose bottom, but with it all the way off it is too muddy for me.

I don't think you need the comp until you get the filter dialed. Bongo reviewed my M13 so you can check his review and compare it to what you need the comp to do.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I don't use yellow (drive) effects on my M13 for the same reason, but everything else works as well as I expect them to.

7. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I have one, and use mainly for guitar. Filters/Wahs are weak, don't like the compressors at all. I like most everything else.

8. So, in general should I put the compressor last in the chain? I bought it because I only need a chorus, a flanger, an octaver, an autowah and some dirt every once in a while. I can use my rack compressor if needed, I was just trying to simplify. For the price it seemed like I was covering all my needs I won;t be using most together.

9. I'm not really a comp guy, so I don't use them very much. The exception to that rule is the tube comp, which should add a whole bunch of fat to your sound at any setting. If you're disappointed in the lows I would drop that at the end of any chain I have going.