1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

line 6 m5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by a_ribbon, Nov 4, 2013.

1. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    i already have a zoom B3 that i use for most of my effects. i like it a lot. there's a few things about it that i wish were a little better though.

i'm looking at the m5 for the octave effect, phaser, and chorus. i'm hoping someone that has/has had both could tell me if the ones in the m5 are better and if it's worth picking it up as an addition to what i'm already using.

it wouldn't be my main effects unit. i'm really happy with the synths, filters, delay, flanger, etc in my B3 so it's not going anywhere. it would just be an addon to what i already have.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    It sounds like you want to do some experimenting with your set-up. If you're feeling saucy about adding some other effects to go with your zoom b3, then yeah. the line 6 m5 would make a great edition to your zoom b3. you can use the line 6 m5 for other effects that you may like.

3. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I own an M5 and a B3... I actually use them both and do think they have some cool differences.

M5 -
    Expression controls a' plenty- multiple parameters at once.
    The octaves are pretty nice and the pattern trem is more usable IMO. I also like the individual chorus, delays, and reverbs just barely better than the B3, but the B3 has the ability to stack, and retain the lows in the effected state better IME.

4. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    that's very nice. is the wah any good on the m5? i'm not sure if i'm going to get an expression pedal to go with it or not.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I really like the envelope control option on the M series' trem. The octave is good, and some of the fuzzes but I couldn't get along with the filters.

6. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    There's a bunch of wahs on the M series and I've used one with an Ernie Ball expression pedal for a long time on my guitar rig. I have not tried them on bass.

I do *not* recommend getting one of the plastic expression pedals from Line 6... they suck big time. I recommend the EB over the Mission because they're cheaper and quite durable.

7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I think you'll find the filter and wah functions a bit better on the B3... I think the M5s sound a little harsh on bass, but they will cut through a mix...

8. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    M5 on Bass sounds bit too thin and artificial to my ears. Zoom I had was slightly better in this department however both can't compete against standalone pedals.
    I used M9 for guitar tracks and, again, its sound quality is acceptable should you use it for backing tracks or more for effects but purely as main sound effect I say Line 6 is still not there.

Just my 2 cents.

9. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    no one asked about individual pedals. go ahead and spend thousands on the five sounds you get from your "real" pedals and i'll stick with getting tons of tones at a reasonable price. ;)

10. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    Good point. But what's the purpose of having tons of mediocre sounds vs few good ones that someone would actually use? I had few M5s and M9 as well as Zoom and so wanted all of them sound well and inspire to play but sadly to me they always fell short.

There's no right or wrong in music obviously, so whatever floats your boat, correct? :)