1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 m9 stompbox sim questions...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Apr 15, 2010.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    I’m lusting over the line 6 m9 stompbox simulator and have some questions… first of all… do you recommend it? And how do you deal with it not having a master volume? For example, If I want a hi-gain distortion… can I keep the volume low so I don’t distort the net effect in my chain?

Thanks in advance!

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    There are a lot of threads on the M9/M13 and I'd estimate the 90% or more like it. You can search for that info.

Yes, you usually turn down the volume on the effect just like you would with any other stompbox. This unit really behaves like stompboxes, but with so much more versatility.

3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i know... i've read those threads... im concerned about the volume thing beacuse i dont know if all stompboxes have a volume set... do they? or are they jus like gain/tone/bass/whatever with no volume?

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In general, the M9/M13 pedal patches offer controls that mirror the original pedals. So, yeah, your M9 distortions and ODs will have controls for gain and volume.

5. All of the distortion/EQ/Comp section have some sort of post effect volume control. Almost all the rest have a mix knob to blend the effect and that can be used to tame volume on the few other effects that change the volume.

Volume can get out of hand on a few of the filter patches, and when a delay or reverb starts to oscillate out of control. These all have controls to reign in that noise, but I'd expect you'll run a few of them out of control before you figure out how to keep them in line. Then you can decide you don't want to keep them in line.:bassist:

6. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    great!

so things on the m9 oscilate?

im using zoom b2.1u right now and i went from love to hate... no i just look down to it as a piece of crap... delays dont oscillate, if you change the time setting they "forget" whatever they were playing and you start with blank new delay... its awfulll...

by the way, im gonna use a feedback loop with the unit once i buy it... an yexperiency' is it juicy?

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    the effects in the M9 behave exactly as the real effects they are based behave.

8. I'm going to be dumping a large part of my pedalboard for the m9. Can't wait.. :D

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Well, to an extent. The models are good. I wouldn't call them great, but I've never been a big Line 6 fan. I tried an M13 to see if I could replace my board and decided against it, partly because I didn't love the filters or modulations. Mostly because I felt the dirt models behaved very differently like their analog counterparts, particularly when run after a reverb or delay -- I either got a wash of noise or next to no effect from. Delay >> fuzz sounds are a pretty essential part of my board right now, so definitely a deal breaker.

I did like the delays and reverbs a lot, as well as the built-in looper. I'm not sure I like how they set up the gate/vol/comp, but I guess I'd get over it if I liked everything else.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Buy an expression pedal and you then have an easy access volume control. Buy two an dyou have a volume and expression.

11. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    I would say if you have a chance, try it out first. I had one, and I almost loved. The effect I use most often is chorus, and I could never quite get the chorus sound I wanted. I did try to place it thru out the chain, but never found a setting I was truly happy with.

I loved that it was like a stomp box
    I loved the fact that you had a ton of tone combinations at your feet
    I loved the looper
    I loved how easy it was to modify parches

Most of the effects that I used on it were pretty good quality

I liked the chorus OK, but did not love it (main reason I got rid of it)

I did not line that fact that you could not run it thru the effects loop from the amp. Major bummer when I figured that out. I thought I could live with it, but found it to be more trouble than I wanted,

For me, I probably should have bought the M13, because I could have run in thru the amps effects loop, and I could have bought a chorus pedal and run it thru the M13 effects loop...

12. +1

I love everything about the M9... except the I haven't been able to setup a good chorus sound. I think it's in there, but I have yet to find it.