1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AboveTheBridge, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I'm relatively new here, and I was wondering if I could get your advice between a few amp companies. I seem to be having a hard time choosing between Ampeg and Line 6. I know that many bass players are against Line 6 (Or so I've seen), but the Line 6 seems amazing with its tonal options, which include an Ampeg amp on clean. So which should I choose? Btw, I was looking at the Line 6 LD 300 Watt Bass Combo.

Thanks

2. Personally as a long time ampeg user, I would choose an ampeg.

But whatever your feeling, After all you've got to pay for it and use it.

3. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I love my Line 6 gear, but given the choice you're presenting, I'd go with Ampeg. Too much "stuff" to break with the LowDown.

4. JC Dillon

JC Dillon

Feb 22, 2007
    Central Fla.
    It really depends on whether or not you will be happy with an emulated sound verses the real thing. IMHO, nothing beats the real thing...except maybe silocone/saline implants, but that's another thread topic alltogether!:bag:

Seriously though, if the Line6 sounds good to you, then go for it. If cost isn't an issue (as it is to 99.6% of us) then go for the Ampeg. I'm not sure how the two compare cost wise, though. Another thing to consider maybe ease of use. Does the Line6 have a bunch of setting and knobs and other things that will tempt you to play with it for hours on end, dialing in the right sound? That may be your thing. I like simple, for the most part. Ampegs don't take to much time to fiddle with to get a good sound. However, sound is immensely subjective. I'm sure their are many TB'ers how would spend weeks fiddling around with a 3 knob amp!

5. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    +1 USA Made Ampeg

6. I have owned a line6 bass pr before and i have to say that it is cool in the studio but it lacks live. Very fake and weak. Go the ampeg if you like the heaviness that is.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021