Line 6? Or not..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jack Rose, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jack Rose

Jack Rose

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm currently looking to condense my pedal board to a single multi-effects unit for my live shows. I want a quicker and smoother set up on stage. I am currently playing in a Hard Rock/Metal band. With my current pedal setup I use a boss bass distortion, sansamp driver, boss chorus, boss bass synth, an organ pedal(the brand escapes me now), and a tuner. I am looking for something that allows me to use all of these sounds and expand beyond that.

I have been doing some research and I have come across a couple of different choices and I would like some opinion and suggestions.

I've seen some pretty good stuff on line 6 bass pod xt live and the HD500x. Both of these units have a floor and rack models, but I havent seen much on the difference between the two, or if someone wanted to use the respective pedal and rack together live. But I am also hearing the HD500x doesnt do very well with bass? Not sure about that.

Then on the other hand, Ive seen a lot of good things on the boss ME-50B and boss GT-10B. Based on a couple of videos they sound great. Anyone have any experiences with these? They also seem easier to manage and tweak over the Line 6s.

Many thanks for helping!

2. Hi there,
    I've had my Bass Pod XT for years. I love it! It has tons of possibilities. You just have to be patient and tweak, the tones will come.
    I have mine hooked up to my SWR 350x through the effects return bypassing the amps pre. It's strong points are definitely the amp Sims but some of the effects are pretty good. I've heard that the HD series is an upgrade soundwise but you only get one bass amp sim the Ampeg B15.There are additional bass amp packs but again you only get the Ampeg SVT and the Gallien 800rb. Although I would probably be set with just those!
    Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Bass Pod XT and I'll try to help you out.
    Take care,
    Brent

3. My death metal band is currently looking to go all digital, and after testing a few bass amp/cab settings on one of my guitarists rackmount PODs (can't remember the exact model) I decided I would keep building a pedalboard. Every tone I tried sounded tinny and artificial, and this is through 2 15" cabinets with the tweeters mostly down. My suggestion would be to go with one of their stompbox modelers - the M9 and M13 seen to get a lot of love - and then invest in a decent DI/preamp to get the amp emulation you're after.
    My plan is to have a small pedalboard (compressor, OD, 2-channel preamp, maybe a chorus) that can get a good mic'd cabinet tone that I can send right to the mixing board, and then use my cabinets as monitors so I don't need to rely on house speakers and we can use the stage monitors for just guitars and vocals

4. Jack Rose

Jack Rose

Dec 9, 2015
    Thank you guys for your insight. I really appreciate it!

I feel like I should also sau that I have a ampeg SVT 7 Pro head coming out of a ampeg 6x10 cab. So with the line 6 models I'm not really looking for cab modeling, I'm going more for effects.

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Used the BassPodXTLive for about 10 years and changed over to the HD500X recently. Added the basspack and haven't looked back since. The HD500x makes "building patches" a LOT easier as you can do it all on a PC or laptop with the edit software. As long as you do the following, it works out great:

1) Build your patches with great headphones or good speakers or your rig.
    2) Verify your patches via your rig AT STAGE VOLUME < here you may find you need to tweak them
    3) Go through all patches setting the perceived volume to be as close as possible so there are no volume jumps between them when you change
    4) Put the volume pedal at the end of the chain unless you want to use it to control the ampsim dynamics

Sample of building an HD patch(without the basspack). LANGUAGE WARNING at some points.

PS: the OCTAVER tracks a LOT better than the XTLive.....quite amazing. I use it to avoid carrying a 5 string for only a few of 400+ songs, even switching mid-song to get the low notes.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Johnny,
    Was there a noticeable improvement in sound quality? I've been considering the HD500x as well. How would you describe it? Are you using it the same way with your dirty and clean patches?
    Thank you in advance!
    Brent

7. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    I was on my 3rd XTLive when it also got "a corrupt patch" or some such nonsense. The BEST it ever sounded was, believe it or not, running the output through a microphone tube pre and then into BOSE:)-() or a biamp rig or ACME rig.

The HD is a zillion percent more flexible and does sound better. It does have the Jet Flanger(Mars Cowling of Pat Travers used 'em) that works well. The main things it seems to be missing, or I haven't found them yet, is a multi-band graphic EQ that works as well as the XT's did. With the XT all I had to do for the SVTsim was set it like my late 70's SVT was set and it worked(right on the edge, clean when you play soft, dirty when you play hard) and BOOM there was a nice SVT clonesound. The XT graphic added to that allowed one patch that made any bass sound like an angry RIC.

How am I using it?
    Kept the "factory" bass tones, got the bass pack, and set up similar 12 tones as I had on the XT. Kept some guitar patches that seem to be useful or could be with tweaking(clean and distorted ones and about 3 of the space cadet sounding ones). I still have some open channels/patch locations that I want to upload keyboard patches into that I've found(guitar ones but tweak them for bass pipe organ and synth). I LOVE having the built-in DI's as those go direct to FOH at our house gig place(good PA) with the line out>10band MXR pedal EQ cutting all lows out>Behringer Hartke clone(Bx1200) on my right ear as a monitor for mids/highs and I get lows from the drummer's monitor and PA subs.

Describe it?
    Complicated but flexible. It does sound a LOT better than the XT and it fits perfectly in the HELIX backpack bag(I got one). The Helix bag also has 2 other compartments on it: 1 fits a SansAmp programmable 3 tone DI(my Line 6 backup in case it fails or gets hurt at a gig), the other it for a laptop but it holds my cords, strap, mic(vocal, carry my own), etc.

PS: Guitarist got a Helix(he's been a Line 6 guy since they came out) and it sounds unreal. At soundcheck last night(charity gig), he did some sort of echo/looper thing and it sounded exactly like Queen's Brighton Rock, the harmony echo section heard here:

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. I'd love to hear about some of those SVT patches if you recall your settings?
    Brent

9. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    For the XTLive?

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I won't go into as much detail as the others, but my HD500x has been great. I did not add the extra models, however. I'm more of a Fender guy and found that the fender pre-amp models were a perfect building block. I use compression, chorus, octave, and a drive (tube screamer model) that I put in the parallel path to create a clean blend. Sounds phenomenal. I've been playing with some other patches but so far have been sticking to my "base" patch for most everything.

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. Yes please if you recall.
    Brent

12. Excellent thank you!
    Brent

13. Johnny Crab

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Be a day or 2.
    We played last night, 4-1/2 hours of sleep, day job, and then somehow it's my birthday.......
    I'll look them up, they're on my PC an edit file and post back between now and Sunday.

Note: The Solodano clean amp is GREAT for bass in the HD500X.

hbabels and BrentSimons like this.
  14. No rush at all! Thank you.
    Brent

15. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I tried this amp on Pod HD 500 & you're right it's voiced great for bass! Midrange control especially. Thanks for the suggestion !

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021