1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 PODxt for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I have a Line 6 PODxt Live effects unit for guitar that I use frequently and it's great. Does anyone know if I can use if safely for bass also? I know the new POD X3 is for both guitar and bass but I only recently bought my xt and don't want to get a new unit. It would be great if I could use it for my bass too. I don't need it for much....just some overdrive really, but it would save me having to shell out for a whole new unit. Thanx. :bassist:

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think it'll work fine. I know the Pods can download the bass modeling pack and make them basically into a bass pod too (100 bucks orso).

3. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Hey thanks...I didn't know that. Maybe I'll buy the pack then.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    It'll work. In fact, any guitar effect works on bass.

What you might notice, though, is a lack of bottom end. Some guitar effects tend not to hold the lower frequencies well. This is especially true with overdrive and distortion effects (which is why you'll see "bass overdrive" pedals out there all the time, but you'll never see "bass delay" or "bass tremolo", etc.).

Cranking up the bass knob on the POD's EQ or for any of its effects will only boost what bass frequencies are still there - it won't replace what was filtered out by the effect.

I've never used a regular POD with bass, though, so I'm not sure what you should expect in terms of bass response with its onboard effects and amp emulation. But it will work fine regardless - you might just wonder why your amp doesn't sound deep. :D

5. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Thanks Mystic Boo.

OK, need some help here. I just bought the Bass Expansion Pack for my PODxt Live, and I can see all the bass amps and cabs on the actual device, but when I use Guitarport to try and edit my tones on my computer, they aren't showing up. I can see the Metal Pack that I bought previously but none of the amps go past #72. How can I get the bass expansion pack to show up in Guitarport? I've upgraded all my drivers, turned the POD on and off again, rebooted....everything. I don't want to have to edit tones directly from the POD as using Guitarport is so much more user friendly. Help!

6. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    I have the PODXT with all the Model packs including Bass.
    They work fine and I did some recording with it and sounded great. However, I tweaked one patch that I use all the time. To have 37+ bass tones is a little too much. But, it is fun to toy with.

If you have troubles with Tone Port make sure you have the latest Monkey! call tech support. I have before and found them very helpful!