1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 Relay G90...Is it really all it's cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JakeTrippATW, May 19, 2011.

1. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Jul 3, 2010
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Gripick Guitar Picks
    Last year I bought one of the Relay G90 wireless systems. I bought it simply to escape the tone coloring that analog systems usually did to bass guitars. The first several months were great. Excellent cable-like tone, no tone sucking, interference, etc. Lately, however, it's been an absolute pain to use live. During soundcheck the last several gigs, It ends up fizzling out as if it's being killed by some kind of interference, which unfortunately forces me to run through a guitar cable for the entirety of the show. I know that the Line 6 relay systems are supposedly resistant to any kind of radio interference, but having it fail to work ONLY at recent shows, while it operates perfectly at home or during rehearsals, seems like a rather unlikely coincidence. And the fact that both my guitar players use the same exact systems, and have never had any sort of problems. Just today I was told by my studio engineer that wireless systems that are more budget-friendly tend not to be as dependable in the long run. So is it a waste of money? Is there a system out there better suited for bass that doesn't completely kill your tone?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you're sure there's not two of you on the same frequency? i don't know much about them, but i've been using a couple of the little original x2's for close to 3 years now and have yet to have a problem, except once in a while i'll get a dropout if i don't maintain a good line of sight. it might be true that they don't last as long as the expensive stuff, but being expensive is no guarantee against breakage. i'd call line 6 and see what they have to say.

3. There's a rumour about that Line6 are having some serious quality control issues with their digital wireless at the moment. The tech is great, but they can't cope with the massive spike in demand. My church ordered four of the V70 mics and two of them were faulty out of the box (one kept popping and the other had some nasty hiss). I think the tech is there, but they need to improve production to keep up.

4. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Jul 3, 2010
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Everyone's on a different frequency. And honestly on stage I never stray far from my rig at all. I'm hoping for the possibility of it just being a transmitter issue, although I still haven't heard any news lately from Line 6 about producing replacement TBP12 transmitters.

5. Nomad5

Nomad5 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Cord?

6. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    ..of course I mean the shortie....

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Warranty Replacement (it's cutting out) ... then see if it still does it. IMHO.

8. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Jul 3, 2010
    Rocky Mount, NC
    That's another possibility I would hope.

9. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I just picked up a G50, and after a lot of reading it seems the biggest issue is the cheap a** cord that comes with the unit. I ordered a replacement Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: Line 6 - X2
    at the same time.

10. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Jul 3, 2010
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Are these cables made for the relay systems? Ive had a hard time finding one that's supposedly compatible with them.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, like Jimmy - I've been using the X2 stuff(XDR-95) for over 3 years(several hundred gigs), and it's been flawless other than 1 trans cable replacement, and one trans who's jack got ripped right out by a dumbass singer - accidentally, of course...

I'd contact Line6 and see what they say...

- georgestrings

12. These use the same frequency range as a great many wireless computer networks. If you have a laptop or wireless network locating device, check to see what channels the strongest wireless networks in the area are using, and use something else. If you can get a distance of at least 2 channels away from both the local wireless networks and your buddy's g90 system. That would be the best route to prevent interference.

13. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    Call Line 6 if you ever have issues. They have great customer service and are probably aware of any consistent issues and working on them already. I've used the X2 for a few years and it's absolutely fantastic other than it devouring batteries like they're going out of style.

A Relay 30 is on the way. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Everyone I know who is using any of the relay's have nothing but good to say.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    There are some excellent rechargeables out there. Search on TB Relay 30/50. In the thread is a link. Way cheaper!:)

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I've been using LI-ION rechargeble 9v batteries by HiTech for awhile now, with outstanding results - I would strongly recommend buying them from batterymart.com - excellent service and price there...

- georgestrings

16. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes. In fact that's how they've marketed them.

Got mine - works great and it's nice to have a 90 degree input. BTW, I'm using a G50 and have been very impressed over the last few gigs.

Cheers,

17. Get the 9.6 v rechargeables, I've had good luck with them. Even just the NiMH 9.6 volt batts last an entire show with no trouble. The immedion works well, and doesn't lose a charge when sitting, so you can charge it after the gig, pop it in, and be ready for the next gig. Stock NiMH tend to self discharge if they're sitting for a while, better to pull them off the charger the day of the gig to make sure they're fresh.

Lots of "9v" rechargeables are really 8.4 or even 7.2 volts. They tend to not last long, as the voltage droops too much under load and as their charge is depleted seeing as how they start out lower than 9v anyway.

Randy

18. i have a g90 and had to send it for repair within 6 months. I didnt get it back for over 2 months, and they ended up replacing the transmitter (with a refurbed one) I also bought a spare transmitter. I still think it drops more than any cheapo wireless I ever had. i really cant say I would recomend it to anyone. If I had it to do over I wish I had bought the Sennheiser instead of listing to the GC salesman

19. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Are you sure that the antennas match what the software shows? I ask because we had an artist whose unit started to fail and we went down to Staples to find that the antennas were on the front but the software was selecting the rear spot in essence, no antennas. Just a thought. Has it been failing all the time or in certain venues? Any thoughts on what may have changed?

20. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Jul 3, 2010
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Yes, everything worked perfectly at first. Even in the same venues sometimes it would work, and then the next time it wouldn't. Called Line 6 a while back and shipped the unit out to them. They said it was an issue with the antenna on the transmitter that was easily fixed and covered by warranty. They shipped it back in less than a month, good as new! Haven't had as much as a signal dropout with it since!